Rear Differential fill capacity debacle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Differential fill capacity debacle

Ok i just drain and filled up a diff on a 31 and it took 1-1/2 pints.. some publications called for 1-1/2 quarts.

See post #6 on this thread
    4~ Tudor's
    1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

1-1/2 pints is correct.

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
      BILL WILLIAMSON commented
      Editing a comment
      Only a MAGICTIAN could put in 1 1/2 QUARTS!!!

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Tell that to the publications listed in the above link. Plus when the question was asked many times over nobody had the confirmed answer

"It is written" is a convincing term for most even today .... Bibles, books, or newspapers ... poor old Galileo under house arrest for declaring the earth revolved around the sun .... 1-1/2 quarts ..... not to much changed! LOL

Comment

I've never measured it, but I have just filled until it started to come out the fill hole. I'm interested to hear about anyone that actually fit 2 1/2 quarts in the rear.

Comment

• DaWizard
        DaWizard commented
        Editing a comment
        Mike, if they did that I'd want too know how the rear brakes worked!

I too only pump in what fills to leak out the fill hole. I don't see a reason to measure, it won't hold more!
        Last edited by DaWizard; 02-03-2018, 12:02 AM.

FWIW:

Not too long ago, I read where it was found that people with a 1958 high school education were found to have better "basic", formal education knowledge than students graduating today with a Bachelors Degree from a University.

Why bother trying to guess whether or not someone's rear end is capable of holding 2-1/2 pints?

Liquid measurements? Hmmmmmm .... just ask anybody on the street today, (with no wrinkles), how many ounces are in a gallon?

Comment

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        True there were no public schools when the constitution was written yet these guys guys were prolific writers and scholars. I think schools should go back to shop classes again but they will not, I took wood working, metal shop and electronics all of which I have used my whole life.
        Last edited by BNCHIEF; 02-03-2018, 05:54 AM.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Tom Wesenberg
      Transmission Ratios Out of Sync
      by Tom Wesenberg
      I've seen transmission ratios posted where the 1st and 2nd gear ratios include the rear end, but then 3rd does not, and lists it as 1:1. This can be confusing when they don't use the rear end with all 3 speeds, or better yet, forget the rear end ratio, since at least 5 ratios are available. Here's an example of what I've seen in books.

High-1:1 (100%)
      2nd-6.89:1 (53.8%)
      Low-8.75:1...
      04-07-2018, 12:50 AM
    • Terry, NJ
      Tight (very) Rear end!
      by Terry, NJ
      Bought a rear end for my coupe ! It was tight and the drums were on it. It had been laying out side and while it had some rust, it wasn't any more than a rear in a car. It was so tight I had to use a pipe wrench to turn it. I figured the drums were binding. It turned a little easier after we freed it up a little. I got the drums off and while they were tight, it still isn't what I'd call acceptable....
      01-11-2018, 12:12 PM
    • Tom F
      New Radiator Question
      by Tom F
      When I got on this site the other day there was a thread about not being able to see how much water you have in the radiator, and now I can't find it. I have that problem and without having to buy that $50.00 kit can I just top the radiator with some antifreeze above the baffle and then run it for a while and then check to see if its going to freeze this winter. Thanks. Tom..... PS Nice site...
      10-30-2017, 12:06 PM
    • Beauford
      Drip
      by Beauford
      After shutting off motor would a tablespoon of oil dripping from flywheel housing over 24 hour period be of concern? Doesn't drip when running....
      05-14-2017, 07:48 PM
    • tbirdtbird
      Looking for transmission or rear end help?
      by tbirdtbird
      The universally acknowledged guru of both is Tom Endy of California.
      He has done countless trannies and rear ends. He has been generous enough to do stellar write-ups loaded with pix and they are on this website, the Santa Anitas As
      http://www.santaanitaas.org/technica...tech-articles/

there are many many other topics covered there as well

05-08-2017, 08:11 PM
    • CarlLaFong
      Oil Leak
      by CarlLaFong
      Well, after some, in depth, diagnosis, it seems my "oil leak" is, mostly coolant. I can't tell precisely where its coming from. The car has a pressurized system and an overflow added so I'll have to get it up to temp and have a look see. It is leaking oil from the rear main, as well. I think I'll drop the pan and Plastigauge it. I have a rather steep, long driveway here at The Fongderosa...
      01-15-2018, 02:06 PM
    • tbirdtbird
      Looking for transmission or rear end help?
      by tbirdtbird
      The universally acknowledged guru of both is Tom Endy of California.
      He has done countless trannies and rear ends. He has been generous enough to do stellar write-ups loaded with pix and they are on this website, the Santa Anitas As
      http://www.santaanitaas.org/technica...tech-articles/

there are many many other topics covered there as well
      05-08-2017, 08:11 PM
    • Terry, NJ
      Results! (Rear end project)
      by Terry, NJ
      I Tightened up the wishbone nuts and cured the "Death Wobble" problem. I checked the lights and they were ok. So why not take a little ride? I drove over to Ron's, about 3 1/2 - 4 miles away, with a pretty steep hill (Down hill to, up hill back). I got on the concrete slab and started measuring temperature immediately, ambient temp. about 70 deg. Rear end 78 - 82 deg, Top of radiator 170,...
      05-01-2018, 07:42 PM
    • Manager
      Early 28 rear end
      by Manager
      I bought complete front and rear ends not needed by a hot rodder. It's all in good condition and I have pulled the front end apart, got the bits I needed and went to start on the rear end. My shackle holes are very worn in my bells. Plan was as the car this all came out off was that good and everything looked in that good shape to just put the complete rear in and keep the current one for spares....
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      10-17-2017, 08:51 PM
    • Tony Hillyard
      Rear axle stamped number
      by Tony Hillyard
      Good Evening Everyone,

I have just been replacing the rear axle in my 1928 Standard Roadster and noticed a number/code stamped on the diff housing.

It is stamped "R8".

Any idea what this means?
      01-30-2018, 12:59 PM
    Working...
    X