Question on Mechanical Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Mechanical Brakes

Since my Model A has only hydraulic brakes on the back and nothing on front, does anyone care to guess what it might cost me in parts to put mechanical brakes on it. Trying to get some idea what my expense would be in parts. Thanks for any help. Hugh

Hugh, PM sent
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Thanks for the information. Hugh

Comment

• DaWizard
        DaWizard commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome

We just pulled hydraulic brakes off a Vicky and if they were going to be re-used it would require replacing all lines, wheel cylinders and master cylinder. The cost of these would go a long way for parts to convert back to mechanical. Fortunately we had enough spares to complete the return to mechanicals.

Comment

Thanks for that information. Hugh

Comment

I got the complete rear end including the driveshaft and spring, for helping a guy in our club move some Model A parts for a couple hours.

Your rear brake parts shouldn't be too hard to find, nor too expensive. Swap meets are probably the cheapest place to find them.

Comment

Ok thanks for that information. Hugh

Comment

Unless you've definitely decided to convert back to mechanical, I don't think there's much doubt that extending the hydraulic brake system to include the front wheels would be much easier and less cost. This assuming that the existing rear conversion was well done and in good condition.

Comment

• copgib
                copgib commented
                Editing a comment
                You are correct! I have decided to extend the hydraulic brakes to the front. I plan to purchase the parts I need and I already have found a mechanic that will do the install for me. I am a retire cop not a mechanic but I have no problem turning a wrench now and then. Hugh

Related Topics

Collapse

• copgib
              Mechanical Brakes
              by copgib
              Ok by now everyone knows I am going to put mechanical brakes on my 1930 Model A. I just got home from a 14-hour drive and looked under my car to take some photos of what was left after someone put hydraulic brakes on the back. Any and all input is welcomed, good or bad. Hugh
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 4 photos.
              05-08-2018, 09:01 PM
            • copgib
              Opinons needed
              by copgib
              I am looking for opinons on the following: Although alot of you folks think I should put mechanical brakes on my car I have decided to put juice brakes on it. I have contacted Berts on the parts and I have to decide whether to buy used or new parts from Berts. What is your opinon on this. Thanks in advance. Hugh...
              04-25-2018, 09:03 PM
            • canadian
              S10 Brakes
              by canadian
              Any members with information regarding adapting GM ,S10 Disc brakes using Original 29 Spindles?...
              01-03-2021, 10:23 PM
            • Patrick
              Brakes !
              by Patrick
              Once again, these brakes work !
              A vehicle pulled out in front of me and these old Ford brakes were locked up, all 4, at about 30-35 mph.
              I haven't touched or looked at these in about 5 or so years except to give them a yearly 'click'.
              07-04-2021, 09:05 AM
            • Captndan
              Brakes
              by Captndan
              I can’t remember. Who was recommended for rebuilding brakes?
              03-24-2019, 09:26 AM
            • bosticjb
              Brakes
              by bosticjb
              Finally I got brakes that will stop,, After sending my drums.shoes and e brake linings to Randy Gross and he worked his magic I now have safe brakes, If you want great service And quality workmanship call Randy Gross...
              10-13-2019, 08:04 PM
            • copgib
              Question for members who have juice brakes
              by copgib
              My question is: How do you have your emergency brake setup if you have hydraulic brakes all around?
              02-15-2018, 07:53 PM
            • bettlesr
              Flathead Ted's setup with '35 front brakes
              by bettlesr
              Can I use the Ted's front parts I used with the original '30 brakes on my car if I change the front brakes to '35 assemblies or are the modified parts different?
              10-17-2017, 10:58 PM
            • Jim Mason
              on subject brakes
              by Jim Mason
              08-30-2021, 01:12 PM
            • Doctor J
              Front end/brake problems
              by Doctor J
              My 1930 Town sedan was parked for over 9 months. When I got it out to drive, it started right up, but the front end shuttered every time the brakes were applied. I thought some rust had built up. Drove it around for a while, gently riding the brakes and it seemed better. But going down a real steep hill, I applied the brakes and the whole car jumped to the right every time the brakes were applied....
              08-01-2018, 04:29 PM
            Working...
            X