A thanks to Mitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A thanks to Mitch

I for one would like to shout out a big "Thank you" to Mitch for the hard work he has put into making this forum a reality. It was sorely needed for a boatload of reasons. What I really like about it is that the toolbox drivers seem to be all over the landscape, and I don't think there has been one armchair driver.
    I find the dialogue to be of a very high quality; lots of interaction and lots of sharing. That, after all, was what the founders of the internet had in mind....sharing information

Just curious....what's the difference between a toolbox driver and an armchair driver?
    "Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience"

Comment

• tbirdtbird
      tbirdtbird commented
      Editing a comment
      see post #3

I agree.
    Any site that bans the good guys with the knowledge isn't worth supporting.

Comment

• tbirdtbird
      tbirdtbird commented
      Editing a comment
      haha I was just banned for life and I haven't even posted in 6 months!

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      AMEN Tom, there are better ways to get things accomplished IMO, dialogue is always a good start

Being BANNED for calling liars and thieves out publicly should earn a gold star. At any rate I had a year without alot of time on the computer. Big Thanks to Mitch for this site. Let the idiots in the hobbie stay over there. Rod
    Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

I also agree. Keep up the good work Mitch

Comment

I came over because of the knowledge pool and to bug the shat out of Mitch! Truly... it is wonderful to have a resource for someone like me who has never been in A but once and building one from the garage floor up. I'm pretty proud thus far and look forward to asking more dumb questions. LOL

Comment

• tbirdtbird
          tbirdtbird commented
          Editing a comment
          you should be proud; you started with only the molecules of a Model A! Good work!

Thank you sir! You guys helped more than you know!

Comment

I posed the same question on both sites yesterday and went out to mow 10 hours yesterday. I hoped for a response back when I was done and I did get a few, but they were all on the ***** ****. Bob, joe, and a Slug. I like to have multiple sites for info, like books, not all can help you when you need it. I know I can be a real pain in the ass, but I've done my time and don't really give two bits about it.

Thanks for this site Mitch ! It will make all sites better. Geez, I suppose I'll get booted from here and never get my AA running ! At least it won't be my fault
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Model A's and of course the famous AA's

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw your post yesterday but i personally don"t have the experience on the back end of the AA. I would rather see no responses than a handful of arm chair meaningless reply's as i do strive for quality. I believe one or two of those guys that helped you are also members here, so maybe they just saw it elsewhere's first or whatever the circumstance was. The beauty of it is you were able to get your question hopefully answered correctly and what really matters is you had more than one option to post it at. There is also an AA only site so if you have not checked it out, you may get more help there as it's more of a specialty place for them. To boot i see you were able to edit / delete your thread here on your own, try that on some of the other forums out there

• Bob C
            Bob C commented
            Editing a comment
            Like Mitch said I saw your question on FB first and answered it there. It's great to see the knowledgeable people that were banned on the ***** **** over here.

I warned Mitch back in May that it was great for me to have another site where I can be a PITA. Thanks a million Mitch!:D

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Smit

You'll be keeping us busy i am sure with all the cars you now own, one or two of every body style:0

pAAt, it will take a while for this site to catch on. Afew months is not a good judge as compared to the ***** **** being on line for 20 years and underwent an ownnership and format change 7 years ago. Trucks are a specialty and probably only 5% of restorers have dealt with. The only secondary AA transmissions I have dealt with are the 3 speed Warford and an early Browning. The Warford bolted in place of the short shaft and had clam shells and U-joints at each end. The Browning bolted directly to the rearend and had a sleeve attached to the pinion shaft. It used a shortened drive shaft. I have seen several of the underdrives like what I think you have, but have not messed with them. Give this site some time to grow. Several Model A friends I have talked to do not even know it exists yet. Rod
          Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
            I for one would like to shout out a big "Thank you" to Mitch for the hard work he has put into making this forum a reality. It was sorely needed for a boatload of reasons. What I really like about it is that the toolbox drivers seem to be all over the landscape, and I don't think there has been one armchair driver.
            I find the dialogue to be of a very high quality; lots of interaction and lots of sharing. That, after all, was what the founders of the internet had in mind....sharing information

Having another choice to retrieve and supply information can only benefit the entire hobby as a whole. I never heard the Tool Box comment before but i understand what it means, " the information that has been supplied here thus far has been first class and cordial", and will only get better as the site grows. I can see the seasoned veterans which we are loaded with are eager to help the less seasoned, or should i say the newer people in the hobby so this is a great thing. The VFF hit and user statistics charts have improved on every passing week so it is constantly on the rise. We continue to add little upgrades from your suggestions, such as the flashing/ pulsing Notification / PM alert and the red text.
            You folks have a great weekend and yes the herculean effort will continue with your help and support.
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• tbirdtbird
              tbirdtbird commented
              Editing a comment
              "are eager to help the less seasoned, or should i say the newer people in the hobby so this is a great thing."

Mitch, I would like to add to this comment. We were all newbies at some point. Many of us were fortunate enough to have an old-timer mentor us and show us the ropes. We were VERY fortunate. My mentor grew up with Model Ts and beyond. He almost knew more about vintage cars than the manufacturers did. He was a mechanic, restorer, appraiser, mechanical engineer, and toured the hell out of his cars, including taking a Model T fully across country from RI to CA for the '27 Olympics. Just try that today!

In this light, I think many of the pros that post here are trying to give back. Our knowledge doesn't make us better than everyone else; we are just trying to share it. And, after all, there IS more than one way to skin a cat; so good ideas land in my lap everyday here; things I had not thought about. Mitch's steering worm puller is a classic example.

The scariest thing to me now is that as a septagenarian, many will consider me an 'old-timer', but I don't have a tenth of the knowledge that Gil had. I think as we lose each generation, we lose a slight bit of experience that may never be replaced. A well-run forum can help retain that. Thus the importance of solid information
              Last edited by tbirdtbird; 06-30-2017, 10:31 AM.

Pat, Pluck's resources list from the technical resources section here shows these 2 AA sites:
            www.fmaatc.org (Ford Model AA Truck Club)
            www.aa-fords.com (AA Truck Forum)

Pat, I can't find your original thread to add this to. Dave
            Last edited by tbirdtbird; 06-30-2017, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              yes it is here is the link
              http://forums.aa-fords.com/

The web site thing is full of broken links and misinformation. It's hard to read ,find things and it's unorganized so basically it's a total mess. That's why for now i closed up the sub forum it was in and just made a sticky in the tech area. Vince has offered his time to redo it properly and make it usable

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              Dave see the last sentence on on my comment to Pat

• pAAt
              pAAt commented
              Editing a comment
              Dave, I deleted it due to no responses and the fact that I had received the answer I needed. Thanks for the info, Pat

Ditto, I have not a clue how Mitch has the time to do this and deal with his business... Thanks Mitch!

Comment