King Pin Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Pin Kit

If you purchase the Kingpin kit from the two reputable sources, the felt cups are too big. If you search to buy individually felt cups they state that these are machined to the correct size as the others were bigger.(I'm certain the bigger ones are in the kit) I was putting in pins last night and with the kit felt cups and felt it will just wedge and mangle itself trying to align the spindles. Just a FYI....

I thought the same when I put mine in but figured a technic to get them in without crushing them. I got my kit from Bert's btw. First thing I did was rub in some grease in the felt, place it in the cup and lay it in place on the spindle. Take the king pin and stick it in the spindle in the bottom, this is only to hold the cup in place and the felt so you can get the pin to drop in the top. You are only going to need to hold the pin up in the cup so it doesn't slip out of alignment. When it gets aligned you should be able to push the pin up into the axle easily. Slide the pin back down and out of the spindle. Pack your thrust bearing with grease, put a shim to start with on next so it's under the thrust bearing. Slide the pin down in the spindle. Position your brake shaft etc, and lock in place with the keeper pin insert in the front and nut on back of the axle.

Comment

Well my kit came from Brattons and it look exactly as Snyders (probably same source) Bert's is great but kills me on shipping to VA. Maybe he has a kit that contains correct height cups. I will use your technique when I get my other cups.I have a old pin I could use. Great idea!!!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Jim Mason
        king pin felts
        by Jim Mason
        New one on me. Im rebuilding (not restoring) a front end and on dissasembly noticed the lower cup didn't have a felt in it. Well incleaning up the king pin I found it, and the actuating pinfelt. they were both on the bell of the king pin.

08-03-2019, 10:54 AM
      • Cape Codder
        King Pin Installation
        by Cape Codder
        Can someone tell me the clearance for the King Pins when installing new bushings? I don't know if there is a standard clearance needed or is this measurement just to the Model A Ping Pins....
        08-19-2020, 07:50 PM
      • Mach.8
        King Pin Retainers
        by Mach.8
        My king pin retaining pins/bolts have been installed backwards. They were inserted from the rear of the axle and the nut/steering stop is on the front. I became aware of this when the inside of my left front tire rubbed on the brake rod during a tight turn. I figured I could just remove them and reinstall in the proper direction. I removed the nut and lock washer, reinstalled the nut loosely with...
        07-07-2020, 01:55 PM
      • carolinamudwalker
        king pin bearing
        by carolinamudwalker
        Had the front end jacked up for other work when I remembered Mitch saying you should be able to rotate the bearing on top of the king pin. Well passenger side only took two fingers to rotate. I could not rotate drivers side even with large vice grips. Now these bearings were replaced last June and came from a reputable vender. I used the two spacers as directed. I am told that Timkin bearings...
        02-10-2020, 07:54 AM
      • canadian
        king pin
        by canadian
        looking for advice on king pin repair/replacement. 1929. Have noticeable movement in both left and right. Is it common for bushings to wear and pin be ok? Is there a complete overhaul kit available ? Can this be performed at Home Shop or Definitely a Machine shop? Reason for asking is parts availability is non-existent for me ,everything has to be ordered and time frame is sometimes longer because...
        10-21-2019, 05:37 AM
      • dmdeaton
        Kin Pin Locking Bolt and Front Axle
        by dmdeaton
        Ok, 1 more dumb question tonight and I will leave everyone alone. The new king pin locking bolts wont start through the axle. I thought the holes might be tapered, and the axle is installed backwards, but the locking bolts are not tapered. I am guessing I just need to ream or run the proper size drill through the holes to clean them out?
        04-28-2018, 08:11 PM
      • Steve Plucker
        The Spindle Bolt Locking Pin: A-3122
        by Steve Plucker
        There were three types of Spindle Bolt Locking Pins.

Two types were round in shape when assembled to the front axle to lock the King Pin into place which also had a 1/2 round cut into it to accept the pin...The other had a "V" type notch that took an entirely different style of pin, which I think, locks the King Pin into place a little better than the previous types.
        10-29-2020, 02:45 PM
      • Dennis
        King Pins and Bushings
        by Dennis
        In the next couple days I'm going to be fitting my king pins to new bushings. I'm not sure what the clearance should be. Anybody have an idea what the specs are on that? Here's another question. I noticed the upper thrust bearing was on what looked upside down. Both sides were that way and as far as I can tell nothing has ever been done to the front axle. I can post a picture...
        06-24-2017, 12:52 AM
      • Cape Codder
        FRUSTRATED!!
        by Cape Codder
        Why am I unable to find the answer to my question when I'm sure I have already read it?
        What is the diameter of the hole in the axle for the King Pin?

I have used the search with different wordage with no results!
        09-10-2020, 08:20 PM
      • carolinamudwalker
        King pin, as in one
        by carolinamudwalker
        I received the spindles from the estate sale and I am having new bushings pressed in. The venders will only sell the king pins as a pair. Would anyone have a single they would part with? We have signed up for the Rout 66 tour and will be covering between 6&7 thousand miles, half of it solo and would like to carry a spare. Thanks...
        03-27-2020, 08:26 AM
      Working...
      X