Accelerator Foot Rest Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accelerator Foot Rest Location

Can anyone tell me what is the correct location (distance) of the accelerator foot rest in relation to the accelerator cap?
    Attached Files

http://www.stevewatrous.com/modelaford_p2.html
    3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
    Henry Ford said,
    "It's all nuts and bolts"
    "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

To Mitch, Thanks! I have this drawing. I built my upper floorboard to this drawing. I drilled the hole at the location identified on the drawing, but have no idea what the hole was for. I ordered the accelerator foot rest from a known vendor. This part came with a support plate that is held by three wood screws. The foot rest threads into the support plate. The plate comes with a flat machined into it. So, I take it that this support plate is to be placed, centered over the hole. How is the flat orientated?
      Attached Files

Comment

I would take a picture of mine and show you but I have the early 4 hole mount and it wouldn't do you any good. But mine is original.
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

I'll see if I can find my original 1929 board, and hope the footrest is still on it.
          I did see the flat spot orientation mentioned somewhere, and I'd guess either the SERVICE BULLETINS or Judging Standards might be where I saw it.

Comment

This is my original 31 Victoria floorboard.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

A better picture showing footrest mounting.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Does anyone know the reason for the flat spot on the mount?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
                  Does anyone know the reason for the flat spot on the mount?
                  These are Marcos words FWIW about the foot rest orientation.

"The flat area faces the center of the car(straight cut fore/aft). If you look at the bottom of the floor board you will see a relief in the board which is the reason for the orientation."
                  3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
                  Henry Ford said,
                  "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Thanks Mitch, I knew I heard the reason long ago, but couldn't recall what it was.
                    Should have known Marco would know.

Comment

There was an article recently presented in the "The Restorer" about the questioned use of the footrest and how it was used.

I doubt if the real vintage 1930's dirt road conditions & Model A facts were exposed in detail.

Like any thing else in the past , and for some, with our forgotten unimaginable past Model A history, one has to try to think and/or remember what "really" happened back then on unclassified rural roads in the 1920's and 1930's; and on many undeveloped highways in rural areas until as late as the 1960's in some areas.

Today, if anyone ever got off of the modern paved highways on to farm dirt roads and drove on both a "soft, wet muddy road" and/or, a "muddy road after it dried with hard, dry earth ruts", there would be absolutely no doubt as to "WHY" Model A's had stationary foot rests to assist in controlling accelerator up and down movement.

Mitch's VFF Site is really void thus far of throat cutting and is so peaceful with real Model A gentlemen trying to assist others.

Comment

• Mitch
                        Mitch commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It’s our VFF site & Amen

H.L. Chauvin
                      Today, if anyone ever got off of the modern paved highways on to farm dirt roads and drove on both a "soft, wet muddy road" and/or, a "muddy road after it dried with hard, dry earth ruts", there would be absolutely no doubt as to "WHY" Model A's had stationary foot rests to assist in controlling accelerator up and down movement.
                      Excellent H.L.

I never thought of it that way, and yes I have done that in modern sticks. Lol
                      3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
                      Henry Ford said,

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Maybe my car was built on a Monday, the flat part is on the bottom with a screw tip poking thru the relief on the back side.
                        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Kinda like a # matching title.....as long as it works...... and the location won't affect the value one bit Morning Tom Wesenberg , like Ed you haven't posted for a spell
                          Model A's and of course the famous AA's

Comment

Here is some more information on the subject if anyone is interested:

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...130-b-by-pluck

Pluck

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Plucker View Post
                              Pluck
                              Thanks for all the work you have done for the Model A folks Steve Makes it much easier for us with limited Brian cells
                              Model A's and of course the famous AA's

Comment

Here's a close up photo of the original location.
                                Floorboard 01.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Partain View Post
                                  Here's a close up photo of the original location.
                                  Floorboard 01.jpg
                                  Dan, is that board early enough to have the small relief on the underside for the earlier throttle control? A pic of the area underside would be useful.

It's worth noting for those unfamiliar, see the small remains of the original rubber washer / floor seal for the accelerator pedal shaft. Obviously it was fastened to the board with three tacks.

Comment

My floorboard is to spec, but when using the foot rest, the shifter is resting against my leg and get annoying. Does anyone else have this issue?

Regards
                                    Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
                                      rubber washer / floor seal for the accelerator pedal shaft
                                      That is why we save those old inner tubes!

Comment

Here is a photo of the underside of that board.
                                        Floorboard 02.jpg

Comment

Here are a couple more photos for comparison.
                                          Floorboard A.jpg Floorboard B.jpg

Comment

Thanks Dan, the last hardwood version in both cases. Good stuff!

Comment