Touring and stabilizer bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touring and stabilizer bar

I have often wondered why somebody hasn't come up with a stabilizer bar for the rear of a Model A to reduce the lean...

Our tn sedan came to us with a Panhard bar attached to the left rear frame and over to the pumpkin. Appears similar to what the vendors sell. Not sure this makes any difference to the ride and if it should be used without one on the front right to counteract it. One would think good shocks would be enough.

Comment

You should have experienced the ROCK & ROLL, in the 50s, now, that was WILD STUFF!:rolling

Comment

Check the spring shackles and the clamshell,binding in either spot will cause a lean as well.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Bobm90
          Friction Shocks - Part 2 - Rear
          by Bobm90
          Installing friction shocks on the rear of my Model A Sedan was more of a challenge than installing them on the front. The stock shock on the right rear was a non entity, no resistance at all even when re-filled, scuff marks can be seen in the photos on the inner fender well from the original shock link. The biggest challenge was to move the new shock out far enough away from the frame to clear the...
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 13 photos.
          08-17-2018, 08:45 AM
        • Ayyy
          MGB, Armstrong Rear Shock Absorbers For Ford Model A Pickup (All Cars Too)
          by Ayyy
          This is a brief summary about the installation of Armstrong lever-type shock absorbents (image 01) on my 1930 Model A pickup. I wanted to document this process since not much detailed information is out there, especially regarding light commercial trucks.

BACKGROUND

I have an unrestored late 1930 closed cab pickup. Ford gave the pickups a stout ten leaf rear spring to handle...
          This gallery has 18 photos.
          06-17-2018, 12:45 AM
        • Bobm90
          Friction Shocks
          by Bobm90
          Original Thread

Yesterday I installed a set of Offenhauser Friction Shocks on my 30 Town Sedan driver. I wanted to try these as a alternative to replacing or rebuilding the stock shocks and at a fraction of the cost ( $95 per set from Speedway) these seemed to be worth trying. The install was a snap using the original bolt holes in the frame, the arms were the same length as the...
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          07-30-2018, 09:00 AM
        • Ayyy
          MGB, Armstrong Rear Shock Absorbers For Ford Model A Pickup (All Cars Too)
          by Ayyy
          Original Thread

This is a brief summary about the installation of Armstrong lever-type shock absorbents (image 01) on my 1930 Model A pickup. I wanted to document this process since not much detailed information is out there, especially regarding light commercial trucks.

BACKGROUND

I have an unrestored late 1930 closed cab pickup. Ford gave the...
          This gallery has 18 photos.
          06-17-2018, 12:45 AM
        • carolinamudwalker
          Rear end gets squirly on sharp curves
          by carolinamudwalker
          First I have 19" Radial tires and love them. I can take my hands off the wheel for a very long time and the car tracks straight as an arrow. But in the mountains on very sharp curves (as in you can almost see your own tail lights) The rear of the car does not want to track with the front. I know I have some frame twist, add the rear spring shackles shifting outward and the radial tires then...
          11-20-2017, 10:58 AM
        • Jwmckenzie
          Original Shock Question
          by Jwmckenzie
          I am re-building original shocks and have run across conflicting, or maybe just confusing, information about the operation of the shock. I have been able to re-build a shock and can produce different force to move the arm by adjustment of the needle valve.

Here is the question:

When the shock arm moves up and down, which movement should be dampened, requiring more force to...
          Up
          12.50%
          Down
          62.50%
          Don't know
          25.00%
          02-24-2019, 10:16 AM
        • pooch
          Solved a problem, that I did think was rather more than what I thought it was.
          by pooch
          Model A hiboy with buggy spring, dropped axle , split bones.

Last sunday, I had a niggly shake/almost a death wobble from front wheels.

It got progressively worse as I managed to get home.

Discovered a perch nut had fallen off, and dropped the lower shock mount off, so no damping on the left side.

The shock had struck something and...
          12-06-2018, 05:46 PM
        • plyfor
          Tube shocks brand?
          by plyfor
          We're working on a friend's tudor sedan fitted with tube shocks (car has many older mod's !) Does any one know what brand of eyelet or loop end shock would fit as replacements? We've read that some find them too stiff for the A but the owner can't buy original repro's at $1100+. We contacted some vendors from the MAFCA list and all they sell are full kits (with no separate shock brand info.available)....
          08-05-2017, 10:36 AM
        • Poor Boy
          Shocks
          by Poor Boy
          While I had the front end apart on the 31 coupe, I decided it was a good time to have a look at the front shocks. Both shock arms were not original and did not fit properly, one shock appeared to work and the other leaked at the cover. The tubular links were both there and complete. Rear shocks are completely missing. I was lucky to have several plastic milk crates of shock bodies and parts to...
          01-01-2019, 03:19 AM
        • Hank B
          Headlight Bar
          by Hank B
          I hope everyone is well, managing the whole isolation thing, and enjoying the extra time we get to spend on our A's!

I am getting ready to install the headlight bar onto the car and noticed that the bar has raised areas around the bolt holes.
          The holes in the fender are only the size of the bolt needed.
          If I install this the way it is, the bar will sit proud of the fender...
          04-13-2020, 09:33 AM
        Working...
        X