One pice rear main seal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One pice rear main seal.

Has any one had good luck with the one pice rear main seal ? Like 100% success.

George, are you referring to the rubber seal that stretches over the crankshaft flange? I've often wondered why somebody hasn't tried a seal like they put in the old SBC that was rubber 2 piece and had a lip.

Comment

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes the rubber seal. As far as the sb chev I have done that back in the 90ts when I was using pressure oiling.
      The rubber seal work once when i tried it. Next time it didn't work, so I never used it again. Some in club have tried them and most leak.

When I had a B engine reconditioned a few years ago, the slinger was damaged so they machined it off and fitted one of those seals. It worked very well but later, I had to dismantle the engine (can't remember why now). I used a new one and it leaks terribly. I've been told that it s a bit hit and miss as to whether they work but the maker once told me that once assembled, blow about 45 psi of air up the drain tube to make sure the lip is seated straight. That is a MUST, he said. I didn't do it and it leaked. If ever I am in there again, I'll do as he said. If any of you really want to know how it goes, I'd be happy for you to do the work and check it out o my engine.

Comment

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks maybe that is the secret. But I do not remember it saying that in the directions.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Ayyy
    Installing Rear Wheel Hub Seals. Dont Let Me Be Stupid.
    by Ayyy
    I'm installing rear wheel hub seals right now and I have a question. I searched the Chassis and Powertrain tech areas, but no luck. Maybe I'm too stupid to do an efficient search??

How deep do the seals sit?
    Seams simple enough... most cars have a ridge to seat the seal against, but not in this case. This makes for no hard stop for the seal and I'm concerned that I'll install the...
    05-23-2018, 05:49 PM
  • 1930 Closed Cab PU
    Rebuilt motor, rope seal leakage
    by 1930 Closed Cab PU
    Got call a from the Model A shop. They informed me progress of my A, rebuilt motor and lots of other things are basically done. So now once weather gets warmer, I will be going there to drive it around for a couple of hours as shake down so they can correct any concerns I may have before taking it home. They informed me that a rope seal had a little seepage, but since it has been so cold they have...
    03-03-2019, 08:04 AM
  • Jim Mason
    rubber seal around shifter
    by Jim Mason
    Anybody have the details on the rubber seal around the shift tower that was tacked to the floorboard?
    03-28-2019, 03:42 PM
  • Hoogah
    Rear main seal options - which one?
    by Hoogah
    My ‘29 motor is at the engine rebuilders after discovering white metal in the sump when chasing a rear main oil leak (see separate thread “Dropped sump, found metal”). He’s going to re-pour the main bearings, but is happy with the condition of the babbit on the con rods (the motor has been rebuilt once that I know of). The babbit on the rear main was mostly gone and what was there looked way...
    07-08-2018, 10:32 PM
  • Steve Plucker
    O-ring size for shocks
    by Steve Plucker
    What are the correct measurements for the LARGE O-ring that fits the outside of a Model A shock?

It is so flimsy that I can not get a good reading...at least with the ID and OD readings.

It seems so thin (thickness)...would a thicker one be better???

Thanks.

Pluck...
    01-18-2019, 05:41 AM
  • plyfor
    Another front crank shaft seal
    by plyfor
    Found this photo on the net of a modern type seal. Just found out it is a modern seal with an alum. outer jacket sold by Specialty Motor Cam ( replacement shocks, etc.)....
    11-18-2017, 02:00 PM
  • STEBS
    Front wheel seal
    by STEBS
    Got my replacement front hub in the mail the other day. Had a bearing and seal waiting for me at the parts store the next morning.

Be-bopped in there the next morning to pick up parts for the shop and my parts as well. Bearing was good to go. I had a number to cross and it was right. The seal I had to search model a and turned up (if I can remember correctly...) national oil 5796 ? I...
    02-05-2020, 09:15 PM
  • Mickey
    Torque tube seal and bushing
    by Mickey
    I figured out the seal but which way does the bushing go in? Dimple towards the front or rear?
    02-16-2019, 01:15 PM
  • mhsEngineeringStudents
    Rear Wheel Bearing Seal
    by mhsEngineeringStudents
    We are currently removing the rear wheel bearing seal to take out the bearings to inspect them. What would be the best course of action in doing this?
    Trevor
    02-17-2021, 09:19 AM
  • JtownJoe
    front seal direction?
    by JtownJoe
    Hi, I have the new modern seal and there is an inner ring that appears to be directional, does the beveled side inner seal fin point toward the radiator or toward the crank case?
    10-24-2017, 06:18 PM
Working...
X