is it possible.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it possible.

Is it possible to remove and replace header metal cover under visor without disturbing visor ? And if so can fender welting be used here? 29 Murray Fordor.

No, and might have to replace wood over F. doors if it doesn't jive with header, and that requires peeling back top Then there's headliner at front and windscreen removal and possible interior A pillar trim. Fortunately, you have all Winter.. This is how A's grow on you. The good thing is they will clean out the fuzz in your pockets. Good time to pull the tank for cleaning while the W/S is out and don't forget the dome light wiring and wire or vacuum line for wiper..Keeping it simple: IF IT'S IN YOUR WAY, MOVE IT. Oh I misread, your only replacing the metal cover and not the wood. Now look how much you're going to miss out on.
    Last edited by Mark Jacobson; 01-28-2018, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• canadian
      canadian commented
      Editing a comment
      OMG Mark I almost Thru up my grandmother until I got to end of your reply.LOL, just looking on advice if this can be replaced by just pulling nails and screws , without removing visor and related parts, windshield frame and hinge assembly already removed.

Why do you want to remove it?

Comment

• canadian
      canadian commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Mike , its rusted beyond repair and I have another , no problem to remove it but was just wondering about re nailing , nails are on challenging angle with visor still attached.

I am thinking you could remove it with the visor in place, and use the fender welting. Renailing the cover back may be tough with the visor there, but i’m sure you can figure something out.
    3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
    Henry Ford said,
    "It's all nuts and bolts"
    "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Jacobson View Post
      No, and might have to replace wood over F. doors if it doesn't jive with header, and that requires peeling back top Then there's headliner at front and windscreen removal and possible interior A pillar trim. Fortunately, you have all Winter.. This is how A's grow on you. The good thing is they will clean out the fuzz in your pockets. Good time to pull the tank for cleaning while the W/S is out and don't forget the dome light wiring and wire or vacuum line for wiper..Keeping it simple: IF IT'S IN YOUR WAY, MOVE IT. Oh I misread, your only replacing the metal cover and not the wood. Now look how much you're going to miss out on.
      Phew, I just about made up my mind I will NEVER change the header metal cover. LOL
      BUT, I will make dam sure the one there is ok prior to buttoning things up.

Comment

• canadian
        canadian commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya winter pretty cold and dreary here and that cover job sure won't warm things up.. have cover removed today. but as Mitch said I am going to have to come up with a way to re nail, nails are on a extreme angle for hammering.

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Use screws and if the slots bother you fill them in. This would fool any judge

• canadian
        canadian commented
        Editing a comment
        thinking about small screws would be faster and just as effective, as for judges got 3 of them , grandsons .. 6 years , 3 years and 6 months and they're all that matters to me.. LOL

Related Topics

Collapse

• KB9JLO
      30 Town Sedan Header Wood
      by KB9JLO
      Thinking a little bit down the road, I would like to be able to 'open' my front window. I can't now because there are no screws in the windshield hinge and I figured out quickly that's because the screws that held the hinge fell out and the header is rotten. As part of the parts collection process I've been looking at all the vendors for the header wood piece. Of course all of them carry it - that...
      07-18-2020, 08:39 PM
    • Dennis
      Sun visor to header
      by Dennis
      Was there anything between the sun visor and the header to seal on a 30-31?
      01-07-2021, 07:59 PM
    • donh
      replacing header
      by donh
      How do I remove the old header from my 30 2window 4 door 170D Delux? I have removed the visor and front sheetmetal. The top fabric is off. The bolts have been removed from inside the car.

I'm not sure what is holding it? Are there more bolts or sheet metal to loosen?

Don
      08-11-2018, 08:45 PM
    • canadian
      Nails
      by canadian
      whats recommended size and type of nail / tack to install visor and under cover to header assembly? I tried 5/8 and 11/16 clipped upholstery tack but every second one pops up while hammering . new header and wood seems pretty hard.. do I have to pre drill?
      01-25-2018, 03:22 PM
    • gdaquilina
      Metal interior header above windshield- 155-C
      by gdaquilina
      Does the interior metal header above the windshield need to be removed to install the new upholstered trim between the metal header and the headliner? If so, does the windshield have to be removed to remove the interior metal header?...
      12-15-2019, 02:14 PM
    • Brent
      Side Header Removal
      by Brent
      Working to remove the top wood on a 30 Tudor (thanks to Mitch's advice). The front header is removed, but I'm struggling to get the side header out, particularly the carriage bolt behind the front corner bracket. I looks like I need to remove either the corner bracket or the metal body above the nut. Any thoughts on getting to this? I could cut the wood out, but I'm guessing I'll have the same...
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      12-10-2018, 12:01 PM
    • slammin
      29 Tudor header?
      by slammin
      Still trying to figure out what I need to complete the car. Since the car has a new top, I would have thought all the wood was present. Checking the Fordwood site, they mention "header/front" under the top wood section, but don't show a sketch of what it looks like. I've looked at photos of Tudors that don't have a top or headliner and can't tell if something in mine is missing. I've enclosed...
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      11-09-2017, 12:11 PM
    • Dennis
      Wood in upper of body 28-29Tudor
      by Dennis
      Ok I have some questions beings I’m working in this area now.
      1. My wood is dry and solid, no damage other than some small cracks from nails etc. this car has had the covering on top replaced once before. So now I’ve got several holes to dodge when I put my new top on. Suggestions please on plugging the existing holes with something.
      2. the front corners appear to have had something...
      This gallery has 6 photos.
      03-28-2020, 01:32 AM
    • rheacox
      Another '30 Fordor with rotten wood
      by rheacox
      Figured I'd make a new thread since I hijacked the previous thread I was posting on, https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...th-a-30-fordor.

So, I pulled the T bracket and looked and poked and the results were worse than I thought (shocker). Aft of the center pillar the roof rail is hollow... pictures are attached, I tried to get the light positioned right...
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      09-10-2019, 06:49 PM
    • CSPIDY
      Visor
      by CSPIDY
      Has anyone had good experience with replacement visors from the vendors?
      I had removed mine to access the windshield to remove my cowl tank. (The domino effect)
      I removed the vinyl because I wanted to leave it painted instead of covered and found a lot of pitting and some rust through.
      I purchased a replacement from Mikes but it will not fit the car without some modification....
      04-16-2020, 11:02 AM
    Working...
    X