Oil Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pump

We may have went over some of this in the oil filter thread. I am still a little grey on how the A oil system works. The A has a oil pump but is not full pressurized? Only certain parts get the oil from the pump? Shops machine and add some internal plumbing to get oil to the cam bearings?
    The B blocks have a better oil system?
    thanks guys

The model A oil pump pumps oil up to the vavle chamber and then gravity feeds oil to mains and dipper tray for the rods. Also oil flows to the timing gears. Purity simple, works well :-)

Comment

Www.jmodela.coffeecup.com ford fax, lubrication
      http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

It's not a pressurized system because the oil feed is wide open where it exits in the valve chamber.

Here is an article that Pluck wrote which resides in the Articles forum about the evolution of the oil pump.
        https://www.vintagefordforum.com/art...del-a-oil-pump
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

If you have insert bearings, do you need to modify for pressure, or do they still get enough lube?
          When you install a oil filter are you tapping into the output of the pump before it feeds the upper end? Is the filter totally in series with the flow from the pump to the upper?
          Sorry so many questions, I am trying to understand all this to make good decisions on my build for this second car.

Comment

• Big hammer
            Big hammer commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a inserted engine and the stock oil system works well, no filter yet I change the oil often! I’am using full synthetic oil, I have been thinking of adding a filter to extend oil change intervals :-)

With "Mikes-A-Ford-able Full Flow Oil Filter, http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A6705F.html" system, the oil pump pumps the oil directly into the filter first then it drains from the filter right back into the valve galley and continues on it's merry way throughout the engine dripping and splashing all over the place having just as much fun as if the filter wasn't there. Depending on which filter you use, it may add a slight bit of resistance to oil flow, but should not be enough to interrupt the lubricating of the engine.

IF you decide to use an oil pressure gauge and have it attached at the plug in the lower right side of the block, a good indication that the filter is needing replacement is when your oil pressure starts to climb showing the filter is becoming dirty and clogged up because that is the first thing the gauge will see. I don't recommend this method of checking because by the time you see the filter starting to clog, you have already diminished the amount of oil the engine is receiving.

Change the filter with each regular oil change.
          You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Originally posted by dmdeaton View Post
            If you have insert bearings, do you need to modify for pressure, or do they still get enough lube?
            When you install a oil filter are you tapping into the output of the pump before it feeds the upper end? Is the filter totally in series with the flow from the pump to the upper?
            Sorry so many questions, I am trying to understand all this to make good decisions on my build for this second car.
            No you do not need to modify for pressure. the filter gets the oil at the valve chamber then returns it where it use to come out. so you really do not change the oil flow. The pump is capable of 80lbs or more pressure, but it is not restricted so you will not see much pressure.

Comment

So even with a slightly modified engine there is no reason to use a Stipe's hi volume oil pump?

Comment

• CM2
                CM2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Nope,no reason...the oil pump lifts the oil about 7 inches and fills a gallery. That's it. Stipe's pump might be of some value if you completely pressurize your engine,but by then you are on the path of speed,a path that leads to sorrow and empty wallets..and that's with cheap horsepower...Model A horsepower is very expensive so the curve to poverty is short.

Un modified has worked for 90 years. Solution to pollution is dilution (from keeping aquariums). change the oil. start the car and let it warm up prior to driving. Don't run lean. Don't lug the engine. Don't run rich. don't flood it.
              Ymmv
              http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

• tbirdtbird
                tbirdtbird commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep