Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear axle stamped number

Good Evening Everyone,

I have just been replacing the rear axle in my 1928 Standard Roadster and noticed a number/code stamped on the diff housing.

It is stamped "R8".

Any idea what this means?

From the information I have, it says the rear end was for a Roadster with 8 leaf spring. This is according to Steve Pluck's information on the letters and numbers found around the Model A.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Tony Hillyard
      Tony Hillyard commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks DaWizard, that makes sense. Tony

THE REAR FRAME STAMPING CODES
    Another interesting set of codes that one may find on the chassis is in relation to
    the number or Rear Spring Leaves that were originally used when the chassis
    was assembled. It has been thought that these stampings were used to correlate
    the number of leaves in the rear spring with a particular body style for which was
    going to be assembled to the chassis.
    Mr. Carl Biederman from Anoka, Minnesota had found several of these codes on
    various Model A Ford chassis with some letters followed by a number for which
    was stamped into the rear areas of the vehicle. The areas for which Mr.
    Biederman has found these codes are as follows: 1). Rear end axle housings; 2).
    Top of the rear frame cross member and 3). The right rear corner of the rear
    frame cross member.
    The following list may be incomplete and may not have been implemented by all
    the assembly plants for all years.
    STAMPING BODY STYLE REAR SPRING LEAVES
    R7 Roadster Seven (7) leaves
    C8 Coupe Eight (8) leaves
    OCPU0 Open Cab Pickup Ten (10) leaves
    T0 Tudor Ten (10) leaves
    TS0 Town Sedan Ten (10) leaves
    FD0 Fordor Ten (10) leaves
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

These stamps were a way to make sure the rear spring had the correct number of leaves for the body that was being dropped onto the chassis. I think the only assembly plant that used these letters/numbers combinations was the Twin Cities.
      Dave

Comment

My 1928 Phaeton was built in the Twin Cities Ford Plant, and has P8 on the rear crossmember, which means Phaeton 8 leaves.
        I wonder if the R8 is for Roadster with a rumble seat, since the standard Roadster I thought came with a 7 leaf spring?

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• JohnB15632
          Model A listing
          by JohnB15632
          I could use some help. My A is listing to the right. I am thinking that during the assembly of the rear spring to the frame, I must have made a bad mistake.
          Now, what should I do to correct this list? Do I need to raise the frame and drop the rear axle?
          Should I invest in a new rear spring?

Thanks
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          10-09-2018, 08:07 AM
        • Dennis
          Rear spring clamp
          by Dennis
          I’m assuming this is for a Model T... were the T and the A the same width rear spring. I found this with some spring parts I never noticed today. I can’t find any reference in JS& RG about script clamps....
          07-23-2019, 03:37 AM
        • Mickey
          Rear spring spreader
          by Mickey
          Anyone around here have a rear spring spreader I can borrow? Now that I have the body off this is the time to do the work. I'd be happy to come and pick it up and bring back.
          02-05-2019, 10:56 AM
        • Bill in NJ
          Rear spring removal and install
          by Bill in NJ
          Approximately how many hours should it take one person to take out the old spring and install one I rebuilt with my spring spreader?? I also want to install new bushings in spring and rear. Mitch thanks in advance, this a great site with a lot of good information and people.
          05-29-2018, 06:39 PM
        • Corley
          Rear Spring length
          by Corley
          Put a Camero rear axle in my pickup with a model A spring on top of it. I then removed some leaves to lower the rear, but now on a big bump, the spring has increased in length so much that the end of the spring hits the axle housing. Are their any shorter springs available that still fit over the differential housing, off the shelf? I know I could have the ends of mine cut and re-curled, but it...
          06-13-2018, 09:08 PM
        • T from the D
          Rear Spring Shackle Repair
          by T from the D
          Hey Folks,
          Just pulled the rear spring from a 1928 tudor I just bought. The shackle mount bushings were worn right through and the axle mounts are wollered out from this lack of maintenance. Does anybody know if there is a repair available for this?

Cheers,
          T.
          This gallery has 3 photos.
          12-23-2019, 01:11 PM
        • Eagan
          Spring Spreader for rear curved spring
          by Eagan
          Mikes-Affordable sell a rear spring spreading tool for 28 -31 Ford Model A's (blue in color) and I wondered if anyone has any experience with this tool? I have a 33 Ford that also has curved rear springs and the standard spreader won't work because the "pumpkin" gets in the way...wondered if the Mike's model might work on the 33 Ford. Really appreciate any guidance.
          Eagan
          01-19-2019, 12:36 PM
        • Steve Plucker
          Front and Rear Spring Restoration
          by Steve Plucker
          What is the best way to restore the leaf springs?

Electrolisis...Sand blast...wire wheel...all the above ...none of the above...

Followed by painting each leaf or not?...or use graphite grease...

Assemble....

What have you done in your restoration to have a good looking front and rear spring?

Thanks.

Pluck
          01-19-2019, 12:20 AM
        • Rowdy
          Rear Spring Clip Height
          by Rowdy
          I did a search as I beleive this was posted in the past, but did not find the post. What is the correct height of the clip for the 8 leaf spring? Seems I have 3 different heights in my parts stash. Thanks Rod
          11-30-2018, 07:55 PM
        • Bob C
          Tea Cup Commercial Rear Lamp
          by Bob C
          Some rear lamp housings have Duolamp with the letters stamped out and some have the letters stamped in, which is correct for 1930-31.
          I have heard the ones with the letters stamped in came out in 1932 but I don't see any information in the Judging Standards.

Bob
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          01-26-2020, 01:36 PM
        Working...
        X