Weak front spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak front spring

This truck had a weak front spring which caused the drag link to rub the tie rod. The drag link actually had a flat spot worn into it. Note the distance now with a new spring. If your rods rub you also need a spring

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

My aa had rounded divots in the axle from the leaf eyes sagging so bad and rubbing.

Comment

The weak spring on my 30 CCPU was because the center bolt was broke, causing the spring to sag down. New bolt returned the spring arch to standard.

Larry

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Tudor31
        Front Spring
        by Tudor31
        This is a Tudor 1931 with a ten leaf front spring. In the last five years I have done a lot of work to get it in good shape. The attention has now turned to the springs and especially the front spring. I have a feeling that the spring is worn down, but I can't figure out if that is the case. The distance between the spring ends and the axle is about a quarter inch and the distance between the clip...
        10-16-2020, 08:52 PM
      • 1930 Closed Cab PU
        Spring Identification
        by 1930 Closed Cab PU
        Is there a way to tell how many leaves are in my spring while it is in my Truck?

Visibly I see only 6 leaves....
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        09-29-2020, 08:53 AM
      • Jim Mason
        d j, how is the spring..
        by Jim Mason
        Progressing?
        05-09-2019, 04:33 PM
      • Steve Plucker
        Marco's FRONT Spring Chart
        by Steve Plucker
        Marco Tahtaras did an excelent REAR Spring Chart showing just where the different individual springs went in a assembled REAR spring.

That being the case ...did he ever do one for the FRONT Spring Assembly?

I say this because I have several disassembled front springs and I do not know just where some of the leaves would go because they are of different lengths and thicknesses....
        01-20-2019, 05:08 PM
      • knuckl
        Rear spring with reversed eyes.
        by knuckl
        My reversed eye front spring went in easily. I can see that the rear needs to be spread. Of course a spring spreader won't work with it. I was going to use the K. R. Wilson spreader but I have been warned that it is a very dangerous tool. It was also suggested to dismantle the spring. Bolt in the main leaf by itself as it would be easy to spread by hand. Then reassemble the spring. What do you th...
        11-30-2020, 09:11 PM
      • dswoodh
        Front spring replacement
        by dswoodh
        Looking to replace the front spring and shackles on my 31 s/w. Welcoming any recommendations as to where to purchase, quality issues etc....
        02-01-2021, 04:30 PM
      • wrndln
        Front axle spring restoration
        by wrndln
        I have a question on restoring an original front spring. The spring is a standard 10 leaf spring. I have sandblasted the individual leaves. The question is: Should I epoxy prime the individual leaves before assembling them. I plan to use John Deere Slip Plate between the leaves to provide a lubricant. Any helpful comments would be appreciated on whether the leaves should be painted or just assemble...
        06-21-2019, 02:31 PM
      • Wobbly Dave
        1916 Front Spring Oilers?
        by Wobbly Dave
        I recently acquired a Canadian 1916 Touring T. I thought it odd that the front spring shackles do not have any provision for oiling. Aren't these supposed to have holes in the perches and springs for flip top oilers or something? It looks like there is a spot on the spring but no hole, just a ghost of a circle. They could not have originally been like this - could they?
        This gallery has 3 photos.
        04-11-2020, 12:20 PM
      • copgib
        How do you know when to replace Leaf Springs
        by copgib
        How can you tell when or if you need to replace the leaf springs in the front and back of a Model A Coupe?
        09-19-2018, 07:52 PM
      • 40B1930
        Roadster Front Spring
        by 40B1930
        Installed a new spring about a year ago and I have noticed a "hard/stiff" front end ride with shocks adjusted 3/8 turn out. The new rear spring with shocks at 1/4 turn out works great.
        I did notice that the shock arm ball is unseated on the left as I was taking these photos. From floor to center of bumper measures 19-3/8". Looking at the shackles angle position, am I missing something?...
        This gallery has 3 photos.
        08-30-2018, 11:23 PM
      Working...
      X