Thermostats for the Model A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostats for the Model A

I have purchased two thermostats from two vendors (exact same thermostat) and both failed (stuck closed) within a matter of a few weeks. These are the 10 to 11 dollar thermostats sold by the popular vendors. Has anyone else had a similar experience with these? My radiator is clean and in good shape, and the water passages in the block have been flushed out twice. Suggestions?

Welcome to the VFF

Have you tried testing it in hot water? Is this the style stat that sits inside the upper hose? Was it installed in the proper direction?
    4~ Tudor's
    1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      We have not had any reports with issues on these

Hey tjnknox, WELCOME to the VFF!!

I personally don't use a stat. I find the problem more the time the water is in the radiator to cool it. What I have done with great success placed a 1¾" washer with the hole turned out to 1" to just slow the water leaving the radiator down so it has more time to cool it before exiting.

Hmmm, gives me an idea...why not put the stat in the exit of the radiator.................hmmmmm
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Here is a link to our thermostat tech page
      https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...at-information
      4~ Tudor's
      1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I don't have a thermostat, yet, but after a short drive (3 or 4 miles) I use an infrared thermometer to check temps. I usually find the front of the head around 145, the rear about 150 and the lower hose pipe about 125. Based on those results, a thermostat in the lower hose may cause an overheated engine.

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like you may need one in the upper hose

• slammin
          slammin commented
          Editing a comment
          One of my winter projects is a Vintage Precision Thermostat housing. Then I can install my temp gauge and run a line for the hot water heater that is another of my winter projects. Only problem, I seem to be running out of winter before I run out of projects.

I use a thermostat in the top hose, and place it as close as possible to the head. I also drill a couple 1/8" holes in the stat so the hot coolant flows by it, and will heat the wax pellet when the temp reaches 180*. Here's a picture showing the barbed part I cut from a 2" PVC coupling. Never mind the drier sock in the radiator hose, as that was a failed attempt to make a filter to catch rust particles before they enter the radiator. The drier sock tore and blocked some radiator tubes, so now I use a fine brass screen.

The heavy brass part is a tool I made to remove and install the rear bushing. Also shown is the locking collar and nylon thrust washer used to control the end play. I like that better than using the head casting to keep the shaft from moving rearward.

Water Pump Parts.jpg

Comment

Modern Thermostats RARELY ever FAIL!!!!----A Model A Suppliers' sleeved thermostat, in the upper end of the upper hose, works GREAT. NO extra drilled HOLES are needed. Make sure the cupped valve faces UP!!! Minerva did fine for over 12,000 Miles, with a 160 Degree thermostat, this way!!!!
          Dad Simple

Comment

• BNCHIEF
            BNCHIEF commented
            Editing a comment
            If you do it simple Dad play time is not as long or cool

• BILL WILLIAMSON
            BILL WILLIAMSON commented
            Editing a comment
            YES, BN,
            We drag out stuff & overcomplicate stuff, BUT, what else do we do, to pass the time???
            We could try drinkin' STRONG Coffee & chasin' Old, Cute Women--LOL--I'm a GO GETTER, until the Caffeine "HIGH" wears off!
            Dad

I had a thermostat fail after a few months and bought an engine overhaul because of it! Put in another & doing fine now.

Comment

I use a 180 t stat in the upper hose and have had no problems.

Comment

You can research the MOST dependable car out there & some JACKASSES will BAD MOUTH IT!!!---Like, "It only had 37,000 miles & it SLUDGED up SO bad, it wouldn't RUN"!!---Dumb Ass probably never changed OIL!!!
              Dad Skepticaloftheinterwebandtrustveryfewfolks (A TRUE Friend is one who'll share his ANTI-PAIN-PILLS, when you're in a pinch! HURTIN' AIN'T FUN!)
              Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 01-26-2018, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• saxman657
                Radiator Flush w/ Vinegar
                by saxman657
                I've posted about this before, but am at a new stage before pulling the radiator so wanted to start with a fresh new post.

First background: I started the TLC of my father-in-law's Model A last year. First time out after changing out filters in bowl and filling up a dry gas tank I spewed a huge amount of rusty water. Got her home and shoved a hose down the radiator and flushed a lot of...
                07-04-2020, 02:21 PM
              • saxman657
                Radiator Cleaning and Back Flush
                by saxman657
                I recently did a chemical flush (Blue Devil chemical) of my radiator - drained and flushed, then added 50/50 Sierra antifreeze. This past year I used distilled water with water wetter. When I did the chem flush a lot of rusty water came out but no rust chunks. Continued flushing with water until it came out clean, then added the 50/50 antifreeze. Yesterday, not an overly warm day for SoCal, the...
                02-28-2020, 02:01 PM
              • Roadster Rich
                Check for Purchase
                by Roadster Rich
                Along the lines of Mitch's post, I don't know the answer to this, but so many of us have had problems with cooling and the blocked radiators, I wonder if there could be some good calibrated check of the rate of flow through a radiator. For instance, keep pouring water into the radiator so that it is full (flowing out the overflow tube and top of the radiator won't matter) and then disconnect the...
                08-13-2017, 08:03 AM
              • 01A
                Thermosyphon cooling system
                by 01A
                I have read that the Model A has a Thermosyphon cooling system, even though it does have a water pump. I read where the clearance allows water to pass the water pump impeller if the pump were not operational. So if you had a fan belt break or some other issue that you had to run the car without the water pump operational, still mounted on the motor but not spinning, would the thermosyphon action work...
                06-01-2018, 02:59 PM
              • peterjwri
                ‘1922 Touring radiator, pressure relief?
                by peterjwri
                Hello, brand new to this forum. I inherited a 1922 Model T Touring from me grandfather recently and trying to get it road ready. Issue is with the radiator, is there a pressure purge valve on these radiators? My particular engine has a rotary shaft water pump set up. Any help would be appreciated!...
                11-09-2020, 05:19 PM
              • Greynomad
                Over heating only sometimes
                by Greynomad
                Last time I drove my ute any real distance, it overheated and boiled. I blamed a dodgey thermostat so I removed it. The trip home (over 100 miles) was uneventful so I thought I had solved he problem but yesterday, I went for another run and one way, things were fine but on the way home (this time about 23 miles each way), I saw the temperature spike and the engine boiled again. (remember there is...
                01-07-2020, 06:24 PM
              • Carbonhead
                Overheating
                by Carbonhead
                This is a newly purchased Model A pickup. Not sure what’s original, what’s not. Not sure what’s been done to motor, seller said he last drove the truck 19 years ago after complete rebuild. It was kept in a heated, dry garage. Appearance-wise it’s in excellent condition. Motor, etc.also very clean.

When cold it starts immediately. The problem is when driven about fifteen miles,...
                07-16-2018, 08:44 AM
              • Big guy
                Radiator boil out
                by Big guy
                Yesterday I took my longest road trip to date since buying Rose. Purring down the road at 50+ mph and then the Quail in front of me started pissing in my direction. Boy of boy was it hot. So to stay positive, I'm pretty sure I boiled the radiator clean;) After reading most of the threads on radiators and cooling issues, I have a plan of attack to determine if I damaged anything. I do not have any...
                07-14-2019, 09:20 PM
              • Bill G
                Condensation in oil filler pipe
                by Bill G
                See the attached photo. This was taken a couple months ago when it was still colder outside and I would go out to the garage every week or so during the winter and start the car up for a while or even take it for a few mile drive. Since then I cleaned it out, but now after about 100 miles and warmer weather, it is forming again. Weather now is in the upper '70's to low '80's

If I hold...
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                05-08-2018, 02:23 AM
              • Tom Wesenberg
                Engine Overheat and Thermostat Warning
                by Tom Wesenberg
                I use a thermostat in all my cars, including my Model A's, so this warning applies to modern and Model A cars. As many now know, I was in Arizona for 2 months to reunite with my girlfriend from the 70's and also to buy a nice rust free Buick. When I returned home the other day I noticed the engine temp would only get up to 109*. Even after completely blocking the air in front of the radiator, the...
                02-15-2019, 09:23 PM
              Working...
              X