Roadster Body Socket Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster Body Socket Placement

In the next couple of weeks I plan on tackling the side curtain body sockets on my '31 Deluxe Roadster. At some point in the life of the car, somebody filled in the holes in the doors where that the sockets set into. These are the six body sockets (three to a side).

I am looking for details on the placement and measurements of the sockets. Details such as the distance inward from the edge of the door and measurement from the center of the hole to the bottom of the pinstripe would be very helpful.

How were the holes filled?? Do you have the side curtains??
    Paul in CT

Comment

• Snagglewhen
      Snagglewhen commented
      Editing a comment
      Paul: I am not sure how the holes where filled. I have not ordered the side curtains yet, as I am planning on ordering them from LeBaron-Bonney. I am told that L-B has you mark where your sockets are and then send the patten back, so I figured it would be best to wait until I have the sockets in the car before starting this process.

Andrew, while you are at it, you never told us what the R front wheel issue turned out to be.
    How is the car running?
    Dave

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      You remembered that? Good memory

• tbirdtbird
      tbirdtbird commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw him at last year's Texas tour but forgot to ask him about the wheel. He also brought his diff carrier here for me to knurl one side. He has not been afraid to tackle a bunch of stuff on that car, it was his grandfather's

• Snagglewhen
      Snagglewhen commented
      Editing a comment
      Dave: I believe that the issue turned out to be the shoe needed to re-arc itself to the drum, as the issue worked itself out over time. That thread ended up getting "lost" amidst my school work and research and I simply forgot to update it.

The car has been running great. As you know, I put a new L-B top on it last August. I recently rebuilt the steering column in Dec and it steers like a dream now. I am almost done restoring an original windshield frame for the car to replace the repo that is one there (waiting on the chrome shop). This body socket job should be the last big thing on the list.

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Here is the thread if you want to close it out with an update
      https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...wheel-groaning

These photos might help. If the holes were not leaded in, a small magnet might help, also. The forward hole in the beltline is exactly 22" from the edge of the door to the center of the hole (picture was blurry) and exactly one inch up from the bottom of the beltline (third picture below).
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• Snagglewhen
      Snagglewhen commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. These pictures will help a lot.

Related Topics

Collapse

• wendell
    Side Curtains, roadster
    by wendell
    Any words of advice on purchasing side curtains for a '28 roadster? Pls advise.

Thanks,
    Wendell
    02-09-2021, 09:12 PM
  • Jeff/Illinois
    1930 Roadster door hinges
    by Jeff/Illinois
    Seems like I read once that you can spot the difference between a '30-'31 Standard Roadster body and a Deluxe body by the number of screws in the hinge mounting. A Standard Roadster has two screws where a Deluxe has three?? Is this correct??

I loaned my JSG to a friend and he is away from home until Spring, or I'd run over to his house and see if I could look it up.

Thanks...
    03-03-2019, 05:31 PM
  • GeezerGearhead
    '29 Roadster Body Diagram
    by GeezerGearhead
    I am looking for a '29 Roadster Body diagram. My body has been reworked over the years and was done by an amateur. This is my first Model A and I want to be able to see all the proper body parts (sheet metal parts) in relation to each other. Can you help?
    05-08-2020, 10:50 AM
  • Manager
    29 coupe and roadster sub rail differences.
    by Manager
    I'm moving on to the body part of a 29 standard coupe I have. I have a subframe for a Tudor which I thought was just a matter of lenthening a bit but after looking at it the side rail is nowhere near matching the body quarter panel/wheel well area as well.In hindsight I should have realised this earlier. While looking at my options including buying repro I notice that some vendors list coupe and roadster...
    02-03-2018, 04:06 PM
  • greenhornet
    Picture of my newly acquired 1931 roadster
    by greenhornet
    This is what I call the Green Hornet,1931 roadster.It is an older restoration I guess you would call it that probably from the late fifties to early sixties. I don't think the body has ever been off the frame and it is pretty solid except the floor in rumble area was replaced with really some good sheet metal shop work.I doubt replacement panels were available at the time and I doubt I will change...
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    09-29-2018, 09:45 AM
  • Beauford
    Roadster pickup Door handle install...
    by Beauford
    The inside handles are straight forward but the outside ones are a bit of a mystery. Brookville says...Insert special punch through handle hole in latch and mark outer skin for location...use punch and die on out side skin...where would these two pieces marry? I have zero idea where I would punch through. Also, what are the two holes in the 3rd pic for and there is another hole on top of door where...
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    06-18-2017, 06:20 PM
  • Hank B
    Body to sub rail connection
    by Hank B
    During my rebuild, I had to remove sections of rusted sub rails, both wheel wells and one rear quarter panel.
    I have completed the rebuilding of each section.
    I also fitted the body panels to the sub rails in temporary fashion to make certain that everything mated correctly.
    I was concerned about things like the belt rail matching when I rehung the doors and the trunk lid fitting...
    12-02-2019, 09:19 AM
Working...
X