drain hole position on axle housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drain hole position on axle housing

Just wanted to make sure I have the axle housing in correct position with the drain hole at the most bottom location. Les Andrews book states the weld on the drivers side housing should face to front of vehicle. With my drain holes at bottom position both welds are facing the bottom. What say you ? Where should the drain hole be ? Note on my housings both holes line up directly with the welds

Tom

The drains in the axles housings should be opposite the perch correct? The perch should go straight up 12:00 and the axle drains will be at 6:00
    3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
    Henry Ford said,
    "It's all nuts and bolts"
    "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

The axle tube drain back holes? should be at the bottom, aligning with the center housing ( banjo). My axle tubes the welds are on top, the spring had worn a hole into the weld that I had to repair. The PO had warped friction tape around it to hide the hole :-(

Comment

FWIW: I have an original March 1930 coupe with longitudinal welds facing upwards on axle housings; and about 20 years ago bought an extra, spare 1929 differential, however the welds were facing forward.

According to "Revised 1997" Judging standards,page 4-7:

a) First 1,000 axle housings, no welds; b) After first 1,000 through March 1929, weld faced forward; c)The weld faced upward beginning in November 1928 until end of production; d) Beginning in March 1929 through March 1930, the weld faced downward. (It was also noted that there could be some overlaps.)

From the beginning of production until about mid-1930, the differential filler plug was located at the center of the housing.

Thereafter the filler plug was offset to one side. Most plugs were cast steel with a square hole measuring approximately 7/16". Both style plugs may be unfinished or raven. Some late 1928 cars may have a slot in the plug instead of a square hole.

Comment

Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure. very good information from all three of you. appreciate your speedy replies

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Rumbler
            Weld repair of front axle
            by Rumbler
            My front axle is worn down on the top where the spring eyes were contacting it. Is it OK to weld repair the axle?
            02-13-2019, 10:18 PM
          • Mikey
            Front axle straightening
            by Mikey
            Well finally getting parts out of the barn of my 31 roadster. Got looking at the front axle and it looks bent, put a string from end to end and she has a 3/8 to 7/16 pow to the rear. I'll start looking for someone with a press but till then, is there a spec on the bow top to bottom ? or anything else I should look for ? As always, thanks for any help. Mikey...
            04-29-2018, 09:06 PM
          • Mike V. Florida
            Front Axle Info!
            by Mike V. Florida
            Go ahead the were made "soft"....
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 4 photos.
            09-24-2017, 12:56 AM
          • Great Lakes Greg
            Banjo gaskets, there ain't none.
            by Great Lakes Greg
            I tore down my rear axle for inspection on the latest restoration, and everything looks absolutely perfect, except there isn't a single gasket present on the banjo. Pinion / ring gear mesh is spot on, and the drag on the ring gear spin is also very good. If it is this close to being right on, are the gaskets really necessary? I suppose I could shim out the carrier bearings to make gaskets necessary,...
            01-11-2019, 08:03 PM
          • Leo
            What Kind of Towbar Can I Use for Model A
            by Leo
            OK, no laughs, my car runs well but just incase I were to have an "emergency" what type of towbar would function with my 1991 Ford Bronco which has a standard rear bumper with a 2 inch ball? I'm looking for something which will do the job without requiring any alterations if possible....
            04-22-2018, 02:32 PM
          • dmdeaton
            Front Wishbone
            by dmdeaton
            I haven't taken my front wishbone loose from my axle yet, but have both extras laying loose. My question is about the assembly of these. The spring perch with its taper goes through the wishbone yoke and the axle. The taper nut locks the assembly from the bottom. I assume you torque this fairly tight, as there are no bushings, shims, or other material in between. Do you guys grease this as you assemble,...
            02-22-2018, 08:22 PM
          • plyfor
            Caster Measurement Location
            by plyfor
            Les Andrews book and other literature describes methods for checking the caster angle, but not where along the axle length. Should the angle be measured closer to the wheels, near the spring perches ?
            03-19-2019, 12:12 AM
          • Steve Plucker
            Rear Axle Restoration...The Les Andrews Way...
            by Steve Plucker
            Going to restore the Rear Axle on my wife's 1928 Open Cab Pickup and want to know if there is ANYTHING amiss or not correct within the Les Andrews book #1 about the restoration of the Rear Axle?

Thanks.

Pluck
            12-02-2018, 09:35 AM
          • davew
            Shackle hole
            by davew
            I have to replace a shackle on the front. I saw a video where they said to drill the hole in the shackle bolt all the way through. The shackle I have the hole only goes part way in. Will this weaken the bolt? Also supposed to grind slots by the holes to hole more grease. Thanks
            12-30-2017, 11:23 AM
          • Ed Saniewski
            Hole size for 1931 side mount spare
            by Ed Saniewski
            Can someone tell me what is the correct size hole for the grommet that goes in the splash shield for a side mount spare tire bracket? The service bulletins have it listed as an 1 5/8 inch hole, but this is for a 28-29 car. Is it the same size for a 1931 160B? Thanks
            12-27-2017, 05:13 PM
          Working...
          X