Babbit recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babbit recommendations

Can anyone recommend a shop to re-pour and line bore model A main bearings in the North East? I have been using the Babbit Pot for a number of years but they are on vacation until the end of March and I would like to get this job started before then. Any recommendations in NH, ME, VT, NY, MA or CT would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Greg

Welcome to the VFF!!!

Try giving J&M a ring. They are a quality outfit with a great reputation in that area

https://www.jandm-machine.com/index.html
    4~ Tudor's
    1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Hey Zimmlitt, WELCOME to the VFF!!
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Welcome to the VFF. Jeff
        Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Give Al (no me) a call at Go Devil Garage in East Schodack, NY (near Albany), 518-477-6725. Does excellent work. I highly recommend him. Visit his web site "www.godevilgarage.com".

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Last edited by AL in NY; 02-13-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Al I forgot about them, so that is another good option

I can say that J&M should know what they are doing. They are aware of the science of babbitting and they have the high end tooling. I have not heard anything bad about their jobs. I have talked with them some about babbitt and their ideas all followed what I have learned about the science of pouring babbitt.

I know nothing about the other shop to make any comments.

I believe there is a guy George King in Mystic Seaport area. He certainly knows stuff, but I do not know about the quality of his work. He has some way to tin the block, but I do not know much more. He would not go into details.

Comment

• CM2
            CM2 commented
            Editing a comment
            he could tin the block?

• Kevin in NJ
            Kevin in NJ commented
            Editing a comment
            Years ago I was asking questions about the babbitting process when I was researching the science. I asked about peening and he told me he had a way to tin the block. He would not tell me what he did to tin the block. I know tinning the block is not easy and he is the first and only person that talked about doing it. I have mentioned it to others in the know and they scratched their heads on it. I can only report what he told me.

Thanks for the information. I will give both of them a call in the morning.

BTW I heard the George King has closed his shop at some point last year.

Comment

http://www.schwalms.com/

Comment