Power Outlets for GPS and Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Outlets for GPS and Phone

Here's a link to the outlet I use for powering my GPS and phone. Just cut the plug off and connect the positive wire to ground, and the negative wire to a convenient terminal, such as the rear of the ammeter, or to the starter switch terminal. Leave an inch or two of wire on the plug, and you can use it for some project like a jumper cable to keep a spare battery charged while you drive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25334309301...MakeTrack=true

I use a TomTom in my CCPU on 6 volts and it works great. If your GPS plugs into a USB port(5 volts), it will work on 6 volts. They usually have a GPS cigarette lighter power supply which has a voltage regulator circuit in it to keep the output voltage to the GPS unit constant at 5 volts. You just need to wire a cigarette lighter with the negative for the case and the positive to the center contact. With the case wired to negative, you have to insulate it from the Model A's positive ground when you mount it.
    Last edited by AL in NY; 02-21-2018, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Looks really good Tom for a 12v system. Where do you have it mounted? Do you need a regulator for it?
      What kind of GPS do you recommend?
      Thanks,
      Phil
      Last edited by Fixitphil; 02-21-2018, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixitphil View Post
        Looks really good Tom for a 12v system.
        Thanks,
        Phil
        The part is marked 12 volts, but this works fine on 6 volts and the USB port is a regulated 5 volts.

Comment

Thanks. What kind of GPS do you recommend?

Comment

I have a used Tom Tom that works well.
            If anyone wants it just pay shipping
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Sounds too good to be true.
              I'd like to have it Mitch.........just for the shipping??
              Last edited by Fixitphil; 02-21-2018, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I'll send you a check for shipping?? Tell me how much.........
                Can you update the maps or do I need to?
                Last edited by Fixitphil; 02-21-2018, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sold for just the shipping costs.

I think the map can be updated online free. You should be good with how it is now if you don't update it.

Email sent

Great, thanks much.
                Phil

Comment

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're welcome Phil

This is the one I use in all our cars. Seems like I got them from Amazon several years ago. I have a Garmin GPS in my pickup.

I mounted it up under the gas tank on the right hand side with Velcro (convenient for my wife and her ipad).
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                Alaskan A's
                Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
                Model A Ford Club of America
                Model A Restorers Club
                Antique Automobile Club of America
                Mullins Owners Club

Comment

• BNCHIEF
                  BNCHIEF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same thing i have as well. has a little indicator light so you know it is powered.

Phil everything is going out today and I will email you the tracking number. The gps is powered by USB or you can buy an adapter to go from USB to the common round power socket. The calendar you requested and some more VFF cards are included. I also made up some magnetic VFF buss cards that Bratton's will be sending out in their orders, now that all the flyers are gone. A couple of those are in there too. I just got in the Member pins yesterday so you will be the first to receive one. You lucky
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said
                "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

That's what my wife says too, "you lucky 'DOG". Thanks so much Mitch for everything.
                  Getting ready to go on a tour this AM (bus) with the local A clubs to the Nethercutt Museum in Sylmar, Ca. (Heard it is outstanding) We're (Linda and I) really looking forward to the day.
                  Thanks again for all Mitch and to all of my VFF Brothers,
                  Phil

Comment

• DaWizard
                    DaWizard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    See ya there Phil, I'll be the one with the VFF hat. Leaving in a short for the drive, but alas, taking the modern.

• Mitch
                    Mitch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Phil wear your member pin.. lol

Just watch the Wiz does not try to take it

• BNCHIEF
                    BNCHIEF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Keep saying Wiz how you like the pin Mitch sent me, where's yours?

• DaWizard
                    DaWizard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, I was there before the place opened and had my bright yellow club shirt and VFF hat on and not one came up to me with a pin, so he must be doing the later tour.

I left for Sylmar before I saw your post Wiz. Our bus didn't get there until 10:30 and we did the 1:30 tour. Sorry I missed you, Wiz.
                  Fantastic place.
                  Mitch, I didn't get my pin until I arrived back home. Darn!!
                  Last edited by Fixitphil; 02-25-2018, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• DaWizard
                    DaWizard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Passed in the daylight as I was already in the tour when you arrived. Oh well, never know when our paths will cross again. You coming down for the pancake breakfast?

No, I don't think so (we have the Antique Farm Equipment Show in Tulare, CA that weekend). Although I'm the editor of my clubs (Happy Honkers, Porterville) newsletter and just published it with a courtesy ad from your club.
                  Good luck on the Pancake Breakfast!!!
                  Phil

Comment

• DaWizard
                    DaWizard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Phil. I am not with the Orange County chapter, just figured you might be down as that is one of the years largest events.

I am with the Diamond Tread chapter, we have the Henry Ford picnic every year, which has been growing yearly, and I will let you know when we have that.

Great. my email is: [email protected]
                  Thanks...........Phil

Comment