Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't be long

Getting there...
    Picked up some oxy and acc tanks today, I have a new set of hoses and gauges. Have sand blaster, paint sprayer etc.
    Contacted a paver to asphalt the barn floor which is dirt at the moment. Once insulated I will have to decide on what type of heat I want. Right now I am leaning toward wood stove. I have lots and lots of hard wood on my property.

I found some 4' T8 lights to hang, just have to wire them in which is not an issue. It has been 40 yrs in the making but finally coming together.
    Make sure all you pro's stick around, I am going to need a lot of advice as I move ahead on this ole gal.

I love wood heat. It's nice and toasty to stand by the stove on a cold day, and since you have lots of wood, it's cheap.
    I've never heard of asphalt inside a building, and wonder why it isn't cement?
    Can't use jack stands on tar unless you have plywood under them, and the same for a floor jack.

Comment

Be sure to get a vapor barrier down. I would recommend concrete also

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
        I love wood heat. It's nice and toasty to stand by the stove on a cold day, and since you have lots of wood, it's cheap.
        I've never heard of asphalt inside a building, and wonder why it isn't cement?
        Can't use jack stands on tar unless you have plywood under them, and the same for a floor jack.
        Cost, $1500 to do a 24x36 area, Vs $5k in cement. I would love to have cement, not in the budget. Yes I will have to protect the asphalt with a sheet of plywood. For the diff in $$ I will buy a sheet of 3/8 and replace when necessary.

Comment

Recommend LED lights. You will be amazed how many extra lumens, and a much brighter, surrounds you get. Cheaper to run too.

Larry Jenkins

Comment

• BNCHIEF
            BNCHIEF commented
            Editing a comment
            x2

Check Craigslist and carpet stores for old free carpet. I layed down plastic, then 3/4" plywood, then free carpet to make a nice floor in my Roundtop shelter.

I also layed down free carpet in my attached garage with my Model A's, and it sure makes it much nicer to get under the cars.

Comment

See if your paving contractor will pave it in 'lifts'...run a leveling course,compact it,then run a finish course.. shoot for 2" lifts 2 of them for a total of four inches..it will cost a bit more,but for a shop floor the added compaction this affords is worth it.

Comment

how about concrete in a limited area under a car for one of the bays, then asphalt everywhere else

Comment

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a good idea

wood stove
              I have the furnace addon from Tractor Supply. Blows me out of my 24x24.

Comment

Definately agree with buying LED lights. No bulbs or ballests to change, much brighter and uses less electricity. A mid range LED shop light will last many years. Replaced my flourescent lights with LED's two years ago and have no regrets in doing so. They even work great when it is cold in the shop. Florescents are nearly useless when it is cold. Rod
                At some point in time standardization was a creative idea.

Comment

I agree on all points - LED lights for sure - would not consider florescents even if they were free.

Asphalt is better than dirt but do not put jackstands or jacks on them. ASlphalt also gets eaten by almost every solvent (brake cleaner, carb cleaner, gasoline, engine oil, ATF, coolant after awhile) I'm with whoever said pour a small concrete pad for the car area and asphalt everywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaSlugs View Post
                    I agree on all points - LED lights for sure - would not consider florescents even if they were free.

Asphalt is better than dirt but do not put jackstands or jacks on them. ASlphalt also gets eaten by almost every solvent (brake cleaner, carb cleaner, gasoline, engine oil, ATF, coolant after awhile) I'm with whoever said pour a small concrete pad for the car area and asphalt everywhere else.
                    Good point, once gas or oil gets on asphalt it's gooey forever. I have a couple spots like that on my driveway. I agree with the idea of at least one working stall with concrete, then maybe sand or pea rock on the rest until you can afford to cement it. For sure lay down plastic, as Jim mentioned, to keep ground moisture to a minimum.

Comment

Here in Canada I believe asphalt on a garage floor is a Home Insurance Issue . Its a fire hazzard when combined with the right circumstances. I seen a garage floor done with concrete patio blocks 2ft square levelled and stabilized with compacted sand, 8 or 9 years old and no cracks.

Comment

Something sounds way off here.The last time I bought mix it was $84.per ton.I've been told it is close to double that now,although I have not checked.Your floor will take about 28 ton @ 3 inches thick of 3/4 binder.With the size of your building it will be all hand work,not laid down through a spreader.Keep your eyes open with pavers,some are pretty clever on pricing.It sounds like you may have gotten a price from a guy that said,$1500.plus materials.Plus,you will hear,groundwork,grading,and prep extra.

Comment

• JDupuis
                          JDupuis commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Welcome to the VFF Keith.

• DaWizard
                          DaWizard commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hey Keith True, WELCOME to the VFF!!

^^^Keith knows his A/C^^^ ...especially the part about 'crafty' contractors....welcome sir to the VFF

Comment

Working...
                        X