cowl band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cowl band

can't seem to find a Vendor that stocks or supplies reproduction cowl band for 29 Murray
    Fordor, car is a driver but my band is a little worst for wear and tear. $700 to $1000 to have mine restored is a little steep for me right now. any suggestions?

I would suggest Steve at Bert's. I have use him multiple times and am 100% satisfied.

Comment

• DaWizard
      DaWizard commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey JohnB, WELCOME to the VFF!!

Originally posted by JohnB15632 View Post
    I would suggest Steve at Bert's. I have use him multiple times and am 100% satisfied.
    John
    Where ya been? Welcome to the VFF!!!!
    4~ Tudor's
    1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Dale makes them, he is out of them at the moment as I have one on order for my Briggs. He just emailed me today

we are out of the Cowl Bands. I am getting prices for material and getting them sheared so I hope to have them in the next month or so.
      Clean, standards-friendly, modular framework for dropdown menus

Comment

• canadian
        canadian commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks , just sent email to ahoogaparts, I will let you know the out come.

• canadian
        canadian commented
        Editing a comment
        got a quick reply from Dale , only band he makes is 30-31, thanks for lead

I first learned about Ahooga parts in Ohio when I met them at French Lick a few years ago.
      I was very impressed with the products they made and had on display.

Comment

• canadian
        canadian commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Tom. pondering all morning.. got to ask. whats French Lick? sounds like something the Newfie Girls here promise after a couple a cold beer..LOL

I have "restored" a cowl band by taking a 1/2" (?) head lag bolt and grinding the form to match the interior of the band. Once this is done, put the bolt in the vice, get the band over the formed head and slide it to the damaged area. Tap it gently till the dents are out. Then polish and buff. Another way for someone to repair it, but requiring a little more skill and machinery, is to make a die with the exactly matching curvature and the same bolt/punch and form the way Henry did in 1930. The stainless steel is fairly soft and it reforms pretty well. I restored a cowl band that was pretty severely bent one afternoon, just to prove the concept. Wish I had pics!
      Terry
      Last edited by Terry, NJ; 01-31-2018, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• canadian
        canadian commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks for encouragement... I am in process of morphing a pickup from a sedan, don't mind the rough hammering and welding but soft isn't my greatest skill . thanks again

Originally posted by canadian View Post
      Hey Tom. pondering all morning.. got to ask. whats French Lick? sounds like something the Newfie Girls here promise after a couple a cold beer..LOL
      That's what I thought the first time I heard it, but it's a town in Missouri where 2 national Model A meets were recently held.

Comment

• canadian
        canadian commented
        Editing a comment
        Tom , us Newfoundlanders are known for our wit but you are good, love that reform school reference . had my hopes built up for a couple of Dem French Licks this weekend but at least I know of another town in the USA for a trivia game. forgot all about cowl band and can't get Licks out of my mind. thanks my friend for the little grin.

Originally posted by Terry, NJ View Post
      I have "restored" a cowl band by taking a 1/2" (?) head lag bolt and grinding the form to match the interior of the band. Once this is done, put the bolt in the vice, get the band over the formed head and slide it to the damaged area. Tap it gently till the dents are out. Then polish and buff. Another way for someone to repair it, but requiring a little more skill and machinery, is to make a die with the exactly matching curvature and the same bolt/punch and form the way Henry did in 1930. The stainless steel is fairly soft and it reforms pretty well. I restored a cowl band that was pretty severely bent one afternoon, just to prove the concept. Wish I had pics!
      Terry
      Hmm.................so Body Shops are really "Reform Schools".

Comment

• Terry, NJ
        Terry, NJ commented
        Editing a comment
        You got me there Tom! But I'll insist that's what I meant, "Reform" the metal back to what it was. Don't know about body shops, never worked in one! Terry

I made one for my friends 29 Murray sedan from the D brass moulding from Universal Tire, after forming to the cowl base strip I had it polished and nickel plated, looks great and will never rust out. The total bill back 5 years ago was a little over $500.

Comment

Info for the cowl bands,. I know the 30-31 has the welded bolts, but are they the same as the others besides having bolts welded into them. I was thinking about stopping out to see ahooga a&t. If the cowl bands are same in size but just mount differently, then I could pass that info and see if they start making them to.ap shows there close to me and we'll, it's worth a shot.

Comment

miahkbanks
          Welcome to the VFF!
          Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

miahkbanks WELCOME to the VFF!!
            You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

I purchased a stainless cowlband directly from an outfit who were making them back in Michigan or Wisconsin? It was flawless and fit perfectly. I have an early 30 roadster. I didnt notice if they fabbed them for 28/29. I can find the invoice if needed.

Comment

How do I remove the cowl band from a 29 town car?

Comment

ldjohnson WELCOME to the VFF!!

First off, take pictures, post pictures, then lift hood, either side, look inside the lower front corner for a nut on an angled downward thread, this should be the nut that holds the end of the cowl band to the cowl, repeat on the other side. Since I don't know if there are other clips, try to lift straight up around the cowl, carefully as there could be other nuts on studs around the upper edges.
                  You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Originally posted by DaWizard View Post
                    look inside the lower front corner for a nut on an angled downward thread,
                    That is for 1930-31 only.

Originally posted by ldjohnson View Post
                    How do I remove the cowl band from a 29 town car?
                    Is that a Town Sedan or actually a Town Car. It's kind of a moot point as they both use the same cowl band. However it it's a Town Car (no roof over the front seat) I'm curious which one made it to Arizona!

The cowl band is a thin nickel plated brass skin. It snaps over a steel moulding which is spot welded onto the cowl. It can be tricky to peel off without damage, especially if it's never been removed in 91 years.

Can you post a photo or two?

Comment

ldjohnson
                      Welcome to the VFF ​​​​​​
                      Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
                        That is for 1930-31 only.

Is that a Town Sedan or actually a Town Car. It's kind of a moot point as they both use the same cowl band. However it it's a Town Car (no roof over the front seat) I'm curious which one made it to Arizona!

The cowl band is a thin nickel plated brass skin. It snaps over a steel moulding which is spot welded onto the cowl. It can be tricky to peel off without damage, especially if it's never been removed in 91 years.

Can you post a photo or two?

Marco Tahtaras
                        Am going to have my cowl band painted. A late 30 CCPU.

Can you please provide some detail on a method to remove it from the steel molding without damage?

Or is it better to attempt to mask and paint without removal?

Does anyone have a picture of a late 30/31 cowl with the cowl band removed?

Thanks, Wade

Comment

Wade,the one Marco is talking about is not the type you have on your late 30 pickup.Yours is held on buy a nut on each side,in the firewall feet.Reach in there and you will feel them.Remove them,and it will just pop up off the ridges on the gas tank.

Comment

This is my '31 SW.
                            Not sure about the variations between it and a CCPU.
                            20211121_130218.jpg

Comment