American Icon: How Alan Mullaly Saved the Ford Motor Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Icon: How Alan Mullaly Saved the Ford Motor Company

This is a good book for all you Ford fans if you are looking to pass some winter weather time indoors. Some neat points they make in the book, in relation to Model A Fords, was the story of 'how' the Model A came about (we've all heard it still interesting) but also later Alan Mullaly makes reference to how they pulled Ford out of the brink of disaster after he took over in Sept. 2006, akin to what Henry Ford himself would have done! They went back and put some of Henry's principles to work. The Economic Recession in 2008 caused by the Banks and the housing collapse was far worse I guess than I realized, the worst Financial situation since the Great Depression and almost took everybody down not just Ford.

Anyway, after Ford became profitable again and the Fusion was getting excellent quality ratings, and sales were rebounding, they took some of that profit and dropped the price of the Fusion, and sold even more of them! Sound familiar??

Give it a read if you haven't already!

Mullaly was a good CEO. He took Ford stock from $6 to $18. When he retired the stock dropped. I got out at about &11. Haven’t looked at it for about four years.

Comment

In alot of ways the A didn't live up to expectations..after knocking the kinks out of the line in '28,'29 was a banner year...but after that is was downhill.By '31 they couldn't stop the slide. Ford's vision in '27 for the car wasn't a redesign for '32..his failure to reach an effective X engine design doomed the car with a 4 cylinder,and they once again underestimated the markets hunger for change..as an admirer of the car these faults mean nothing to me,but in the facts lie a cold reality...

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• 2manycars
        Mr Ford
        by 2manycars
        On This Day

Monday 7th April 1947

75 years ago

Henry Ford (83), the man who revolutionised modern transport with his mass produced Model T- died by candlelight during a power-cut caused by floods in Detroit, US. Most of his personal estate, valued at $205 million, was left to the Ford Foundation. While working as an engineer for the Edison Illuminating Company...
        04-07-2022, 12:00 PM
      • Steve Plucker
        "I was told once that..." stories...
        by Steve Plucker
        How many of you at one time or the other over the years heard something about the Model A/AA Ford that you had a hard time beleiving if it were true or not.

Here is my story...I was told once that before the Ford Runtunda fire of what year I forget, that there were many Ford archives and Ford data that were lost due to the fire.

One of the items that was lost were all the...
        08-29-2018, 11:53 PM
      • 2manycars
        Henry Ford II
        by 2manycars
        On This Day

Monday 10th April 1944

78 years ago

Henry Ford II was named executive vice president of the Ford Motor Company. His promotion confirmed his bid to become the heir to his grandfather's throne at Ford. Henry II despised his grandfather for tormenting his father, Edsel Ford. Nevertheless Henry II went on to display many of the leadership skills of...
        04-10-2022, 09:09 AM
      • Steve Plucker
        The NEW FORD (The MODEL A FORD)
        by Steve Plucker
        Here is one for you Ford history buffs: When the new car first came out, it was reffered to as THE NEW FORD. That being the case, if that is the case!,...Just when did Ford decide to call it THE MODEL A FORD?

Or was it always reffered to as THE MODEL A FORD?

HMMMMMMMMM???????

Pluck
        06-16-2021, 08:47 AM
      • 2manycars
        Henry Ford history
        by 2manycars
        On This Day

Wednesday 11th April 1888

134 years ago

Henry Ford married Clara Bryant Ford in Greenfield, Michigan, on her 22nd birthday. Clara described her intended to her parents as "quiet, pleasant, keen-minded, and sensible." When Clara Bryant married Henry Ford, he was living on a 40-acre plot of land that belonged to his father. Instead of farming...
        04-11-2022, 12:11 PM
      • Steve Plucker
        Trivia...The last known Model A Ford... "AND THE ANSWER IS..."
        by Steve Plucker
        How good are you at Ford Trivia?

Does anyone know just what the last Model A Ford passenger car was that was assembled World Wide (according to Ford Motor Company documentation)?

I will give you just one (1) hint...It was not in 1931!

Pluck
        12-03-2021, 01:31 AM
      • Mitch
        Post your Henry Ford or Ford Motor Company stories. True or Fiction?
        by Mitch
        The crates, that Ford shipped the wheels in served as floor boards. They were an exact fit
        10-01-2022, 10:38 AM
      • 2manycars
        Henry and Clara
        by 2manycars
        On This Day

Wednesday 11th April 1888

133 years ago

Henry Ford married Clara Bryant Ford in Greenfield, Michigan, on her 22nd birthday. Clara described her intended to her parents as "quiet, pleasant, keen-minded, and sensible." When Clara Bryant married Henry Ford, he was living on a 40-acre plot of land that belonged to his father. Instead of farming...
        04-11-2021, 08:45 AM
      • Eric
        What, where, when???
        by Eric
        Greetings.

I started thinking about my GAZ motor, which started me thinking about what other countries might have also been involved with producing the Model A & B motors....and if so, how long were they produced??

I "think" I might remember something about England and Germany producing some motors for Ford? Not sure.

The GAZ Model B motors were
        05-18-2021, 11:56 PM
      • Rob Patterson
        Ford Market Share. Pre T
        by Rob Patterson
        Hi,
        Recently I heard that Ford were already market leaders prior to the Model T.
        Is this so?
        If so, could you point me in the direction of where I can find the figures please?
        Thanks,
        Rob
        12-10-2018, 04:20 PM
      Working...
      X