Model A gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model A gas tank

A distinctive feature of the Model A is the gas tank location and gravity feed system. Any ideas on what prompted this arrangement? And did any other car makers use a similar arrangement?

Yes, the gravity feed kept the fuel system simple by eliminating any need for a fuel pump.
    Henry's idea was to keep it simple and reliable.
    Case is just one of the other cars to use gravity feed.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Sunnybrook Farm
      Fuel System gooed up
      by Sunnybrook Farm
      I restored a 29 Tudor back in the 70s, when I was a child ;-) and to fix a fuel tank with a little rust I coated it with some kind of sealer that was used back then. It felt kind of rubbery and was supposed to not get hard and flake off, worked great until ethanol fuel. Now I think the stuff is slowly dissolving and gooing up the whole system to where I am going to have to dip the zenith. Anyway has...
      02-04-2020, 12:40 PM
    • Beauford
      Electric Fuel Shuttoff
      by Beauford
      I'm basically stock but run a fuel tank in the bed of my '29 RPU due to a hole in original tank. I have a carter pump @2psi and added a electric fuel shutoff I had got from Snyders. Well the fuel shutoff decided to stay shut. I have check all electrical and ground...I think it just took a shit...anyone know of another inline elec shutoff that is any good??
      03-02-2019, 08:38 PM
    • Beauford
      Wiring inline fuel pump and electronic fuel valve.
      by Beauford
      So until I can buy another tank I have a T'ish cylinder tank in the bed of truck. I have mounted the tank and have secured the fuel pump on pass frame channel close to tank as possible underneath. I have a 30amp inline fuse off the "-" side of battery to the fuel pump and grounded fuel pump. I will later tonight mount cutoff fuel valve near carb inside frame and I have a toggle switch to...
      08-04-2018, 05:19 PM
    • Fcorriveau357
      Got spark, and fuel, but won’t start..
      by Fcorriveau357
      36 V8.
      12v setup.
      I had it running a few times now but it is a real pain to get going.
      I accidentally left the key on and drained the battery, and in the process burned up the coil. Just put a new one on and have spark now. But for some reason all it does is sputter and backfire out of the carbs.
      do any of you guys have suggestions for what to try next?
      move poured gas...
      09-10-2020, 05:16 PM
    • JKY
      Fuel Petcock Brazed to Tank
      by JKY
      The 28 pickup that my brother owns has had fuel problems. We cleaned the tank out pretty well but the pencil filter in the petcock keeps getting debris and starving the carburetor for fuel. He drives it a bit and carries a wrench with him. When the fuel system plugs, he removes it at the carb and blows into the fuel line until he hears the bubbling in the fuel tank. Off it starts and home he goes....
      09-09-2020, 11:58 AM
    • Beauford
      Rusty's rear tank..
      by Beauford
      So while I wait on another tank I installed a T-ish cylinder tank in bed of truck. I have a fuel pump with a before and after filter, fuel regulator at 1 PSI and a electronic shutoff with a toggle switch that controls all. Well, Rusty cranks but no start. I removed fuel line from carb and turned on pump and fuel was flowing. Reconnected and put coil to head nut and cranked. Bright blue spark. It was...
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      08-12-2018, 07:01 PM
    • dmdeaton
      A local new build
      by dmdeaton
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      09-28-2018, 08:34 AM
    • jmart76
      Fuel Tank Clean
      by jmart76
      I'm a proud new owner of a 1929 Fordor. This is my first restoration so excuse my ignorance.

I can turn the engine over, but it doesn't stay started ( Video link below). After I made the video, I pulled the sediment bowl and it was full of rust. My next plan is to clean the fuel tank and either clean the carb or purchase a carb on ebay (please let me know what you prefer).

06-23-2019, 05:10 PM
    • Beauford
      Gas tank blues...
      by Beauford
      So when I received a gas tank I purchased I really didn't give it a good once over since the deal was done and guy said it had no dents and was a really nice tank. Got it back from sand blaster....what a waste of money. Huge whammy in the top corner. Nasty welds on upper corners of dash. Looks like fuel valve was snapped or cut off so there is a mess there....nobody will work on a tank correct due...
      07-18-2017, 06:44 PM
    • BNCHIEF
      Storing your car and fuel for the winter.
      by BNCHIEF
      I put stabil in my gas non-ethanol and was going to leave it stored this way ran it it til the carb was dry, ok not ok what do you think I do drain it in the spring and start fresh I thought it would be better to leave the tank with gas in it.
      11-10-2019, 05:51 AM
    Working...
    X