Adjusting Pressure Plate Fingers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting Pressure Plate Fingers

Anytime you install a new pressure plate or are chasing the cause of clutch chatter, you need to check to be sure all 6 pressure plate fingers are at the correct height and even with each other. I made this simple tool to make the job quick and easy. I just use a bolt and two nuts through a piece of aluminum channel, and lock the bolt head 11/16" from the face of the aluminum channel. If the bolt head has markings, I file them smooth. This picture shows a pressure plate from Little Dearborn, that I installed for a club member a few years ago. Being a bit off of 11/16" isn't critical, but having all 6 the same measurement is critical.

I made a hands free similar tool that beeps when the correct height is reached. You can see the picture and description in the "Homemade Tools" section.
    https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...homemade-tools

Homemade Tools Clutch Adjuster.jpg

Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
    Anytime you install a new pressure plate or are chasing the cause of clutch chatter, you need to check to be sure all 6 pressure plate fingers are at the correct height and even with each other. I made this simple tool to make the job quick and easy. I just use a bolt and two nuts through a piece of aluminum channel, and lock the bolt head 11/16" from the face of the aluminum channel. If the bolt head has markings, I file them smooth. This picture shows a pressure plate from Little Dearborn, that I installed for a club member a few years ago. Being a bit off of 11/16" isn't critical, but having all 6 the same measurement is critical.

I made a hands free similar tool that beeps when the correct height is reached. You can see the picture and description in the "Homemade Tools" section.

Homemade Tools Clutch Adjuster.jpg
    Tom I made this tool from your description last year. I had a problem and your tool design worked perfect for me. thanks for your support to this hobby .

Comment

What is the reading between the bolt and the feeler gauge?
      Last edited by Ed H; 01-23-2018, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed H View Post
        What is the reading between the bolt and the feeler gauge?
        That's the .010" brass feeler that comes in the feeler gauge set, and it's normal use is for checking the clearance on electronic pickups for modern cars.
        I adjust each finger until the gauge has a slight drag as I push and pull it.
        So if I had the bolt head set at exactly 11/16", now I'd add .010" to that measurement.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

That's the .010" brass feeler that comes in the feeler gauge set, and it's normal use is for checking the clearance on electronic pickups for modern cars.
          I adjust each finger until the gauge has a slight drag as I push and pull it.
          So if I had the bolt head set at exactly 11/16", now I'd add .010" to that measurement.
          I am familiar with feeler gauges, I did not know which you were using.
          Thank you

Comment

Can this be done in the car?

Comment

Originally posted by mfarley View Post
              Can this be done in the car?
              Yes. A search will reveal many that have adjusted them in the vehicle
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said
              "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Any good tool for this is a good thing. I just turn round stock to the dimension [ 5/8 or now 11/16"] and set the adjustment for a slight drag against a straight edge.

A feeler strip is only needed when doing it in the vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post

Yes. A search will reveal many that have adjusted them in the vehicle
                  Thanks - I need to check the fingers on my pressure plate after last summer’s install.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Tom Wesenberg
                    Adjusting Pressure Plate Fingers / Clutch & Flywheel Info
                    by Tom Wesenberg
                    Original Thread
                    https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...-plate-fingers

Anytime you install a new pressure plate or are chasing the cause of clutch chatter, you need to check to be sure all 6 pressure plate fingers are at the correct height and even with each other. I made this simple tool to make the job quick and easy. I just use a bolt and two nuts through a piece of aluminum channel,...
                    01-23-2018, 11:20 AM
                  • BillLee/Chandler, TX
                    Clutch matters...
                    by BillLee/Chandler, TX
                    My car has a lightened flywheel and a V8 clutch. It came that way from an engine build from the mid-80's. The pressure plate has some chunks of steel welded on it, apparently for balancing. Note in the picture the slug of steel welded in at about the 9 o'clock position, and another welded into the hole over the spring at about the 3:30 position. I haven't looked closely (yet) to see if there is any...
                    11-05-2018, 11:39 AM
                  • Ayyy
                    Clutch Pressure Plate: New vs. Rebuilt Original...Which Do You Recommend?
                    by Ayyy
                    I'll be replacing the clutch in the next few weeks. My stock pressure plate options seem to be either a brand new one, or a rebuilt unit. Which type do you prefer?

For reference, this is Bert's New Pressure Plate:
                    https://parts.modelastore.com/show_Product.asp?ID=13103...
                    04-09-2018, 08:22 PM
                  • Rowdy
                    Ford Ahead of Auburn in Design by Late 1928
                    by Rowdy
                    Shocking statement to make, but have the proof is pictured below. The first pics are of the 1931 to 1935 Aubrn pressure plate. Please note the notches in the ends of the clutch fingers. Second pics are of a stock Model A pressure plate used by Ford from Nov 1928 through 1934. No notches. While the Auburn pressure plate can be used in the Model A as they have the same spring pressure and surface height....
                    04-09-2018, 06:39 PM
                  • Tom Wesenberg
                    Dave's Clever New Clutch Tool
                    by Tom Wesenberg
                    Last month at our club meeting Dave Gerold showed a clever design he invented for a clutch finger adjustment tool.
                    I just posted pictures and the description in the Homemade Tools section of the Chassis Reference.

03-16-2018, 07:41 PM
                  • Jerry Kzoo
                    Pressure Plate Adjustment Screws
                    by Jerry Kzoo
                    Does anyone know of a source to get the pressure plate adjustment screws? I am looking at cleaning one up and adjusting it and it looks like the screws that were staked will not be usable once they are taken apart.

Thanks, Jerry
                    10-22-2017, 08:17 PM
                  • Mitch
                    Homemade Tools
                    by Mitch
                    Post your homemade tools to this thread.
                    06-15-2017, 08:50 PM
                  • BillLee/Chandler, TX
                    Removing the gas gauge
                    by BillLee/Chandler, TX
                    Tank for my '29 Tudor, got from Berts. Came with the old gas gauge in it. I want to get the gauge out. How?

I bought the special tools that are supposed to work. Was warned that they are close to worthless but already had them. The tank has been sitting with PBBlaster for over a week. The tools ARE close to worthless! Soft pot metal, poor fit, and incapable of taking the gas gauge out....
                    02-26-2018, 08:15 PM
                  • 40B1930
                    Clutch Chatter Diagnosis
                    by 40B1930
                    After 60 miles of shake-down drives, I am hearing clutch disc chatter with the trans. in nuetral. When I press the clutch pedal in to the point where the slack is taken up the chatter stops. After driving the car for a few miles the chatter is gone (maybe the grease on the new throw-our bearing thins after warming)?
                    1. All parts are new
                    2. Clutch disc was centered
                    3. Pressure plate...
                    08-26-2018, 07:08 PM
                  • Paul K.
                    Clutch Disc F150 3spd w/OD
                    by Paul K.
                    I need a Clutch Disc for the F150 Transmission Input Shaft. Need 9"dia, 10 teeth spline and 1 1/6" shaft to install with a Model A Clutch and Throw Out Bearing on Model A Flywheel.
                    The hole for the Torsion Spring hub on the Model A Pressure Plate is 5" dia.
                    Folks say use 86 TBird 2.3L 4cyl Turbo, but that hub is about 5 3/4" dia. Have learned that are using the...
                    03-14-2018, 04:57 PM
                  Working...
                  X