Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 volt neg. ground wiring for coil, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt neg. ground wiring for coil, etc.

Attached is a dwg. from the net that may be helpful. It also shows how to locate a condenser away from the dizzy and up at the firewall. If an oil filled coil is used, the diagram has the terminals facing up requiring a longer coil to dizzy wire.
    Attached Files

Related Topics

Collapse

• Fixitphil
    Coil Wiring
    by Fixitphil
    When converting my A to 12 volt I've heard that you have to switch the two primary wires on the coil. Which small primary wire goes to positive and which to negative side of coil?
    02-22-2019, 09:55 AM
  • Richard Knight
    coil wiring
    by Richard Knight
    Would wiring the coil red wire to negative on the coil cause the coil to overheat and fail. Someone had replaced the coil in the past with a std. brand with the red wire on the passenger side of the car connected to the minus terminal. Thanks, Rick.
    10-26-2021, 11:40 AM
  • pooch
    Crab electronic coil ohms.
    by pooch
    Helped a mate with an electronic Efire crab dizzy today.

Would not go, after a couple of hours we found 2 things wrong.

Firstly the magnet drum had to be pushed right home to work and we could not get a 3 ohm coil to run.

Got it running on a 1.2 ohm coil.

Whether the 3 ohm one is dead or electronics don't like 3 ohms.

12 volt...
    12-24-2018, 12:50 AM
  • MIKE DERUITER
    coil problem
    by MIKE DERUITER
    HELLO I HAD A PROBLEM WITH A ELECTRONIC DISTRIBUTER SO CHANGED IT TO A POINT DISTRIBUTER . EVERYTHING WAS FINE FOR A WHILE THEN THE MAIN FUSE BLEW OUT AND THE COIL BURNED OUT . I PUT A GENERIC COIL IN IT AND IT WAS GOOD FOR ABOUT A 100 MILES AND IT BURNED OUT ALSO. IS TERE SUPOSE TO BE A RESISTER IN IT?. I AM USING A 12 VOLT SYSTEM WITH A ALTERNATER. THANKS
    08-15-2021, 12:36 PM
  • plyfor
    Condensor at Firewall/coil
    by plyfor
    Is there any issue with mounting the condenser up at the coil? 12 volt system with 16ga wire, internal resistor coil, etc. .
    03-11-2018, 07:55 PM
  • bosticjb
    coil
    by bosticjb
    Was told today that the dist wire going into the dist should be connecter to the + side of the coil I HAVE A 12V system Is this correct or have I been given bad info ?
    03-17-2022, 06:35 PM
  • canadian
    friendly discussion
    by canadian
    I have read about the big no no about mounting a ignition coil, terminals down on Model A firewall. I have a NAPA 12V internal resistor mounted upside down for 3 years. Brother rumbles by with 72 dodge Demon , nice 340 , while looking around I noticed ignition coil bolted on its side to intake manifold , factory dodge design. the same coil that I am using exactly, He says its been there for 15 plus...
    05-12-2018, 06:18 AM
  • troutyjim
    Coil question, need help.
    by troutyjim
    While prepping my 30 Coupe for a big car show next week and hoping to bring home the gold I noticed that both the coil and bracket on the firewall both looked a bit shabby and decided to give them a good cleaning and spruce them up a little. So, I grabbed the necessary tools and removed them both cleaned them up to be more presentable and then upon replacing the coil to the firewall I discovered...
    08-06-2021, 11:23 PM
  • plyfor
    Oil Filled coil orientation
    by plyfor
    We picked up a (12 volt) Standard -no resistor required- UC15T oil filled coil. The oil does slosh around inside. Research suggests these cylinder types can cool better than epoxy filled when the terminals are facing up. The Model A's have the terminals facing down. Does anyone have concerns about this?
    11-07-2017, 12:09 AM
  • WMWS
    Coil effecting speedometer
    by WMWS
    Today I changed out my coil to the flame thrower 40111. My electric tachometer is hooked up to the coil. Now my tac is showing fast for some reason. Any idea why.
    09-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Working...
X