VIN number conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN number conversion

I cannot, fer the life of me, find a VIN conversion for Model A. I know it exists but I'm evidently search challenged. Help?

Here's mine: VIN #A627274

The Vin number is usually the engine number. Yours looks to be a November 1928. It's from the very last page in Les Andrews red book.
    Last edited by Mickey; 02-13-2018, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• EarlyBert
      EarlyBert commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, silly me. The engine & frame number is supposed to be the same. I was looking at the chart & it says "ENGINE" so I couldn't get past that. Sheesh!

• Mickey
      Mickey commented
      Editing a comment
      Your 627,274 falls between 585,607 and 697,829 which shows to be Nov. 1928. Actually 11/12/1928
      Last edited by Mickey; 02-13-2018, 04:26 PM.

• EarlyBert
      EarlyBert commented
      Editing a comment
      HMM, Plucks engine chart mentioned below shows 3/28/28. Thoughts?

You remember that "Red Book" bit me recently!
      Last edited by EarlyBert; 02-13-2018, 04:33 PM.

• Mickey
      Mickey commented
      Editing a comment
      You'Re coming up one number short. You're looking at 62,XXX rather than 627,XXX

• EarlyBert
      EarlyBert commented
      Editing a comment
      AAAH, yes. I see. What is the definition of an "AR"?

http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/studie...n%20Charts.pdf
    2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• EarlyBert
      EarlyBert commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking at the chart referenced above, it looks like 3/28/28 would be correct. Would this be considered an "AR"? It was sold to me as an "AR" model.

• EarlyBert
      EarlyBert commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha! Getting more educated. Do you know what dates are considered "AR"?

• Mickey
      Mickey commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry can't help with the "AR". It's not a right hand drive is it?

• EarlyBert
      EarlyBert commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope, It's LH.

• CarlG
      CarlG commented
      Editing a comment
      AR was never a designation by Ford. It generally refers to the '27 - very early '28 production vehicles. Sometimes only the first couple hundred off the line.

The date I have for that engine being finished and stamped is 11/12/28. As for AR cars, they are only "AR" because some of the parts were obsoleted and were the first 1928 cars that had the left hand brake lever and 4 wheel p-brake. The production of the passenger cars with left hand p-brake stopped formally in June '28, but there are a few passenger cars that were assembled after that with the left hand p-brake. Out here in So Cal we have 2 pickup trucks that are known 1929 builds with left hand p-brake. I have a July '28 Tudor with all the holes in body and frame for the left hand p-brake but is the center p-brake.
    Last edited by DaWizard; 02-13-2018, 05:14 PM.
    VFF Recruiter

"We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing ...
    NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

"Why so Serious?"

Comment

• EarlyBert
      EarlyBert commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the input Wiz.

A means it's the first design of that part, and R means it needs to be kept in stock as a replacement part because the following designed parts won't work in it's place. The early 21" wheels are an example of a part where the later 21" wheel can't be substituted for the first design. My 9-27-28 Model A might have some AR parts, or some BR parts, but it isn't what many people think of as an AR Model A. If someone calls your early Model A an AR, then they think of it that way because it has the left hand parking brake, and no separate parking brake bands, which started just before the middle of 1928.

Comment

Thanks for helping me with this. I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge & the feeling that there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        You would be surprised of how many others you helped by asking

Originally posted by EarlyBert View Post
      Thanks for helping me with this. I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge & the feeling that there is no such thing as a stupid question.
      Well, let me try..................is it OK to check the fuel level by removing the gas cap and using a match?

Actually, I remember Paul Harvey telling about dumb criminals that did just that while stealing gas.

Comment

YES, DUMB questions ABOUND, so do DUMB answers, get REAL!

Comment

Ignorance is curable,stupid should hurt. Bear in mind although AR is has mystique in the community Ford revised those parts and systems for a reason..
          Last edited by CM2; 02-14-2018, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EarlyBert View Post
            Never, we ask because we do not know.

Comment