A buddy with a lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A buddy with a lift

It was too cold to do much outside so I went over and helped a buddy work on his 31 fordoor which he saved last fall. He had got a lift since i was there last and it sure made things easier. The car had been put back together by a guy but things were not assembled properly so that is a lot of what we are working on. The steering was put together without gaskets and the front motor mount was not put in right which has the engine front high and the universal joint area was too low. We are going to have to do major work to get the front mount up out of the cross member and reassemble correctly. It looks like he put washers or something under the spring where the two springs sit as the flat metal is not resting on the cross member. He at least has a heated garage and a lift to work on things and even though he has a running tudor, this is a real learning process for him.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Why does he have a lift...yet doesn't work on a bench?.that whole 'kneeling on concrete' stuff is why old mechanics limp..

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
      BILL WILLIAMSON commented
      Editing a comment
      "Maybe" he's on his KNEES, PRAYING!

That lift looks like the same design as my Challenger's. If you have the space it is a no brainer. I put a cheap 4 post in at home, my garages there have 12' ceilings.
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
      BILL WILLIAMSON commented
      Editing a comment
      I need a "LIFT"--WAITIN' FOR MY ANTI-PAIN-PILL & STRONG COFFEE, to "KICK" IN----

A lift is worth every penny. And they make a low-overhead style for shorter garages.

It will never cease to amaze me at what some owners are able to cobble on their cars

Comment

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      and it probably takes longer than fixing it right.

I bought a lift a few years back. They make so many tasks so much more enjoyable. Its also a nice safe place to store the vehicle during winter months.

Comment

I like that John Deere!
      Bill
      http://www.brauchauto.com/
      Eastern Connecticut

Comment

I also just bought a Danmar lift for low overhead. My ceiling is 9'3" tall. I haven't installed it yet as my building doesn't have heat. I will be able to get my speedster, not my 31 pickup up to 4'....then I can roll around on a seat under the vehicle. The manufacture said that not to use the hydraulic under 40 degrees temperature....I asked why not and they said because the oil could chunk up. They use hydraulic log splitters in the winter, wonder why the difference?

Comment

• tbirdtbird
          tbirdtbird commented
          Editing a comment
          I am not sure that would stop me for the exact reason you give

• Dennis
          Dennis commented
          Editing a comment
          I've never heard of hydraulic oil chunking up. Sounds like they're smoking the wrong stuff.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous of all you folk out there in country land that can have a lift when I have the room and independent funding with a city that says NO!!
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• tbirdtbird
          tbirdtbird commented
          Editing a comment
          and how is it they will know......
          never ask permission, only forgiveness

anyone asks it is a hoist for your disabled mother in law

Originally posted by CM2 View Post
        Why does he have a lift...yet doesn't work on a bench?.that whole 'kneeling on concrete' stuff is why old mechanics limp..
        Boy is that true. 40 yrs of lying on cement floors, laying in snow banks pulling cars out of the ditch, kneeling on hard surfaces. I have within the last yr, had my left knee replaced and my left hip. I am right handed so I lay on my left side when working. Doc says I am full of arthritis. Not fun any more.

Comment

When I built my garage I dug a pit for it. Maybe not as convient as a lift but cheep and it works well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by WMWS View Post
            When I built my garage I dug a pit for it. Maybe not as convient as a lift but cheep and it works well for me.
            I always thought a pit was a good idea, but you might want to see if building codes allow it now.
            Seems some places don't allow them, as certain heavier than air gases can collect in them.

Comment

• Sunnybrook Farm
              Sunnybrook Farm commented
              Editing a comment
              The guy who got the lift once had a pit at one location and one of the guys was working in it when gasoline got spilled. The guy was smoking and the pit caught on fire and they barely got the guy out. They filled the pit in and he said he
              would never use one again so got this lift when they became affordable many years later.

Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

Seems some places don't allow them, as certain heavier than air gases can collect in them.
            I live out in the sticks so who's going to know. But I am aware of heavier than air gasses and I am careful about that.

Comment

I've been told by mechanic friends that both BendPak and Dannmar are good units. The BendPak is fully certified on their welds, I think the other is too not sure. Nice lift, nice garage!!

All I know is I have been told many many times to stay away from the Chinese junk unless you want to die................

Comment