Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RG & JS Manual

Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards

It seems many folks have a misconception of what this amazing reference is all about. The book is a valuable resource like the Les Andrews, Service Bulletins, and others. This is not just for restoring or working on a points car, it is a regular shop manual as well. More work went into this book over the years than any other reference available. There are revisions and corrections as time passed and additional accurate information became available. No matter what level car you drive this is a must have book to own. These are available through either of the national clubs websites MARC or MAFCA.

I have witnessed over the years on forums a hobbyist asks a technical question and they are told to buy the book and basically shut up. (No answer or help given)... As witnessed here on the recent red steering wheel thread I posted the info and gave the page numbers from the RG / JS. I don’t see any issue with helping folks out here on the VFF as this is what it’s all about. Yes members should always be advised of what reference items they should get. There is a difference from asking a question VS continually asking to avoid buying the book.

My 2 cents, other opinions are welcome

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

I agree with Mitch on this, the first 2 books I bought. A few others given to me along the way. Another book that stands out is the Model A As Henry Built It.

Comment

• Edistoford
      Edistoford commented
      Editing a comment
      is there a restoration guide for a ford model aa truck that you know about?

• Dennis
      Dennis commented
      Editing a comment
      There ia a section in the back of the JS & RG for the AA.

I have book recommendations on my site. the RG&JS is the first listed. I also recommend subscribing to both national club magazines which help pay for the revisions to the standards.
    I've always found it odd that people will ask questions that could be answered from the standards thus showing an interest in the details (finer points) yet claim to have no interest in fine point.
    http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

I bought what I thought was going to be the whole thing. What I got was the latest update which appears to be only about half the book. Is there a way to get the rest of the book in pieces, or would my best route be to order the whole thing and just toss the part I now have?
      Member of Walla Walla Sweet A's - Model A club

Comment

Originally posted by Bill G View Post
        I bought what I thought was going to be the whole thing. What I got was the latest update which appears to be only about half the book. Is there a way to get the rest of the book in pieces, or would my best route be to order the whole thing and just toss the part I now have?
        You should be able to revision 3 which would get most of the rest. give Mafca or Marc a call and get the whole story. I think I'd spend the $55 a be sure. You could put the rev. 4 up for sale
        Last edited by Jim Mason; 02-25-2018, 01:10 PM.
        http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

• Bill G
          Bill G commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, I will check into that.

• Jim Mason
          Jim Mason commented
          Editing a comment
          I checked ebay. The only one I saw was prior to rev. 3.
          I think just getting rev 3 would still be lacking dividers, binder (I don't use the one provided) and some other stuff. Marc doesn't have the old book listed. I didn't check the Mafca site

• cpf240
          cpf240 commented
          Editing a comment
          When I ordered mine from MAFCA, there was a misunderstanding, and I was sent the rev 4 update. I called them, and got the rev 3 version, binder, dividers, etc with no problem.

• Bill G
          Bill G commented
          Editing a comment
          It turns out that the revision I got in July was revision #3. I called MAFCA today, which is where I got it in July. They are going to make it good for me. I think I am all set.

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s great Bill

The factory photos in the JS are of great help and suggest keeping the older editions back to 1974 (if one has them) which have different photos.
        Along with Dennis' post, the Model A Ford Album by Clymer, Henry's Lady, etc. show photos of original cars and accessories for reference.

Comment

• Jim Mason
          Jim Mason commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes! Keep the photos

I just bought it and need to start opening it

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          I started opening it much more when we were doing those daily JS questions.

If the question is simple and I don’t know the answer, I’ll look it up in the JS & RG and post it. But if it is a complex question requiring an essay answer, then I might refer the questioner to the book and suggest they buy one. I try to decide which answer will best serve the questioner.

Comment

Remember that if you only order the 2016 update it is not a complete book . You can order the other option that will combine both the complete old book and the 2016 update and you have to follow the instructions to add the updated pages as you remove the old pages . I hope this makes sense . Norm

Comment

• dmdeaton
            dmdeaton commented
            Editing a comment
            This is what I did, I hope I am up to date and didn't screw it up.

I left my old pages in place and put the new ones in front on each section. I have found that sometimes the info is not in the newest revision, but it is in the one previous.
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

you OWN a model a ford, you buy this book.....
            Last edited by Mark Maron; 02-27-2018, 03:12 PM.

Comment

I just ordered the latest versions (3 and 4, I think) of this. So many of my questions have been answered with info from the RG&JS, that I thought I need to have a current copy. The last copy I bought was 35 years ago, and I haven’t been able to find it since we moved 2 years ago.

Comment

You only need to order the most current, not the previous version 3. Good luck. And thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Maron View Post
                  You only need to order the most current, not the previous version 3. Good luck. And thank you
                  Actually it requires both unless the club has assembled them both into a set that describes it as such.

Comment

Believe it or not, as a Model A hot rodder, I have this book on the shelf as a reference guide. Updates are not that critical for me. I wonder it there is such a thing as a fine points Model A hot rod?

Comment

I don't know how they are currently doing it, but when I ordered mine a while back, I ordered the complete (V4?). But when I received it, I got the binder and V3, and a package of V4 updates. I then had to insert the new pages, take out the old pages, etc, with not much instruction as what to do with what. Very confusing!

They may be doing it differently now, don't know.
                      Alaskan A's
                      Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
                      Model A Ford Club of America
                      Model A Restorers Club
                      Antique Automobile Club of America
                      Mullins Owners Club

Comment