See less

Demo Day, My Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

frame rails are outside..the plan is to break it in stock before bolting on the goodies...already have a B flywheel,b cam and mcEachern gears..That Lionshead is sexy...Im thinking a winfield aluminum repop..what are you going to run for a distributor? going down draft? got a holley 94 waiting for me

Comment

• dmdeaton
      dmdeaton commented
      Editing a comment
      Will be working out in your backyard sometime after June. Livermore and Fresno
      you got a headstart on cleaning, looks good

• CM2
      CM2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Doors open,stop by and we'll bullshit. Hopefully it aint too hot in June/July..its starts cookin right about then.

I have a FSI electronic distributor, Stromberg (new one), T5 trans, cast headers. Ron's machine shop is building the short block. The block in my pics is a cracked one he scrapped after cleaned and fluxed. I figured I would mock it up until mine is finished. I am a little bit on the fence with the distributor, from the threads on here about the advance using the HC head.

Comment

• CM2
      CM2 commented
      Editing a comment
      The zipper has automatic advance so you're good,timing and proper advance is critical to avoid hammer out the center main.Nice build specs..

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      The zipper has too much total advance for his engine Bob but it can still be used, just need to change the curve and advance total, which is important as you have stated.

How come Folks don't get THIS excited when I DO SOMETHING?---Just cleared my ORFICE Closet of YEARS of outdated COMPUTATOR Stuff!---Found stuff behind them that I had forgotten about. I'm gettin' rid of crap, until I hear a "slight" echo, then I'll STOP!---The Dogis helpin' me SNIFF out junk stuff!
    Mr. Clean Dad

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      We'll send Phil over again to do another site inspection

• Tom F
      Tom F commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Uncle Bill do you have any Model A junk hidden in there?

Working on tranny, battery box, and master cylinder.
    Wife cleaned up the body tonight.
    Last edited by dmdeaton; 02-24-2018, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow you are moving along nicely

Give the wife a high five from me, she did a hell of a job

• dmdeaton
      dmdeaton commented
      Editing a comment
      she is not finished yet, got a good start though. Using medium rubbing compound to clean all the stains out of the paint. She scrubbed the top 3 times to get all the grime out of the grain. It looks like new now. Wonder if it will leak?

I may go back to solid motor mounts. I don't like the chunk cut out of the frame crossmember. I think the solid motor mount will do a little stiffening.
    Last edited by dmdeaton; 02-25-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• CM2
      CM2 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd stiffen the back of the center cross member..even a piece of rectangular tubing across the back would stiffen the loss in the front.

• dmdeaton
      dmdeaton commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with this, and I am on it!

Of course I'm am going to get skewered for this...The true strength of the model A structure is not the frame,it lies in the backbone of the torque tube,radius rods,transmission and bell housing engine block and axles.As light as an A frame is cutting any part of the cross members is dicey but the bigger danger lies in losing the torque tube.Its a wonder more hotrodders arent dead,when they take an A frame and attempt to make it the structural support for the drive train.running open drive shafts and larger engines mounted to the frame..even with boxing they are taking their lives in their hands..sell the T5,buy a mitchell...run a 39 trans or mitchell trans if you have too..its why I grabbed a mitchell,Ill deal with the quirks of the A trans to maintain the structural integrity as designed.

Comment

• dmdeaton
      dmdeaton commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, these frames are like foil when stripped bare. Well....not that bad.

Did you see on the barn where that Tod cat is building a B head with a crows foot design?

Comment

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw it, wish he would get a saleable a block in cast iron, wouldn't mind seeing it with the thin sleeves like the 8n ford tractor had.

• CM2
      CM2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Tod has some big players behind him,what I heard..notice they are gearing for a touring market,this isn't racing research..

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      I mentioned the sleeves for rebuilding purposes Bob, you are right about the touring market, if you want to race get an offy.

• CM2
      CM2 commented
      Editing a comment
      My name is John Chief,pleased the meetcha..and yes I'm old too,I get all kinds of shit wrong,half the time I don't get the old bags name right..My A engine was sleeved back to stock,I dont see where dry sleeving is an issue,its commonplace in modern diesels..Now the improvements in metallurgy that exists today,iron designs that resist cracking..there is gold there..

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry John got the bob over at the other place, my mistake, Tod did say the aluminum block a engines would be sleeved, not a big deal just thought that would be okay for longevity, however I doubt that will not affect either of us.

• CM2
      CM2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hell,I don't have two nickles to rub together..hustle and scrape just to build the junk I have much less truck with the big boys..Im not a big fan of aluminum,but I an a big fan of anything Ed Winfield did,its interesting that he is working with Winfield's combustion chamber design.

• dmdeaton
      dmdeaton commented
      Editing a comment
      John, cannot find the crows foot post

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      Same for me on aluminum, and also on Ed Winfield.

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      It is mentioned in the thread he posted or someone said it I do not recall, do a search on Ed Winfield and products that will tell you a lot.
Working...
X