Valve guide removal tool!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve guide removal tool!

Ok, who has an extra valve guide removal tool?

I went through all the drawers in my tool box and it appears mine has done a vanishing act!

I did find the ring compression tool, the slimmed down tappet adjustment wrenches, and a couple other tools that I knew I had, but that got shifted around into the wrong drawers, but the valve guide tool is missing.

I would like to use one that looks like a double question mark in the middle. I saw the one the vendors offer today, but I don't fancy smackin the head of a perfectly good valve to get the guide out.

Little help friends, I will mail it back.
    Last edited by DaWizard; 02-13-2018, 09:33 PM.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

I like the ones that fit under the valve head much better. Just be sure to use a 3/8" flat nose punch and keep it exactly in the center of the valve.

I also own the curly one, but that one can't remove a really tight guide due to flex in the curves.

Comment

I greatly admire your sincere honesty and humility in admitting that you are like just the rest of us, i.e., sometimes misplacing Model A items.

When you find it, you will realize that all of our Model A lost items are always found in the "last" place we look.

Reason for always finding it in the "last" place?

After we find it ............... we always quit looking!

Comment

You are smart to ask to borrow one. I have found that if I cannot find something, and then buy a replacement, the original shows up shortly thereafter, and then I have two to loose.
        Bill
        http://www.brauchauto.com/
        Eastern Connecticut

Comment

I don't have one in my VFF tool arsenal rental cage. If I did it would be yours.

So buy one for us to borrow
          4~ Tudor's
          1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I use straight stem valves, so if I have stubornd one just cut the head off and drive out guide.

Comment

THANKS all for the help, I found one locally that I can borrow. Actually from the last source that I managed to get hold of,
              You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Beauford
                Beauford commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry, I just saw this. I would have given you mine.

Every time I lose something anywhere, I ask my wife for help.

She only wants a concise description, give her about (5) minutes and there it is.

And, I'm not just saying this because it is Valentine's Day.

Comment

Originally posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
                Every time I lose something anywhere, I ask my wife for help.

She only wants a concise description, give her about (5) minutes and there it is.

And, I'm not just saying this because it is Valentine's Day.
                Can I borrow her???? Got lots of "lost" tools. LOL

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DougInAustin
                  Model A valve guide- need guidance :)
                  by DougInAustin
                  Hi all- I am a first timer exploring the valves in a Model A. I bought the car 2+ years ago, I had the head off to replace it, I figured I might as well look at the valves while I have easy access. A few of the valves wobble a bit when I am able to grab the top with my fingers and move them back and forth. I was able to take the valve keeper off the bottom and then remove the spring by hand for...
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.
                  03-18-2020, 04:29 PM
                • DougInAustin
                  Model A valve guide insert - home rigged tool
                  by DougInAustin
                  Hi all- just a disclaimer, I am doing my first Model A valve project ever!

I have read through a lot of forum posts and other online content about INSERTING Model A split valve guides back in the block. I haven't tried the freeze trick yet and oiling the inside and out is a given to help with installation. Also good advice from many to keep the split valve guides as pairs always, and...
                  03-22-2020, 08:39 PM
                • DougInAustin
                  advice for Model A valve work and new head
                  by DougInAustin
                  Hi all- I am researching what is involved with doing a valve inspection, adjustment, and lapping for my 1931 Model A. I purchased the car 2 years ago, I have no history on the engine. It is not currently blowing any smoke at the exhaust, and overall runs ok. It is lacking power when going up hills, but that could be a few things.

I originally was limiting my project to getting a high...
                  07-01-2019, 10:53 PM
                • Gary D
                  Need a KD 700 Valve Spring Removal Tool
                  by Gary D
                  I am in need of a good working KD 700 Valve Spring Removal Tool; not for a collection but one that functions for my use. Does anyone have one for sale? Picture? Thank you. GD
                  06-19-2021, 06:03 PM
                • Tudor31
                  Valve Guide Failure
                  by Tudor31
                  My 31 Tudor had a 20 psi lower compression on cylinder #3 combined with a ticking noise in that area. I started the work by removing the valve cover to check the valves, and as it turns out adjust the valves (didn't know adjustable tappets had been installed). The exhaust valve for #3 did not close at all which of course could explain the compression problem.

However, nothing changed...
                  10-26-2018, 08:42 PM
                • wrndln
                  Rebuilding fuel shutoff valve
                  by wrndln
                  I have some 28/29 fuel shutoff valves that look decent. I took one apart and the tapered part looks pretty good. However it has some very small scratches on it. Looking into the brass valve body also shows some very small scratches. It seems that valve grinding compound would be a little too course, but maybe it is OK to use. Is there something less abrasive to use that would remove the small...
                  08-06-2018, 05:17 PM
                • H. L. Chauvin
                  V - Sharing Simple Thoughts On Inexpensive Model A Wood Stands And Accessory Ideas -- Adjusting Original Valve Clearances With Original, Non-Adjustable Tappets
                  by H. L. Chauvin
                  Maybe lengthy ..... also provided with a very "rough" hand sketched wood stand diagram below.

When I first got my Model A years ago and adjusted my original valve tappet clearances, I did not even know adjustable tappets were available. So lucky ...... after adjusting my valve clearances, I did not have to readjust valve clearances for the next 36+ years ..... thanks to so many
                  09-06-2020, 05:29 PM
                • 1930artdeco
                  Valve lapping
                  by 1930artdeco
                  OK, I searched but could not find an answer to my questions. I am beginning to lap the valves and am using some lapping compound that the machine shop gave me-Permatex. So I started on #1 ex as a test. I have a ZIM hand crank lapper but it would not even budge the valve-even after I put oil on the stem and worked it around by hand. So, I used the long stem and did it by hand-worked decently (I just...
                  03-20-2019, 10:26 AM
                • Steve Plucker
                  Gas tank gasoline shut-off valve removal tool
                  by Steve Plucker
                  Has anyone ever designed a good tool for removing the gas tank gasoline shut-off valve without any damage to the valve itself?

That sure would save a lot of headaches if one were out there.

Pluck
                  07-28-2019, 09:27 AM
                • Steve Plucker
                  USA Valve Guides...
                  by Steve Plucker
                  Original type split valve guides...

Anybody make them?

Thanks.

Pluck
                  06-18-2020, 11:03 AM
                Working...
                X