Armature markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armature markings

Cleaning up a rebuilt generator,found some markings on the armature ...triangle G, ace of spades..re winder marks? its been rebuilt at least once,maybe more..any ideas?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

I've seen some with FORD script, and some with date stamps, but I don't recall any other marks.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Terry, NJ
      My Growler!
      by Terry, NJ
      OK Tom and anyone else that knows what they're doing with electricity, I recently acquired a old growler. I know you test armatures in them by rotating it in the big Vee block with a probe, but not how to do it or what to look/listen for. Someone over on the darkside just got told his armature needed to be "Remagnetized" and that will be $90 thank you. Ignorant as I am, I wouldn't have fallen...
      07-25-2018, 04:37 PM
    • old31
      How much play in the generator armature is ok?
      by old31
      Is it ok to have play in the armature?

When I pick up on the bearing, I can lift up the back end about 3/4 of an inch. It spins freely, but I can wiggle the armature easily up and down....
      09-20-2018, 01:09 PM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      Lathe Marks on Powerhouse Generator
      by Tom Wesenberg
      It's not uncommon to see cutting tool marks across the outside of the powerhouse body, but all the ones I've seen have been from running the cutting bit across the face after the initial cut is done. So, it would be a single spiral groove from one end of the case to the other end. This is a 3 brush powerhouse, and it's the only time I've seen 3 concentric grooves cut into the case. I can't explain...
      08-11-2018, 09:21 PM
    • old31
      Headlight lens on a 31 roadster is one an original?
      by old31
      I just noticed that on my car I have 2 different headlight lens's. Is one an original and the other a repo or are they 2 repos. I would not no how to tell an original.

The first one has Ford written with little bumps and the words below take up 17 vertical lines.

The second one Ford is smooth and the words take up 13 vertical lines....
      10-24-2018, 10:43 AM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      Repairing a Bad Generator Armature
      by Tom Wesenberg
      I was sent an armature to repair some wires that got scraped away. I've never seen this happen before and wonder just what rubbed so long that it wore away some of the wires leading to the commutator. It must have been the field wire or power brush to stud wire. I had to splice in some short lengths of solid copper wire after I scraped away the lacquer coating. I also had to turn the damaged taper...
      This gallery has 4 photos.
      11-09-2017, 11:27 PM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      Generator Ready for Blastoff
      by Tom Wesenberg
      Getting the generator ready to blast off someone's poor paint job. The generator is in very good basic condition, but it is in need of a good restoration. The only sign of anyone having ever worked on it is the friction tape on the output wire. The picture shows where some of the field coil wrapping has fallen off. It may have overheated at one time, or just dry rotted away. It doesn't smell like...
      This gallery has 5 photos.
      03-10-2018, 10:23 PM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      Generator End Play
      by Tom Wesenberg
      I just had a question about end play on the common long generator. It's the front bearing that controls the end play, so if you can move the armature in and out more than a couple thousandths of an inch, you should plan on installing a new front bearing. The rear bushing (used March 1930 and later) almost never needs to be replaced. Often you can get by with a new front bearing, rivet/screws to install...
      06-02-2018, 05:33 AM
    • Paul
      Tools-Lack of Part Numbers
      by Paul
      It appears before and after the Model A, Ford placed part numbers on tools. Does any one know the company's reasoning for lack of numbers during this time?
      02-11-2018, 08:01 AM
    • Rowdy
      Low Radiator Shell With No Script
      by Rowdy
      Stumbled onto a 17-22 low radiator shelll with no script. I do not see any reference to any shells of that era without a script in the few books I own. Does anyone have any info on when these were used? Thanks Rod
      12-07-2017, 06:29 PM
    • Ayyy
      Vintage Spicer U-Joint
      by Ayyy
      I just found this little guy hiding between my driveshaft and transmission. I thought I would find a worn riveted U-Joint, but instead I found this lightly used vintage Spicer U-Joint. A .002" feeler gauge strip barely fits between the center Cross and the bearing Caps.

Based on the pickup's history, the U-Joint was probably replaced around 1960 when the engine was rebuilt. Maybe...
      This gallery has 7 photos.
      08-05-2018, 07:04 PM
    Working...
    X