Just wondering about actual speed,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering about actual speed,

I wonder how many actually know how fast they are going. Even with the correct gearing the speedos can be off quite a bit after all these years.
    Mine shows 43-45 at a GPS speed of 40 and 57 at a GPS of 50. [as long as I know I don't worry about it.]

Well, I know the speed I am traveling because I did adjust the gear ratio in the turtle to compensate for my smaller tires. I still need to adjust the speedo to get it a bit closer, but I'm just too damned lazy to pull the dash and adjust it until I have a real good reason to. And yes, I got the odometer as close as I cold with available gearing without getting too exotic with the gearing. I did need to build my own turtle so the smaller gear would match up with the worm, but then, I'm a machinist so that wasn't too hard to do. Now that I have tested it against the GPS it is just a matter of getting up off my lazy butt to finish the job, but it ain't my top priority right now.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Take a look at the thread "And a Speedometer Question" started by WC Hall. If you have a round speedo, you can adjust the hair spring on top of the speed wheel to correct your MPH reading.
      Last edited by AL in NY; 02-11-2018, 03:20 PM.

Comment

i can tell you from experience it only takes a tiny tiny amount of adjustment of the hairspring to change the reading. I learned the hard way!

Comment

Mine was off in the tudor until I changed to 3.54 gears, and then it became correct. Just lucky I guess.
          Bill
          http://www.brauchauto.com/
          Eastern Connecticut

Comment

There's a little trick to adjusting the hair spring. Move the speed wheel to the speed you are reading currently reading (44MPH) and note the position of the hair spring adjusting screw(let's say 4 to10 o'clock). Now move the speed wheel to the corrected MPH(40) you want the speedo to read. Look at the hair spring adjusting screw and move it to the position you saw for the 44MPH reading. Your speedo should now be calibrated.

Sorry, I don't have any photos.
            Last edited by AL in NY; 02-11-2018, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• BNCHIEF
              BNCHIEF commented
              Editing a comment
              Al that tip is a keeper, any pics of what we are looking at, would be a good tech section how to as well and thanks.

Why are you playing with hairsprings on the speedos? You are supposed to change the magnet air gap. I believe on some speedos that can even be changed from the back without taking it apart if you have the correct tools. I was working on some SW round speedos. I set up a motor drive with a counter so I knew input RPM and used one of the charts from Bob Johnsons website.

http://www.cabriolet.modelahouse.com...ter/index.html

Comment

Kevin: the reason I posted changing the hair spring is because the fellow who rebuilt my SW round speedometer (Leonard Nickols) told me that is what I should change to correct small discrepancies in my MPH readings. Mr. Nichols is a noted speedometer rebuilder so I did what he suggested and my now speedometer reads dead on, not 3 MPH high.
              Last edited by AL in NY; 02-13-2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• WC Hall
                And a Speedometer Question
                by WC Hall
                So the speedometer in my 29 Roadster is overly optimistic, as in when it says I am going 50 Android Speedometer says no, it's actually 41. Then when 70 peeks around the corner Android says 52. I worried that the drive gears were wrong, but the odometer checks out about perfect. The speedo is a rebuilt my Dad bought when he restored the car in 2004, but unfortunately he is not around to ask if it ever...
                02-07-2018, 07:28 PM
              • Beauford
                Speed Opinion
                by Beauford
                Rusty's first 40 mile trip tomorrow to Field Days of the Past. The road has very few pull offs and has some pretty good curves. The speed limit is 45mph and we are leaving at 9am which means most work traffic is gone. I'm a little hesitant to go 45mph...I have a vision of the front end coming apart. LOL (really) I have checked everything and seems all good. Should I go 35 or 45?? I truly dont have...
                09-20-2018, 07:09 PM
              • Stormrider51
                Top Speed
                by Stormrider51
                Considering trading my '79 Jeep restoration for a '28 Ford Model A pickup truck. Current owner says top speed is 40-45 mph. Does this sound right? I can't seem to find that information. Not a problem unless it's indicative of a problem.
                Thanks, John
                06-03-2021, 03:40 PM
              • Captndan
                Speedo
                by Captndan
                How would I check the accuracy of the speedometer. If I’m doing 45 (speedo) and the limit is 55 nobody wants to pass me.
                09-02-2019, 02:14 PM
              • Corley
                Elvira's personality change...
                by Corley
                After driving Elvira for a while now with the 5 speed trans conversion, It seems like she is just a 'different' girl. I find I expect her to wind up more through the gears, and without even realizing it, I am driving her about 10 to 15 mph faster than I used to, all the time. I seem to just expect more from her now, with this change. She pulls 5th gear easily at 55-60, so before I know it, that...
                05-30-2021, 07:56 PM
              • L Jones
                Speedometer Calibration
                by L Jones
                I have several speedometers that I am bench calibrating. I am using a variable speed motor and a laser RPM meter on the cable so all is good there. I have found two different charts showing cable RPM verses MPH for various speeds from slow to fast.
                These charts show different RPM's for the same speeds and I do not know witch one is correct.
                Can someone post the correct RPM's for various...
                06-27-2020, 05:53 PM
              • davew
                Overdrive or 4 speed transmission or ring and pinion
                by davew
                winter has set in and thinking of options. Would like to bump my speed from 45 to maybe 55. Would also like to do some longer distance touring. So-being new to the model A I'm looking at the four speed transmission conversions. People in Texas and California seem to have good ones and would look clean inside There is the mitchell overdrive but puts another shifter inside. But all kinds of gears. ...
                12-08-2017, 05:04 PM
              • Mitch
                Mitchell Overdrive
                by Mitch
                Go to a national meet, and you'll see that a large percentage of the Model A's that are driven are sporting a Mitchell Overdrive. That extra shifter in the car is the tell tale sign. I just posted a news letter tech article which tells of the advantages when using the gear split in different situations and not just for high gear. The O/D units cost in the area of roughly 2,400.00 but do seem to give...
                01-30-2019, 06:48 AM
              • Tudor31
                Speedometer magnet
                by Tudor31
                Is there a way of re-magnetizing the speedometer magnet? I took the Waltham speedo apart to replace a broken spring and somehow managed to de-magnetize the rotating magnet. Everything else with the speedo looks good, but without a functioning magnet it is of course worthless.
                03-22-2020, 10:02 AM
              • DaWizard
                Driveshaft Speedometer Gear
                by DaWizard
                Ok, before I ask this, I believe I already know the answer, so since I couldn't find anything in the Search results, I will ask anyway to maybe have this put into the Tech area.

Today I have a Sport Coupe to work on and the owner asked to fix the speedo. Well, he brought 4 different speedo cable assemblies and 2 turtles and 3 speedos that he said were "rebuilt".

06-25-2018, 12:36 PM
              Working...
              X