See less

The Old Motor Picture Thread

Collapse
    X
    • Filter
    • Time
    • Show
    Clear All

You can buy a repro aluminum Gilmore Red Lion license plate topper on ebay for not much money.

Comment

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah i was talking about the spare tire covers Tom but did not know about the plate toppers.

2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Ayyy
        Ayyy commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, great view, but so many questions,
        Is that how they aligned the headlights on the line?
        Spots on the radiator: is it water or bent fins?
        Which plant is this?

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        To all your questions
        Ya got me. Lol

• Jeff/Illinois
        Jeff/Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        For some reason I think this may have been Long Beach Assy. in California I could be wrong but looks similar to other factory photos I've seen.

Neat pic thanks for putting this on! Open car body drop looked like a tricky venture.

Do you come across lapd or other patrol cars?

lapd museum car, but top lights look wrong

Comment

2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Rose Cab Company

The Rose Cab Company was located Worthington, Minnesota, a small city situated in the southwestern corner of the state. This image, taken in 1928 shows the five car Rose fleet decorated with roses, banners, and flags, apparently ready to take part in a parade. Billy Rose, dressed in a cowboy costume and his father Fred Rose are next to the taxi cab on the far-left.
          2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Woodlites – The Futuristic Headlights of the Past

Woodlite headlamps, invented by William G. Woods came on the market late in the roaring-twenties and were distinctive, and attractive. From what little information there is to be found surrounding the futuristic looking headlights today, it appears that Don and Charles Benton manufactured both the head and parking lamps in the Los Angeles area and had this set of promotional images taken there during 1929.

lite3-150x150.jpg

Buffing lamps at the factory and a 1929 Packard detail photo showing a “Woodlite” headlamp and a parking lamp mounted on the fender

Seen at the top is a pair of the headlamps on the Los Angeles Fire Chief’s Chrysler. The photo below shows a Chrysler 75 Roadster demonstrator apparently belonging to the Moore Brothers Motor Co. that appears to have been a dealer for the automaker in the Los Angeles area.

wood1-600x435.jpg

Below left we see a Kenworth ten-wheeler modeling a pair of Woodlites, apparently to try to get truckers and trucking companies interested in using them on their rigs. In the center is a photo of what may have been a prototype taillight later in 1930. On the right is a Packard Phaeton that was used for carrying an Exalted Ruler for a fraternal organization.

wood3lite7wood2

And finally below we see a rare DuPont modeling a pair of Woodlites. You can learn more about the innovative lamps and also see the patent drawings for them here in an earlier post on The Old Motor. If you can add any information about any of the vehicles or the locations seen in the images let us know. The photos are courtesy of the USC Libraries.

lite6

According to Everett Miller a pre-war designer of automobiles and respected post-war historian, quoted in the September – October 1971 Ford Life magazine: “The lamps were not really superior to other lamps at the time, but they did serve a good functional purpose. Rather than throw a narrow beam of light as one might expect, a functional feature was to throw a beam of light a further distance than the regular round headlamp”.
            Attached Files
            2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Beauford
              Beauford commented
              Editing a comment
              wonder if any survived...

• 2manycars
              2manycars commented
              Editing a comment
              My old buddy Mike Hart, who had some really nice cars and a garage full of vintage speed equipment, had those lights on his model A speedster. In place of the Ford emblem on the radiator shell, he had an emblem that said "henway". When asked what was a henway, he would say "about 3 pounds"!

Since the 70's I've seen only a couple of sets on high-end cars...rare indeed. I think the war ate many of them up, and there weren't a whole lot made due to The Depression anyway. Very interesting to see, but I prefer the BIG round lights myself. Thanks for posting these photos Mitch

Comment

Titus Motor Company Ford Sales and Service Tacoma Washington

This installment is the last post in the series covering the Titus Motor Company and the Titus Manufacturing Company. Today we end up with the lead image of the service department above and an overall view of the building below.

The Motor Company opened in 1938, and the lead photo contains a 1939 Mercury sedan in the shop having its headlight alignment checked. In the picture below taken during the 1940 model run the showroom on the left is filled with the then current models and on the far-right are the service entrance and the service department.

Titus-Motor-Company-1.jpgTitus-Motor-Company.jpg
              2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

CoverCarH (4).jpg
                2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Texas National Guard Camp Brownwood

Camp Brownwood, named after a small city located in the center of the state of Texas was located about 140-miles southwest of Fort Worth. Today’s feature image taken in October 1940 contains hundreds of cars and trucks dating back to the late-1920s in a parking lot for thirty-five hundred workers at the two-thousand-acre site.

The workmen traveled from as far away as California and New York with their families to construct Camp Brownwood, the future home of the Thirty-Sixth Division of the Texas National Guard. The facility was later expanded to include ninety-thousand-acres with sufficient accommodations for forty-thousand men.

Texas-Farm-Parking-Lot-1.jpg

2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• DaWizard
                    DaWizard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "Remember where we parked"

• Jeff/Illinois
                    Jeff/Illinois commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The 36th Division suffered very heavy casualties with 5th Army slugging up the Italian peninsula. They had it pretty rough.

At the far right of the photo looks like a '30-'31 CCPU. What's mounted at the back? A tow bar maybe?

Comment

Gasoline Station Series: Four Tampa Filling Station Images

Today’s feature photos all originate from the City of Tampa, Florida, and were taken between the years of 1936 to ’53. The lead image and the picture below were both taken at Boyd’s Sunoco service station in January of 1936.

The owner of the filling station apparently also operated Boyd’s “Free Zoo” and used his animals for publicity photos. The lead image contains a Monkey pumping gas, possibly with Boyd beside him. In the picture below, taken after a successful day of fishing the same man is sitting and posing with the largest fish next to the gas pump on the far right.

Sunoco-Gas-Station-Tampa-FL-1936-.jpg

Elkes-Service-Station-and-Tire-Shop.jpg
                    • A second view of the Elkes Pontiac filling station and tire shop 1953 that we looked at earlier.

2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Gridlock in Dock Square Boston, Massachusetts

The roads and streets in the City of Boston, Massachusetts are laid out in a most haphazard pattern in various areas that confuses visiting drivers and even some area residents; the streets have long been plagued by traffic jams. Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote in 1860: “We say the cows laid out Boston. Well, there are worse surveyors.”

The reality of the situation is the City’s origins go back to 1630 when English settlers began to lay out the street patterns. In time the center of Boston was made up of a series of early neighborhoods with streets laid out in grid patterns, although where the roads of one area meet those of another, the result was a jumbled series of connecting thoroughfares.

Today’s feature image by photographer Arthur Griffin was taken in the late-1930s from above Dock Square (near the waterfront) gives a partial view of some of the spot and its odd traffic patterns at the time. The Square is adjacent to Faneuil Hall, a marketplace and a public meeting hall constructed in the early 1740s and opened in 1743.

2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Great pictures Mitch thanks for posting these!

One side note to anybody wanting to collect petroliana (gas pumps-globes-signs-cans etc.) if you are looking for Sunoco gasoline globes and somebody comes up with a plastic bodied Capco globe, and tries to pawn it off as an 'original' been sitting in a barn for 45 years or more, run. It is a fake. Sunoco never used plastic bodied globes. Ever. You can see the metal bodied frames they used for globe bodies in Mitch's pictures. That plastic bodied Sunoco has little to no real value.

Lots of fakes showing up in this hobby you have to be very careful what you are buying.

I loved Blue Sunoco gasoline sure wish they were still in NW Illinois. My cars always ran great on it. 190 or 200 Regular for the '29 Tudor and 260 Premium for the Mach 1

Comment

The VFF Garage

garage.jpg
                            2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Tom Wesenberg
                              Tom Wesenberg commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Sure wish those 8 gals would come service my Studebaker.

• Ted Duke
                              Ted Duke commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I see Ethyl, who are the other ones?

• Hoogah
                              Hoogah commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Not sure of her name, the one at the front appears to be of Polish descent?

Hoogah lol

Comment

They all have that late 1940's hair doo that my mother used to wear.
                              Bill
                              http://www.brauchauto.com/

Comment

2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I’m in Sarasota for a few days and saw this cool mural on the side of a building.

CCF3B3B1-83A8-4EB9-9BF6-86F3A136B604.jpegECBB3534-E6F1-4BBE-B650-67E2F0BC0738.jpeg4818C0C3-CA47-4720-A965-BC31AD712B19.jpeg08F84D98-AFC6-44EB-87B0-566FB1B6A0FD.jpeg
                                  2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Tom Wesenberg
                                    Tom Wesenberg commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    That's a great mural.
                                    Boy, when you go on a service call, distance is no object.

Kool as can be.
                                  Wonder what a chalk festival is

Comment

That Good Gulf – Supreme Auto Oil – Vacuum Cup Tires

Today’s installment of the “Gasoline Station Series” takes us to the Corner of Bigelow Boulevard and Bloomfield Bridge on July 10, 1921, for a view of this substantial Gulf Oil Company filling station. Bloomfield is a neighborhood in the City of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, located three miles north of the downtown area. The building has not survived.

The gas station has a total of seven up-to-date fuel pumps powered by electric motors, and at least three gas pump attendants (one sitting on his Harley-Davidson motorcycle) are clearly visible in the image.

On the far-right is a salesroom for “Vacuum Cup” tires produced by the Pennsylvania Rubber Works located in Jeannette, Pennsylvania. Note the extensive signage on the building lit by electric light bulbs and the McFarlan Service Station sign on the far-left offering “Generel Repairs (sic).”
                                  2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Tom Wesenberg
                                    Tom Wesenberg commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    That's a beautiful building. Sure wish they still built them like that.

I never heard of suction cup tires. Must have made an interesting sound driving on a smooth surface.

Here is a picture of Thompson Motor Company, Kanorado, Kansas. The first pic is from the Model T days. The second is signage that still exists today. Thompson Motor Company went bust in the early '30's. My Great Grandfather was Frank Thompson, my Grandad ran the Kanorado Garage. He is standing with legs crossed in the pic.

Last edited by Jwmckenzie; 07-12-2018, 05:32 PM.
                                  +++++++++++++++++++
                                  Jon.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Ben Franklin

Comment

• Mitch
                                    Mitch commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    That's pretty cool, so the building is in use today?

• BNCHIEF
                                    BNCHIEF commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Will have to take a look when i go thru there.

• Mitch
                                    Mitch commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Take a few pics Chief for comparison

• Jwmckenzie
                                    Jwmckenzie commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Not being used for business, likely storage or just empty. The Goodland Garage is still being used for commerce, I will have to find a pic.

• BNCHIEF
                                    BNCHIEF commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Kanorado is in far western kansas on the kan-colo border since my son move to mooresville nc from denver do not know when i will be that way but i know a couple places to get some pics.

• Mitch
                                    Mitch commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Maybe we can Google maps it

• Jwmckenzie
                                    Jwmckenzie commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    https://goo.gl/maps/g4uNwD2S2WJ2

This street pic was taken in 2012. I don't remember it being open when we were last in Kanorado in 2016.
                                    Last edited by Jwmckenzie; 07-13-2018, 10:13 AM.

Here are a few pics of the Goodland Garage. And a few of the shop and one of the parts counter.

It was a family business. Left to right, My Grandad, A Great Uncle, My Grandmother, and My Grandpa Thompson with arms crossed.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Jwmckenzie; 07-13-2018, 06:51 AM.
                                  +++++++++++++++++++
                                  Jon.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Ben Franklin

Comment

• BNCHIEF
                                    BNCHIEF commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Those appear to be 1918 0r 1919 t touring cars from the back window.

• BNCHIEF
                                    BNCHIEF commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Mitch that engine hoist looks just like the kind your old dad would have used

• Mitch
                                    Mitch commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Thanks for sharing all of this and linking the google map.

• Dennis
                                    Dennis commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Interesting, my family roots settled in the area. Grandparents on both sides only they were on the Colorado side. They quite often traveled to Goodland for business. I still have a few relatives living there, but only a few.

• 2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Bobm90
                                    Bobm90 commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Love the Tow Truck !! The fender skirts look like they came off a Indian Motor Cycle , it looks like auxiliary lights mounted on the running boards and a external horn mounted on the roof, cooool rig!!!
                                    Last edited by Bobm90; 07-15-2018, 08:17 AM.

• Jwmckenzie
                                    Jwmckenzie commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Nice tow truck, looks like wood spoke front wheels and AA rims on the back. Do you know where this shop was located?

• Mitch
                                    Mitch commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    No idea on the location
                                    I love the tow truck too
                                Working...
                                X