Enjoying my new hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enjoying my new hobby

Greetings: I have only posted one or two times here, but I have been lurking for some time. I find that there is a wealth of information here and Lord knows, I have a lot to learn in the process of working on "Minnie" (Named after my wife's late aunt Minnie). I have enjoyed the help and encouragement of the local club. Already I have put in a new clutch and a rebuilt engine and new brakes with cast iron drums. Much of that happened in a club member's shop. Braking was pretty scary before.

As the weather has been pretty cold, I haven't been out in the garage much but occasionally there is a break in the weather and it warms up. When that happens, I have been out and about in the car. I asked my wife if she wanted to take a stab at driving it and she reluctantly said yes, and now she wants to drive it often.

Last week our garage door was being replaced and I had to move the Model A to the neighbor's house while that was being done. Later that day I got a call at work from my wife wanting to know the steps to starting the car. She did rather well, and her only complaint was that the gas shut off valve was so stiff that she needed both hands to operate it. Other than that, I think she's as hooked as I am.

Years ago I had a 64-1/2 Mustang that I owned for about 35 years. I got to know just about every nut, bolt and screw in that car, and that is happening all over again with Minnie.

I am an accountant as far as work goes, but cars have always been an interest. I also collect antique telephones and while I have an active Ham radio license, I haven't been on the air in a long time.

I live in Walla Walla, WA and one of the club members that I really appreciate my association with Steve Plucker, who I believe actually founded the club many years ago.

Thanks for letting me introduce myself,

Bill Geurts
    Member of Walla Walla Sweet A's - Model A club

Welcome Bill! Thanks for the introduction. You already know that you like it here: soon, you will come to love it here if that hasn't occurred already.

Comment

Bill it's good to see ya. You certainly have a lot going for you, a great wife, helpful Model A club and being near Pluck is a bonus. Minnie certainly received a good freshening up, so you should be ready to go when the driving season hits.
      Thanks for that great Intro
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Hey Bill, I bet ya that once the weather clears and warms up the wife will want to drive even more. This might be the right time to start looking for a car of her own.

Glad to know both of you are hooked on a wonderful hobby.
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Welcome Bill alot of us here are new and look forward to communicating with you. Hugh

Comment

Bill, a sticky gas valve usually indicates rust particles from the gas tank are jamming it. Pluck is a good source of info on how to take care of that. Pretty easy fix. He can tell you how to do it in less time than it takes me to type it.

Comment

• Bill G
              Bill G commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. I will do that.

I had to give my wife the car
            but I found me a project
            she likes it also
            i need to hide it
            welcome, I am new to the hobby also and jumped in both feet

Comment

I worked in the wheat and pea harvest one summer back in the sixties in the Walla Walla area.

Great country and people out there!

fried okra

Comment

They still grow wheat and peas here. Our friend Pluck knows first hand.
                Member of Walla Walla Sweet A's - Model A club

Comment

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you already tapped into the secret... "Enjoy the adventure"... Chap

Comment

Bill has been enjoying the adventure now for quite sometime,,,Just went on his first major tour, the "Smooth Rider Tour", back in September and things went great for him and Debbie and Macy.

All he has left now is the upholstery and pin stripe.

Pluck

Comment

Welcome.............everyone is welcomed here.
                      "Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience"

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• 2manycars
                        Another sad day at Bill's Place in the Country
                        by 2manycars
                        Some of you may remember that a few months ago I had to take my girlfriend to a nursing home, as I could no longer provide the care she needed in her deteriorating condition of Parkinson's disease. Well today I went to the home to say goodbye, as she is moving to a facility in Florida, in the community where her sister lives. My daughter will take her to the airport in the morning, as I could not...
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.
                        01-04-2019, 05:18 PM
                      • Mickey
                        Had a "first" today
                        by Mickey
                        As you all know driving an A will always get you attention but today was a first for me. I was making a run into town (10 miles) and wanted to stop by the bank's ATM. Entering town a pickup truck was pulling out of a driveway well up ahead . It seemed to be waiting for me to pass. It had plenty of time so I just figured they wanted to see the A. As I passed the lady driver waved enthusiastically....
                        12-10-2020, 05:13 PM
                      • Rob Patterson
                        I missed the boat with this Early Ford Story.......
                        by Rob Patterson
                        Our Model T came to us when my Father passed away and my Mother asked me to find a home for his car collection. At that stage the T looked pretty miserable as can be seen in the photo below. Sandy and I had gathered all the parts we could find so we could make the car look as complete as possible for photos for possible buyers.
                        But when I did find a buyer, Mum couldn't sell it to him, so if...
                        04-29-2019, 06:06 PM
                      • Jamey E
                        Wanted for display at local dealership
                        by Jamey E
                        As you guys all know, I do not have my own A yet. Tonight we had my son’s car out & stopped at a local gas station to fill her up. A lady approached us & asked if she could take some pics of the car. Of course we allowed her to & she started snapping away.
                        She went on to tell us that she works for a local GMC dealership that just recently purchased a Ford dealership about 45min...
                        09-01-2019, 09:08 PM
                      • Cape Codder
                        Club Membership
                        by Cape Codder
                        I often see clubs talking about how to interest YOUNG members into their clubs.
                        But I think the process should start with the Two National Clubs. Is it not a fact that if someone wants to go to a National they HAVE to belong to one of the clubs? Maybe someone would like to come and just see what it is all about and THEN decide which way they go. Am I missing something here?
                        10-22-2020, 05:26 PM
                      • Apple Green Wheels Rule
                        Antifreeze Info
                        by Apple Green Wheels Rule
                        Does anti-freeze really help a Ford Flathead Four run cooler in the Summer? I found from reading posts, seems this is as controversial as which oil?
                        05-12-2017, 07:51 AM
                      • 2manycars
                        Sad day at Bill's Place in the Country
                        by 2manycars
                        I had to take my girlfriend to a nursing home. Her Parkenson's disease worsened to where I could no longer give her the care she needs. 21 years of model A fun together.
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.
                        11-28-2018, 05:50 AM
                      • Howie1930
                        1930 Ford Model A Coupe "Elaine"
                        by Howie1930
                        Hello folks. Here is my newly acquired 1930 Model A Coup I am naming Elaine. Also over here, Post #311.

What I know so far is that this vehicle was purchased sometime in the late 60's by my Grandfather (Howard Engh-USMC) and grandmother (Elaine-USN) while they were stationed at Pear Harbor. My understanding is that it was purchased from someone in Hawaii who had it all disassembled and...
                        04-12-2020, 11:56 AM
                      • Hoogah
                        Calling all southern Texans (with our without your hat!)
                        by Hoogah
                        I meant with OR without your hat (how come I can't edit the title??!!)

I am on the MARC Facebook group (as well as way too many other old car forums!). I am posting here in an attempt to help out another member of that group who posted about trying to tidy up her father's estate in McAllen TX (almost Mexico!), including a swag of Model A stuff. Apparently her dad was well regarded in...
                        03-11-2020, 11:20 PM
                      • Apple Green Wheels Rule
                        Sarah doesn't like protection!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        by Apple Green Wheels Rule
                        Sarah runs w/o engines pans now but to protect her from unwanted objects entering her through the carb, I put on a Hi-Boy this morning. She runs with Zeny. She didn't put up much a fuss as I put it on her and afterwards we took a drive. More silent now from hearing the sucking noise coming from Zeny. We drove out the usual mileage, she ran fine, no spits or spats. Got back home and took a look under...
                        04-17-2018, 01:47 PM
                      Working...
                      X