After you get it clean .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After you get it clean .....

I am getting ready to replace a leaking gas tank in my Tudor, I have a very good one coming from Berts, but ..... I'm not totally sure what I should do now.

I have read Brent's thread over on the old barn regarding getting a tank clean, by cutting apart and then re-welding. But what do you do AFTER you get it clean? What do you do to keep it from turning back into a rusty tank?

Bill

My tanks are clean and all I do is use good gas without corn crap, and I use Marvel Mystery Oil 4 ounces per tank of gas.
    I also use the filter in the tank valve.

Comment

Bill
      Check out Brent's posts on this thread especially post #14
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• BillLee/Chandler, TX
        BillLee/Chandler, TX commented
        Editing a comment
        Just what I was looking for! Thanks, Mitch. And double thanks to Brent.

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        He had some pictures there that disappeared. I have Pm'ed him to see if we can repost them

One thing I did to avoid cutting it open is to remove the fuel tank fitting (on my 29 its the shutoff valve) drill the fitting on the tank side to fit a 1" piece of steel tubing,basically a riser off the bottom of the tank about 1 inch tall.This way if you don't get the tank perfectly clean,or you don't want to cut it you have a clear supply of fuel to draw from without any tank sediment.

Comment

Many years ago, I read an article in the Restorer about a guy who took a freshly cleaned tank; put some liquid cleaner (don't remember what,) and added small ball bearings in the tank; sealed it up and rotated it a few times a day to remove the bigger hunks.

Comment

One of the guys in our club rigged up a rotisserie sort of thing with a cement mixer, then put ice in the tank and rotated it till the ice melted. Did that several times until the melted ice came out clean. Hasn't had a problem with it since then.
          Alaskan A's
          Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
          Model A Ford Club of America
          Model A Restorers Club
          Antique Automobile Club of America
          Mullins Owners Club

Comment

• DaWizard
            DaWizard commented
            Editing a comment
            Carl, was that cubed ice or whatever you found that wasn't yellow by the side of the garage?

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Yellow is better,it's acidic

• Mickey
            Mickey commented
            Editing a comment
            It's also a technique used in cleaning the septic tank on RV trailers.

• CarlG
            CarlG commented
            Editing a comment
            Crushed ice like you get at the grocery store / gas station.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Pklarkin
          Gas tank restoration - suggested welding service?
          by Pklarkin
          Hi all,

The restoration of my '29 continues, and I've turned to the gas tank. It appears to have a pretty serious leak at the top of the tank where the tank meets the fire wall segment. I'm not a welder... can anyone recommend a shop that i can ship the tank to, or to a DIY fix that doesn't require welding? Thanks for your suggestions.

Pat
          12-20-2020, 01:50 PM
        • CSPIDY
          Gas Tank Rust Removal
          by CSPIDY
          Finally got around to addressing the rust in the gas tank of my 28 Tudor.
          the plan is to remove it, fill it with 10 gallons of Evaporust, clean with Por-15 cleaner degreaser, then prep with the Por-15 metal prep, followed with Por-15 paint coating.
          what are your thoughts? I have heard good reports on the Por-15 paint but have some reservations using an internal coating.
          any advise...
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          01-18-2019, 01:52 PM
        • cpf240
          YARGTT ( Yet Another Rusty Gas Tank Thread )
          by cpf240
          I've been following the various threads here on how members have been dealing with rusty fuel tanks. While I'd love to pull the tank and ship it off to Brent, that will have to wait.
          The Rust911 concentrate should arrive today. After a PM session over FB ( Facebook, not the ) with the Rust911 people, I'll be picking up 10 gallons of distilled water to use in the process.

As...
          01-25-2019, 05:02 PM
        • Beauford
          Gas tank blues...
          by Beauford
          So when I received a gas tank I purchased I really didn't give it a good once over since the deal was done and guy said it had no dents and was a really nice tank. Got it back from sand blaster....what a waste of money. Huge whammy in the top corner. Nasty welds on upper corners of dash. Looks like fuel valve was snapped or cut off so there is a mess there....nobody will work on a tank correct due...
          07-18-2017, 06:44 PM
        • Fordfan29
          Gas Tank Screen Restriction During Refueling
          by Fordfan29
          After years of driving my 29 without the factory screen in the gas tank filler neck, I finally installed one. Now when I refuel, getting that last couple of gallons in the tank is tedious. There is no way to slowly fill the tank with most automatic shutoff nozzles. The factory screen does not let the fuel flow through it fast enough. Has anyone cut the bottom out of the screen & does this...
          10-04-2020, 02:19 AM
        • pAAt
          Gas tank welding
          by pAAt
          Getting ready to weld my tank up. It's been aired out for a few weeks and I did fill with water and rinsed out. It's been drying a few days and should be ok to weld. I drilled the spot welds off the Instrument cluster mounting bracket/wire harness (?? yellow arrow) and have a good one to tack on. I figured I'll dill some 1/4" holes to mig weld back on tank. Any thoughts on doing this and...
          06-28-2020, 07:59 AM
        • Supergnat
          28 Fordor Leatherback gas tank installation problem
          by Supergnat
          I am attempting to install a replacement gas tnk in my Oct 28 Fordor Leatherback. I have the tank bolted to the cowl but am unable to fit the firewall piece that holds the sediment bulb and terminal box in place. The opening is about 1/4 inch too small. Does anyone have a suggestion to resolve this problem. I This panel was difficult to remove when I was trying to get the old tank out. I'm afrais...
          05-25-2017, 01:52 PM
        • Leo
          What Success Has or Did Redi-Strip Have with Gas Tanks?
          by Leo
          I know this is kind of an odd way to start a post. Back about 30 years ago when I began the restoration of my 1930 coupe there was a Redi-Strip near Allentown PA. I had them do several of my parts including the gas tank. The gas tank was installed in the car without any further work done to it except a good slosh with gasoline. Moving forward to now, I'm running with a pencil type filter on the...
          03-19-2018, 08:44 AM
        • wrndln
          Checking 28/29 gas tank for leakage
          by wrndln
          I have what looks like a nice gas tank I plan to use on my 29 CCPU. I bought it at a swap meet, so I have no idea of its history. It is a rare tank that doesn't need the radiator bracket areas repaired on the firewall of the tank - I have 6 or 7 gas tanks and all need the bracket area repaired, some more than others. Some 28/29 gas tanks have seepage around the steering wheel bracket on the tank...
          07-27-2019, 12:25 PM
        • gdaquilina
          Gas Tank Baffles
          by gdaquilina
          Do the gas tank baffles ever come loose and bang around in the tank? I have a very sharp metallic sound when going over bumps that sounds as if it is coming from the gas tank. I have checked everything that is anywhere near the cowl for looseness and signs of metal on metal contact and have come up empty. Any ideas?
          08-05-2019, 06:06 PM
        Working...
        X