Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adjusting Pressure Plate Fingers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Adjusting Pressure Plate Fingers

    Anytime you install a new pressure plate or are chasing the cause of clutch chatter, you need to check to be sure all 6 pressure plate fingers are at the correct height and even with each other. I made this simple tool to make the job quick and easy. I just use a bolt and two nuts through a piece of aluminum channel, and lock the bolt head 11/16" from the face of the aluminum channel. If the bolt head has markings, I file them smooth. This picture shows a pressure plate from Little Dearborn, that I installed for a club member a few years ago. Being a bit off of 11/16" isn't critical, but having all 6 the same measurement is critical.

    I made a hands free similar tool that beeps when the correct height is reached. You can see the picture and description in the "Homemade Tools" section.
    https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...homemade-tools



    Homemade Tools Clutch Adjuster.jpg

  • #2
    Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
    Anytime you install a new pressure plate or are chasing the cause of clutch chatter, you need to check to be sure all 6 pressure plate fingers are at the correct height and even with each other. I made this simple tool to make the job quick and easy. I just use a bolt and two nuts through a piece of aluminum channel, and lock the bolt head 11/16" from the face of the aluminum channel. If the bolt head has markings, I file them smooth. This picture shows a pressure plate from Little Dearborn, that I installed for a club member a few years ago. Being a bit off of 11/16" isn't critical, but having all 6 the same measurement is critical.

    I made a hands free similar tool that beeps when the correct height is reached. You can see the picture and description in the "Homemade Tools" section.
    https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...homemade-tools



    Homemade Tools Clutch Adjuster.jpg
    Tom I made this tool from your description last year. I had a problem and your tool design worked perfect for me. thanks for your support to this hobby .

    Comment


    • #3
      What is the reading between the bolt and the feeler gauge?
      Last edited by Ed H; 01-23-2018, 02:53 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ed H View Post
        What is the reading between the bolt and the feeler gauge?
        That's the .010" brass feeler that comes in the feeler gauge set, and it's normal use is for checking the clearance on electronic pickups for modern cars.
        I adjust each finger until the gauge has a slight drag as I push and pull it.
        So if I had the bolt head set at exactly 11/16", now I'd add .010" to that measurement.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

          That's the .010" brass feeler that comes in the feeler gauge set, and it's normal use is for checking the clearance on electronic pickups for modern cars.
          I adjust each finger until the gauge has a slight drag as I push and pull it.
          So if I had the bolt head set at exactly 11/16", now I'd add .010" to that measurement.
          I am familiar with feeler gauges, I did not know which you were using.
          Thank you

          Comment


          • #6
            Can this be done in the car?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mfarley View Post
              Can this be done in the car?
              Yes. A search will reveal many that have adjusted them in the vehicle
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said
              "It's all nuts and bolts"


              Mitch's Auto Service ctr

              Comment


              • #8
                Any good tool for this is a good thing. I just turn round stock to the dimension [ 5/8 or now 11/16"] and set the adjustment for a slight drag against a straight edge.


                A feeler strip is only needed when doing it in the vehicle.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mitch View Post

                  Yes. A search will reveal many that have adjusted them in the vehicle
                  Thanks - I need to check the fingers on my pressure plate after last summer’s install.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mfarley View Post
                    Can this be done in the car?
                    To hold the tool onto the clutch I glued two earth magnets onto the bar, acting as a second hand. I also installed another bolt and nut so that you can adjust two fingers at the same time without having to move the tool.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hey LEM , WELCOME to the VFF!!
                      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        LEM Welcome to the VFF
                        3 ~ Tudor's
                        Henry Ford said
                        "It's all nuts and bolts"


                        Mitch's Auto Service ctr

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks Tom. I am chasing a shudder in the clutch at the moment. After seeing this, I'm thinking I might make up a similar tool but with the bar that goes sccross the pressure plate made from some solid insulating material I have and set the screws till an electrical contact it made. An ohm meter between the bolt and the chassis somewhere will show when the fingers are set. No messing with shims.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Greynomad View Post
                            Thanks Tom. I am chasing a shudder in the clutch at the moment. After seeing this, I'm thinking I might make up a similar tool but with the bar that goes sccross the pressure plate made from some solid insulating material I have and set the screws till an electrical contact it made. An ohm meter between the bolt and the chassis somewhere will show when the fingers are set. No messing with shims.
                            Here's a link to the electronic one I made a few years ago, but your idea sounds easier and quicker to make.
                            #39 in "Homemade Tools" shows the picture and description.

                            https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...de-tools/page2

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mitch View Post

                              Yes. A search will reveal many that have adjusted them in the vehicle
                              Concur with Mitch and Patrick. I've done some in the car thru the inspection cover. One can press the starter button to rotate the clutch from there and use a small ruler or gauge to align the height . The same I've done with the V8 clutch 3 fingers. Also one can push the pedal to see the throwout bearing engagement at the same time.
                              Last edited by plyfor; 12-01-2019, 12:36 PM.

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Tom Wesenberg
                                Adjusting Pressure Plate Fingers / Clutch & Flywheel Info
                                by Tom Wesenberg
                                Original Thread
                                https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...-plate-fingers

                                Anytime you install a new pressure plate or are chasing the cause of clutch chatter, you need to check to be sure all 6 pressure plate fingers are at the correct height and even with each other. I made this simple tool to make the job quick and easy. I just use a bolt and two nuts through a piece of aluminum channel,...
                                01-23-2018, 10:20 AM
                              • BillLee/Chandler, TX
                                Clutch matters...
                                by BillLee/Chandler, TX
                                My car has a lightened flywheel and a V8 clutch. It came that way from an engine build from the mid-80's. The pressure plate has some chunks of steel welded on it, apparently for balancing. Note in the picture the slug of steel welded in at about the 9 o'clock position, and another welded into the hole over the spring at about the 3:30 position. I haven't looked closely (yet) to see if there is any...
                                11-05-2018, 10:39 AM
                              • Ayyy
                                Clutch Pressure Plate: New vs. Rebuilt Original...Which Do You Recommend?
                                by Ayyy
                                I'll be replacing the clutch in the next few weeks. My stock pressure plate options seem to be either a brand new one, or a rebuilt unit. Which type do you prefer?

                                For reference, this is Bert's New Pressure Plate:
                                https://parts.modelastore.com/show_Product.asp?ID=13103...
                                04-09-2018, 07:22 PM
                              • Rowdy
                                Ford Ahead of Auburn in Design by Late 1928
                                by Rowdy
                                Shocking statement to make, but have the proof is pictured below. The first pics are of the 1931 to 1935 Aubrn pressure plate. Please note the notches in the ends of the clutch fingers. Second pics are of a stock Model A pressure plate used by Ford from Nov 1928 through 1934. No notches. While the Auburn pressure plate can be used in the Model A as they have the same spring pressure and surface height....
                                04-09-2018, 05:39 PM
                              • Tom Wesenberg
                                Dave's Clever New Clutch Tool
                                by Tom Wesenberg
                                Last month at our club meeting Dave Gerold showed a clever design he invented for a clutch finger adjustment tool.
                                I just posted pictures and the description in the Homemade Tools section of the Chassis Reference.

                                https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...homemade-tools
                                03-16-2018, 06:41 PM
                              • Jerry Kzoo
                                Pressure Plate Adjustment Screws
                                by Jerry Kzoo
                                Does anyone know of a source to get the pressure plate adjustment screws? I am looking at cleaning one up and adjusting it and it looks like the screws that were staked will not be usable once they are taken apart.

                                Thanks, Jerry
                                10-22-2017, 07:17 PM
                              • Mitch
                                Homemade Tools
                                by Mitch
                                Post your homemade tools to this thread.
                                06-15-2017, 07:50 PM
                              • BillLee/Chandler, TX
                                Removing the gas gauge
                                by BillLee/Chandler, TX
                                Tank for my '29 Tudor, got from Berts. Came with the old gas gauge in it. I want to get the gauge out. How?

                                I bought the special tools that are supposed to work. Was warned that they are close to worthless but already had them. The tank has been sitting with PBBlaster for over a week. The tools ARE close to worthless! Soft pot metal, poor fit, and incapable of taking the gas gauge out....
                                02-26-2018, 07:15 PM
                              • 40B1930
                                Clutch Chatter Diagnosis
                                by 40B1930
                                After 60 miles of shake-down drives, I am hearing clutch disc chatter with the trans. in nuetral. When I press the clutch pedal in to the point where the slack is taken up the chatter stops. After driving the car for a few miles the chatter is gone (maybe the grease on the new throw-our bearing thins after warming)?
                                1. All parts are new
                                2. Clutch disc was centered
                                3. Pressure plate...
                                08-26-2018, 06:08 PM
                              • Paul K.
                                Clutch Disc F150 3spd w/OD
                                by Paul K.
                                I need a Clutch Disc for the F150 Transmission Input Shaft. Need 9"dia, 10 teeth spline and 1 1/6" shaft to install with a Model A Clutch and Throw Out Bearing on Model A Flywheel.
                                The hole for the Torsion Spring hub on the Model A Pressure Plate is 5" dia.
                                Folks say use 86 TBird 2.3L 4cyl Turbo, but that hub is about 5 3/4" dia. Have learned that are using the...
                                03-14-2018, 03:57 PM
                              Working...
                              X