Seat Belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Belts

Advice on seat belts: Brands you like etc. Links on good methods of installation... I've put this off too long so looking for advice... My understanding is a lapbelt is about all that somewhat workable.

A loaded question for sure.. i just installed seatbelts in a 30 Tudor which we're purchased from one of the suppliers.. i bolted them to the seat cross brace using plates and washers. Installed the short non -adjustable side of the belt closest to the doors. I've heard all the debates about this or that like do or dont mount them to the frame for fear if the body detaches you will get squeezed like a pimple. My personal opinion is it may help you from being ejected sideways but the big ass steering wheel inches away from your chest will probably do you in anyway,,,, belts or not. JMO
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I installed seat belts in my 31 tudor. I used the seat cross brace like Mitch explained,but I installed the adjustable part next to the door side. This way nothing gets in the way. It does make me feel saver driving with modern cars

Comment

I also put the regular lap belts in my 30' Tudor. i put the retractable type for the front seats and I'm sold on them. I followed a great detailed install set up, courtesy of Bill Lee, that really made the job go smooth. I will try to attach it. He did an excellent job in his instructions and it's about as safe as we can expect without major modifications to those Tudors. Oops, PDF file is too large, if interested, just email me or private message and i'll be glad to send via email. I can look up the vendor as well if needed.

Comment

They may keep you in the vehicle, so that as Mitch says, the steering wheel crushes your chest. Or the gas runs out of the tank and you get roasted by fire. This is a never ending discussion, with strong opinions on all sides. I can tell you I did 30 years as an 911 EMT, also as an EMS advanced rescue instructor. Seat belts in modern cars and air bags have really helped to reduce physical trauma to the human body. I can also tell you the energy that is exerted in a crash is huge, way beyond what a Model A Ford was ever designed to be subjected to. So it is your decision, is it better to be thrown clear of the crash and deal with the issues that all brings, or say inside and deal with flying parts (including seat belt parts), crushing steering wheels and fire..... Your life, your choice. To me it is kind of like a seat belt on a motorcycle, not saying it will not help some times, but in most cases you will be a mess with or with out them.

Comment

Originally posted by JtownJoe View Post
            I also put the regular lap belts in my 30' Tudor. i put the retractable type for the front seats and I'm sold on them. I followed a great detailed install set up, courtesy of Bill Lee, that really made the job go smooth. I will try to attach it. He did an excellent job in his instructions and it's about as safe as we can expect without major modifications to those Tudors. Oops, PDF file is too large, if interested, just email me or private message and i'll be glad to send via email. I can look up the vendor as well if needed.
            This is the link for the install instruction mentioned above.

Comment

I installed seatbelts on my 31 Roadster, and certainly don't regret it. While the inside of the car may pose dangers, flying headfirst into a tree is a far greater risk.

Installing seatbelts in a Roadster is a lot different than in a Tudor, but same general idea. I bolted mine into a steel plate cross member under the floor pan, not attached to the frame (for the reason explained earlier - I don't want my abdomen being the one thing that holds the car body from dislodging from the frame!).

Comment

I installed seatbelts in the rumble seat as well, so I can take my kids with me in the car, and not be afraid of them bouncing out. I need to come up with some padding to put over the rear deck area so they don't smack their faces on a metal ridge.

Comment

In order to proceed one step further from this Cast-In-Stone ancient Ex-Cathedra Model A Shoulder Seat Belt Religious Dogma, just called WESCO to try to open a highway safety window and verify their having several indicated "Shoulder Lap Belt" designs that they report could be incorporated into vintage Model A's to prevent bumping heads on steel dashboards; bumping heads into Model A vertical glass windshields, and/or maybe preventing being violently thrown into one's Model A steering shaft after the Ford soybean material Model A steering wheel breaks.

If someone goes on line, or calls WESCO, one can look further into their different types of "WESCO 4-Point Seat Belts" , (and most importantly installation details), where both the waist lap belts and "shoulder belts" may be attached to a solid steel "floor" structure immediately behind the front seats as opposed to having the shoulder belt(s) attached to an overhead steel bar or vertical side structural steel post.

As far as attaching a light tin can Model A body, or a light wood Model A body to a much heavier solid structural steel Model A structural frame weighted down with an engine, transmission, differential, undercarriage, and wheels ..... securing these light bodies should be comparable to securely attaching a tin can to an oak tree; or securely attaching a light wood frame garage bolted to a heavy reinforced concrete slab down below.

Hope this helps to try to improve Model A highway safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                    I've heard all the debates about this or that like do or dont mount them to the frame for fear if the body detaches you will get squeezed like a pimple.
                    I've also heard this one and I ignore it. Even on this forum, there have been loads of pictures of cars after crashes, many of which left cars up side down, sitting on their rooves, wrapped around poles etc. I have yet to see one where the body detached from the chassis. I regard that as an old wives' tale.

Comment

FWIW:

Per reply no. 10, concerning Model A bodies leaving frames, even more incredible than wive's tales, is to look at pictures of Model A car crashes & "think" with an "open" mind about what securely fastened items fly off of and depart a Model A chassis in a collision:

1. The windshield wiper motor with only (2) bolts?
                      2. Any wheel with only (5) lug bolts?
                      3. The engine/transmission with only (5) bolts?
                      4. Any door with only (2) hinge pins?
                      5. A spark plug?
                      6. A starter with only (3) bolts?
                      7. Any bolted fender?
                      8. A water pump with only (4) bolts?
                      9. An oil return pipe with only (2) bolts, etc., etc.?

Not at all a big deal to insure securely bolting a super light weight Model A tin body to a much heavier Model A chassis & undercarriage by adding only a few additional bolts with large thick washers provided at tops & bottom of bolts.

For one humble opinion, so far only one or two past Forum photos showed tin can Model A bodies leaving frames most probably because of poorly maintained 86 year old wood body blocks and poorly maintained bolted body connections.

Comment

[QUOTE=H. L. Chauvin
                        For one humble opinion, so far only one or two past Forum photos showed tin can Model A bodies leaving frames most probably because of poorly maintained 86 year old wood body blocks and poorly maintained bolted body connections. [/QUOTE]

H.L.
                        Are you able to locate any of those pics and post them here?
                        3 ~ Tudor's
                        Henry Ford said
                        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

The only one (1) photo that I saw a few years back was on **** ****, (on what appeared to be a race track of some sorts), where only the rear portion of a sedan body lifted upwards from the chassis while the front firewall portion & gas tank was still attached. Forgot which gentleman posted this photo, but it may be under a seat belt subject.

In 1970 I witnessed about an 80 year old lawyer retiring and cleaning out his office. In the hallway, he had several old cardboard boxes full of several hundred black & white 8" x 10" photos of 1920's, 1930's and 1940's wrecked cars. He kindly allowed me to go through all of his very interesting photos of vintage car wrecks.

Having already owned and driven a Model A for 12 years prior to 1970, I was most interested to see how these various makes of vintage cars survived wrecks. I cannot remember seeing one (1) vintage car body that left the frame.

Appears inspection of 86 year old Model A body to Model A chassis critical bolted connections are never mentioned on Model A Forums ..... so it seems everybody assumes it is cool to be prepared to rapidly fly through the air in a lightweight Model A tin body without a chassis ..... with or without seat belts.

Seat belts or no seat belts, never a bad idea to "first" pay very strict attention to our 86 year old bolted body to frame connections.

Again FWIW, under all possible Model A collision conditions, just stop & think ..... please inspect our 86 year old body to frame bolts ...... the lives we might save may be that of our family or our own....

Comment

Model A safety opinions will always be different.

Have no idea how this scenario would work on a tour; however, maybe something to think about.

1. First, here is Charlie Chassis, who secures his Model A Fordor front and rear seat belts to two (2) different heavy, transverse steel angles securely attached to the body and chassis. He makes sure his Fordor body is "securely" attached to his Model A chassis.

2. Second, here is Timmy Tin Can, who secures his Model A Fordor front and rear seat belts to two (2) different heavy transverse steel angles securely attached to "only" the body and "not" the chassis. He does "not" make sure the Fordor body is securely attached to the chassis.

3. Charlie Chassis is traveling and is later side swiped by an oncoming truck where he loses control, and with his seat belt on and his Model A body securely attached to the chassis, his front bumper hits a telephone pole at 20 MPH.

4. Timmy Tin Can, (following right behind), is side swiped by the same oncoming truck, he also loses control, and with his seat belt on, and with his Model A body "not" securely attached to his chassis, his tin can body leaves the chassis, and his thin tin can front fire wall, (with gas tank attached above), hits the second telephone pole a little further down the road at 20 MPH.

5. Let us hope both survived.
                            Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 05-10-2017, 05:39 PM. Reason: typo

Comment