Thought leak was gone..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought leak was gone..

So took "Rusty" out for a high speed drive to see how he's feeling! That was about 4 hours ago. I went out and checked under the chassis where I have not re-installed dust shield as I like to monitor for any leaks before I mount my body in a few weeks. There is a little oil coming off the rear main bolt/castle nut. No need to worry or is there something I can do? I know not a big deal but what the hell do I know...

Beauford, take 10 gallons of oil and start heading for Mitch's house !!
    Model A's and of course the famous AA's

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      He might need a 55 gal drum

You only wish yours changed its self! Leaves me more time to deal with shit vendors! PS: there is a shortage nation wide on A fenders and don't buy anything on Lebron's sale page. They will instruct you that the expensive top you purchased was sold already and they forgot to take it off the page but will gladly sell you one at original price (way more expensive) and give you a BIG 10% off for their mistake. On second thought the oil thing doesn't seem a big deal when your dealing with complete morons. LOL

Comment

*****, couldn't I just get the sealing washers by themselves and be done with it? The seal washer on Mitch's two tooth tech page sure worked wonders for me on the steering box.

Comment

You know, I am looking at the set of nuts and stuff on Snider's site, and am wondering if 100# dry torque is advisable, and 90# wet? Also, you are using not one, but two washers under the nuts!

I am thinking that the washers for the rear main need to go under the head of the bolt instead of under the nut, since oil can migrate through the shims and along the bolts to leak out the top, which to me means the compression washers need to be fitted for the top of the bolt.

Just my random musings.
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

I have a counter balanced crank so my rear is different correct?

Comment

• DaWizard
            DaWizard commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL, No Beauford, with a counter balanced crank it only means the crank swings both ways. The main bearing caps are the same as any other stock or counter balanced motor.

• Beauford
            Beauford commented
            Editing a comment
            HAHA Wiz...that's what I was getting at...can't do any work on rear main with out yanking the heart out!

with a counter weighted crank you are not able to remove the rear main cap with the engine in the car, working from below

Comment

Lets remember Beauford's motor is a fresh rebuild (not in house), so i don't think he should be messing with the main bolts and caps.
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I will have to post pictures of actual oil on bolt. It is dry everywhere else around the shims. Just one bolt.

Comment

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                yea we like pics

• Beauford
                Beauford commented
                Editing a comment
                They call me Mr Mucky! LOL

One Guy had his engine out 3 TIMES for a "rear main" leak???---It wuz the front TRANS seal--+*$&%#%^&
              Bill Repeat

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• CarlLaFong
                Oil Leak
                by CarlLaFong
                Well, after some, in depth, diagnosis, it seems my "oil leak" is, mostly coolant. I can't tell precisely where its coming from. The car has a pressurized system and an overflow added so I'll have to get it up to temp and have a look see. It is leaking oil from the rear main, as well. I think I'll drop the pan and Plastigauge it. I have a rather steep, long driveway here at The Fongderosa...
                01-15-2018, 02:06 PM
              • Jeff/Illinois
                Sorry for bringing this up..............
                by Jeff/Illinois
                .........did a search and didn't really find what I was after, but is 5w -whatever- oil too thin for a Model A Ford? I know a lot of guys run 15w-40 Delco I get it, but would 5w30 be a bit too thin? Does that create low oil pressure issues? Reason I'm asking is I can get 5 qt. jugs of 5w30 Motorcraft on sale kinda cheap this week. Semi-synthetic. I realize the 'winter' lower number is for quicker...
                11-02-2018, 11:12 AM
              • KB9JLO
                Starting an older engine - oil in the dipper tray...
                by KB9JLO
                As a few of you know - I have a 1930 Town Sedan, Murphy Body (March 1930). And she's a little rough. My wife has already named her Millie. The engine hasn't run in some time and I want to attempt to get it started and see what all is wrong and needs to be fixed in the drivetrain. If I don't have to I don't want to drop the oil pan or remove the valve cover to see if I can get this started. The engine...
                10-01-2018, 11:28 AM
              • Paul
                Oil leak
                by Paul
                Why am I leaking oil at this location?
                07-02-2018, 07:18 AM
              • BNCHIEF
                Oil and the changes manufacturers are doing per the epa.
                by BNCHIEF
                This is not to say anything bad about any oil or brand just some info to consider.http://www.restore-an-old-car.com/be...ssic-cars.html They are taking all the zddp out of the oil we run. Right now I have delo 400LE, being discontinued, I also have shell rotella T-4 both are 15/40 these still have the zddp in the higher concentration. You can also buy zddp https://www.thoughtco.com/...
                09-07-2017, 06:41 AM
              • Beauford
                Tracer Dye
                by Beauford
                So I was putting a new gasket on valve cover and upon opening cover I notice the oil is kinda a baby poop yellow-orange? I freak and drain the oil. It doesn't look right to me at all being I just start my project a couple times a week and tinker. I had used trace dye for my small rear leak. I'm wondering if this caused the coloration? I am a fanatic about opening rad and seeing fluid at same level...
                04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
              • DaWizard
                Valve lubrication, or not!
                by DaWizard
                I have been seeing folk getting all over MMO and questioning the reason for using it. Well, I think it is time to clear a bit of air within these airheads and explain why MMO or Seafoam, or these top end lubricants are almost a must.

If you will take a look at this picture of the valve chamber, you will see to the right a copper tube protruding from the bottom of the valve valley. Well,...
                09-05-2017, 09:30 PM
              • tbirdtbird
                Oil leaking? Think it is the rear main? read this
                by tbirdtbird
                Several threads have popped up here about various oil leaks.
                Well, on vintage stuff, ya gonna have'em.
                But we try to keep them small.

If you think you have a rear main leak, Rich Fallucca has a good read on this:
                http://antiqueenginerebuilding.com/REARMAINLEAK.html

BUT there is one more thing to check, and it might be worth it to check this first:
                05-23-2017, 09:20 PM
              • BNCHIEF
                Synthetic Oil Information and the changes manufacturers are doing per the EPA
                by BNCHIEF
                This is not to say anything bad about any oil or brand just some info to consider.http://www.restore-an-old-car.com/be...ssic-cars.html They are taking all the zddp out of the oil we run. Right now I have delo 400LE, being discontinued, I also have shell rotella T-4 both are 15/40 these still have the zddp in the higher concentration. You can also buy zddp https://www.thoughtco.com/debunking-...-...
                09-07-2017, 06:41 AM
              • Dennis
                Leak at the rear of the engine and not the rear main?
                by Dennis
                I remember in the past this being brought up and I think it was George Miller that commented one of the bolts holes near the camshaft at the back of the block goes through. Well the last time I forgot to seal that bolt when I put it back together. And yes she was a leaker. I also discovered the hole on the left side above the crankshaft journal goes through. So it's sealer for both of those bolts...
                07-05-2018, 03:31 AM
              Working...
              X