Who Needs a 1/2" Starter Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Needs a 1/2" Starter Drive?

Just found this ebay listing for a 1/2" drive. It's not cheap. but they are hard to find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192452592504?ul_noapp=true

Hi Tom,
    That drive may not work on early models. The one on my 28 has a headless screw in one location. Supergnat

Comment

Originally posted by Supergnat View Post
      Hi Tom,
      That drive may not work on early models. The one on my 28 has a headless screw in one location. Supergnat
      Good point, as the bolt head will hit the early style multiplate flywheel.
      The second style multiplate flywheel has the outside diameter cut back for more clearance.

Comment

Here's a few pictures of the multiplate flywheel and an original Abell drive.
        Notice I had to weld up a few worn teeth on the drive, but haven't finished grinding them to shape yet.
        The first picture shows the first style flywheel with no clearance for a bolt head.
        The round thing on the left of the ring gear is the rolled edge of a 21" wheel the flywheel was setting on.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

I just found the photo of my bendix which shows the headless screw. Here it is. It was a new old stock Ford part when I purchased it.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

That is what Ford called the SERVICE DRIVE to replace the ABELL DRIVE, and you were lucky to find one.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Steve Plucker
              Multi-Disk Clutch/flywheel
              by Steve Plucker
              There were two types of Multi-Disk Clutch/Flywheels.

One used with the Able starter, the other with the later starter...I am using the later starter.

I would like to know which one is which as I may, or may not, need to cut mine down if it is the early type.

The one I have measures 1-1/8" from the ring gear.

Thanks.

Pluck
              03-14-2021, 12:59 PM
            • Tom Wesenberg
              Starter Drive Without Beveled Teeth
              by Tom Wesenberg
              I just saw this drive on ebay, but noticed it doesn't have a bevel on the engagement end of the teeth. The bevel is to help make a smooth engagement, so that's the only style I'd buy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/263136941964?ul_noapp=true
              08-30-2017, 10:41 AM
            • Tom Wesenberg
              1928 Starter on Ebay, but Beware
              by Tom Wesenberg
              Here is a link to a 1928 starter on ebay, but only the main body is 1928, with the pyramid contact for the starter switch. The armature shaft and drive are the later 5/8" style, and will not work with the multiplate flywheel. The bolts holding the spring will hit the flywheel. Also notice the drive was sprayed with silver paint, and the Bendix spring has rust pits. Anytime a spring has rust pits...
              11-06-2018, 09:46 AM
            • Steve Plucker
              Bolt A-11377-DR for 1928 Bendix Starter Drive...
              by Steve Plucker
              Does anyone have bolt A-11377-DR, also known as the Head Spring Screw, for the 1928 Bendix starter.

If so...what is the total length of this screw.

Thanks.

Pluck
              12-26-2019, 08:05 PM
            • old victoria
              flywheel
              by old victoria
              anyone running a v8 flywheel in there 4 cly. A?
              12-25-2019, 01:45 PM
            • 2manycars
              Multi Plate Clutch Info!
              by 2manycars
              The inside of the flywheel is the most critical part. If the internal splines are worn to where they have divots from the teeth on the clutch pack rattleing, the clutch will not release well. Also, that flywheel looks from the photo to be the early flywheel with out the releaf for the starter drive, so an early starter would be necessary. The transmission gears look good, so that is a plus, and the...
              03-01-2018, 06:23 AM
            • Tom Wesenberg
              Picture of 1928 Starter with Service Drive
              by Tom Wesenberg
              As many of you have read in the Service Bulletins, the "SERVICE DRIVE" replaced the troublesome Abell drive for 1928 Starters. For those who haven't seen a service drive, here is a picture of one. A couple weeks ago I bought some drives and springs on ebay, hoping that one of the springs would be correct for this drive. Unfortunately none were the correct spring. After the gathering at Brent's...
              05-12-2018, 05:28 PM
            • SAJ
              Starter barrel drive problems
              by SAJ
              The problem is shown in the pics attached of two starters side by side with standard bendix and Weldon barrel drive in retracted and engaged positions.
              The steel ruler shows how the bendix pinion comes about 1/8 inch past full engagement with the ring gear teeth, whereas the barrel pinion sits about 1/2 inch further back from this position when fully extended. It engages only about half the...
              12-05-2020, 04:05 AM
            • Tom Wesenberg
              Here's a Picture of the Original 1928 Starter with the Abell Drive
              by Tom Wesenberg
              This is one of the items I bought when I stopped at Bert's a week ago. This is only the second original 1928 starter with the Abell drive that I have seen. Ford it seems had quite an aggressive recall on these, so they are quite rare. This one has good original paint also, so I'd guess it might have been removed fairly early in it's life, then stored in a good place. I'll spray some WD-40 on it tomorrow,...
              02-22-2019, 06:15 AM
            • Pklarkin
              Stuck Bendix Drive
              by Pklarkin
              Hi all,

While starting up this morning, the almost-new "modern" Bendix drive jammed. I got the starter off of the engine and there doesn't appear to be any damage to the ring gear or the starter itself. Here's the problem: The drive is stuck in the extended position you see in the picture and I can't compress it to get to the screw to remove it. I tried to use the tool that's...
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              09-17-2017, 12:00 PM
            Working...
            X