Early 31 ccpu top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early 31 ccpu top

Dose the cotton batting on top only cover the wood and chicken wire, or dose the cotton continue down to the drip rails? Can anyone lead me to a thread on applying top material to an 82B? Thanks

There is no chicken wire. A layer of black duck cloth goes over the bows, then the cotton, only over the open area, not down to the drip rails, then the top material. The duck cloth acts as a headliner, and supports the cotton batting.
    Bill
    http://www.brauchauto.com/
    Eastern Connecticut

Comment

The pictures and comments at this link should help. http://www.modelahouse.com/tech/puro...3_document.htm

Bob

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Bob

• BudP
        BudP commented
        Editing a comment
        VERY informative link!

Thank you soooo much Bob, that's a great set of instructions. I tried to print them out since we don't have internet in the barn, but it would not print. We will be installing the top today as a club project for one of the members. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Yea, I’ve studied the top link above - including trying to print out some of the 31 pages. Not easy, and it’s hard to blow them up. Thank you too for the info on the top padding. I would have extended it over the sheet metal down to the drip rails. Now I know why they say you can’t have any dents on the sheet metal. The vinyl won’t hide much.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Paragon
          top material installation order
          by Paragon
          I'm ready to install the top material in my 30 coupe which has been painted, assembled on the chassis, etc. I read in one article that the upholstery should be installed first for ease of installation, then the top material. I'm in a position to move in either direction and welcome any thoughts on the matter....
          01-08-2019, 08:30 AM
        • Bill G
          '29 Tudor top installation
          by Bill G
          I have been getting ready to install my new top on my '29 Tudor. I have been studying the information at Marcos' website, particularly the article found here:

http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/roofinstall-1.htm

The chicken wire has been stapled to the bows and lays nice and flat all the way around, and the batting material has been measured, cut and fitted to lie on top...
          05-24-2019, 05:17 PM
        • Flathead
          Top kit recommendation
          by Flathead
          Does anyone have a recommendation on where to get a good top material kit for a 30 closed cab pickup? Mainly wondering if some kits are better than others or do they all pretty much come from the same source. All the top wood is new and ready for the covering. Thanks for any info.
          07-23-2022, 12:23 PM
        • Steve Plucker
          1928-1929 Open Cab TOP parts
          by Steve Plucker
          What is meant by the following parts associated with the 1928-mid 1930 Open Cab Top:

1. A-42330 Container (Top Curtain) Assy? Would this be the "container" that contained the Side Curtains for Open Cars?

2. A-77765 Deck (top) Assembly? Would this be the material that is on the very top of the roof?

3. A-37544 Strainer (Top Back Curtain) ?
          07-13-2022, 05:28 AM
        • Dennis
          Seat cushions 29 Tudor
          by Dennis
          I'm in the process of reupholstering my front seats and undecided on what to do about the cushions. The cotton batting is all lumpy and uneven. The original material had been covered with other material that had some padding sewn into it when it was tacked down over the original, but didn't harm anything. The frames, springs and all are in excellent shape except for the cotton pad. The original...
          10-22-2018, 12:30 AM
        • pAAt
          Top kit
          by pAAt
          I bought a Vicky vinyl top kit a few years ago. Finally got around to taking it out. I have enough for 2 PU's, but the half inch foam is a 1/4" already. It's a Juliano kit 10-20 years old. What can I use instead of the foam ? I've heard bad things about the foam. Heavy wool blanket, cotton blanket doubled up, or just buy the batting from ?...
          09-05-2017, 05:15 PM
        • Mickey
          Putting top back together.
          by Mickey
          What have you used for padding between the wood pieces or wood and metal. The old stuff looks like some kind of thin cotton. '31 coupe...
          12-27-2018, 06:38 PM
        • carolinamudwalker
          Sport coup top
          by carolinamudwalker
          My car came to me with a black fabric top. I like it but it is fading from being in the sun. What can I use to make it black again without it looking patchy? Could a good upholster go over it with a good fabric such as Sunbrella?...
          07-27-2020, 10:44 AM
        • rkmiller
          open cab pickup top bows/ irons tack strip replacement
          by rkmiller
          What is the material in the top iron/bow channels - wood or something else and has anyone replaced it before?

my original top bows/irons channel material has deteriorated a lot and I don't see an easy way to run wood back through.

When originally made, the metal channel must have been crimped around the tack strip.
          12-10-2020, 04:08 PM
        • slammin
          29 Tudor header?
          by slammin
          Still trying to figure out what I need to complete the car. Since the car has a new top, I would have thought all the wood was present. Checking the Fordwood site, they mention "header/front" under the top wood section, but don't show a sketch of what it looks like. I've looked at photos of Tudors that don't have a top or headliner and can't tell if something in mine is missing. I've enclosed...
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          11-09-2017, 12:11 PM
        Working...
        X