shoe centering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shoe centering

When I did my front brakes I asked an old timer that had been working on model "A",s since Dinosaur poop was soft, how to center the shoes. Just bend the ears up or down. Now, I built a 45 foot sailing catamaran in my N.C. back yard and sailed her in the Caribbean for 17 years. You learn not to cycle metal real fast, especially SS. I had my doubts but I went ahead and bent the ears and now I have cracks in all four ears. New roller tracks & rivets ordered and when they arrive those shoes will just have to wear in on their own, I'm not bending anything. I took pictures of the tracks but could not get them to load. Strange but the boat picture did sorry about that.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

When your old timer buddy was in diapers, and even today, this vertical upward and downward measurement for the horizontal surface of the front brake metal tracks is important for insuring the "exact" centering of front brake shoes.

(I think it was Mr. Marco who published this critical distance on the Ahooga Board maybe (17) years ago; and Mr. Brent indicated this Ford Shop critical dimension a few years ago on the site.)

After Ford's original rivets are removed, and new tracks and new rivets are provided, some tracks are re-installed with different dimensions.

Just like your senior friend, many others suggested bending the ears on the new tracks with something like an adjustable wrench.

Others weld up the tracks where worn and grind welds to resemble new metal tracks.

Someone may later be able to post this critical front track dimension.

Beautiful boat.

Comment

If interested, just added critical roller track dimension in Mr. carolinamudwalker's message entitled " Roller track cracked ears."

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• carolinamudwalker
        Roller track cracked ears,
        by carolinamudwalker
        cracked ears finally,...
        This gallery has 2 photos.
        02-12-2018, 01:53 PM
      • Dennis
        Brake shoe wear
        by Dennis
        Which end of the brake shoe wears the most? The end at the adjuster, or the end at the wedge?
        07-05-2019, 12:19 AM
      • carolinamudwalker
        Arcing shoes
        by carolinamudwalker
        Just my attempt to arc my shoes to their drums. I rotated the shoe back and forth in the drum until it moved smoothly. Could not find anybody that still did this in my area. I did not try to put the drum with sticky back sandpaper on the car but it would have been faster
        This gallery has 3 photos.
        04-24-2018, 09:47 AM
      • Bill G
        Questions about brake shoe centering
        by Bill G
        Centering of the brake shoes is done in the vertical plane for fronts and the horizontal plane for the rears, with adjuster shaft ends being the point of reference. Top for fronts and rear for rears. That makes sense. However, Andrews' book says to bend the roller tracks up or down to achieve this. Is bending those tracks in that direction even possible? Second question is about the rears. They are...
        10-30-2019, 04:13 PM
      • Terry, NJ
        Mechanical Brakes or I know I should look first.
        by Terry, NJ
        As the title says, but I'd rather spread the knowledge first! Here's my problem, Today I took off the front drums on my coupe, left side- fine. Right -side got a little problem. The shoe are low, like an off center low, like about 1/8 - 3/16" low. Ah so that's why I've never been able to properly adjust the right front brake! No matter how I tightened or loosened it, it was always dragging....
        01-09-2020, 06:57 PM
      • Keith True
        Brake floaters
        by Keith True
        Is there a new design brake floater being sold now? A man came by yesterday to get a new set of tracks riveted on his backing plates,and he showed me his new floaters.The wedge bolt looks like the old style floaters,with a hole in it for the floating pin.What is different is the head of that bolt,where the round retaining washer would be welded on normally has what looks to be a roller track.It would...
        03-05-2020, 07:20 AM
      • GranTudor
        BRAKE SHOES
        by GranTudor
        HELP!! I am redoing the front brake shoes on my late 31 CCPU. I find that some of the shoes do not follow the curve of the drum. i.e. a 1/4" space at the center of the shoe, with the ends touching the drum. New pads have been riveted on the shoes. No one in my area can do old brake shoes. I live just outside of Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. Any and all help and suggestions will be appreciated....
        05-15-2018, 03:36 PM
      • bosticjb
        BAD BRAKES
        by bosticjb
        Relined my brake shoes with new lining & had the drums turned and trued and now I don't have the braking power I had before , have put sevral miles and two adjustment but still very weak braking power,, any suggestions ?
        07-08-2019, 06:52 PM
      • Denis4x4
        Reproduction Hydraulic Brake Shoes
        by Denis4x4
        I'm in the process of replacing the brake shoes and wheel cylinders on my '29 CCPU with 39-42 hydraulic brakes. Ordered some new shoes (gold ones in the photos) and discovered some serious differences compared to the originals. The "ears" are a very tight fit in the wheel cylinders and there is a difference in how the bottom shoes arc on the backing plates. So, I had the original shoes...
        09-19-2018, 09:01 AM
      • Roadster Rich
        Brake Track Replace or Repair
        by Roadster Rich
        Trying to get this Town Sedan ready for the buyer. Agreed to get good running engine only, but now he wants it to drive in a parade in mid August. The brakes are pretty bad and I have to at least get it safe for a little while for him to use. All this effort and cost and no change in the sale price, but I guess that is par for the course when you sell to a friend.

I have some pictures...
        07-08-2017, 01:29 PM
      Working...
      X