Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tube or Tubeless for Model A Radial Tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube or Tubeless for Model A Radial Tires?

I don't plan to buy radials for my Model A, but many have, and there are questions as to whether it's OK to run tubeless?
    I'm on the fence, but here are my thoughts.
    My 1950 Studebaker has metal bolt in stems and no tubes with the radial tires. The Model A rims should be similar but narrower, so I'd think you could go tubeless. The thing is the rim doesn't have the extra ridge to hold the bead in place during loss of air, which could happen by taking a corner too sharp and fast, or hitting a bad pothole. Anything that could pop the tire away from the outside lip for a split second could cause loss of air. Under normal driving, this is very unlikely to happen, so I don't know what I'd do. Normally tubes hold air for much longer periods of time, so I like to use them, but radial tubes are so expensive, I'd have to think about it.

Not sure on the A rims but many with the 16" wires and/or steel rims (40 style) go tubeless. How many take a corner too fast or hit pot holes??
    Paul in CT

Comment

• tbirdtbird
      tbirdtbird commented
      Editing a comment
      fast cornering....my nephew......

My friend hit a pot hole getting off I90 onto hwy 18 and the car went airborne.everything seemed ok, so he drove 55 miles an hr 20 miles to Auburn . When he got off the hwy and made a sharp turn, his tierod end popped out.pretty hard to drive when your frt wheels point different directions.the way our roads in Washington are maintained, unusual, but,it it does happen.

Comment

Tom,

Here is one opinion on your stating: "I'd have to think about it."

My most sincere thoughts about if "anyone" is thinking about experimenting and installing 19" Model A radial tires without the radial tire manufacturer's recommended radial rated tubes:
      1. No matter who pays for it, the average cost of a non-elaborate funeral & burial is about $8,600.00.

2. Next ..... think about the pain in the butt for both family members and friends who have to waste valuable time to wake someone & bury someone very healthy because he did not spend under $250.00 to install radial tire manufacturer's recommended radial tire tubes as directed ......... not to mention that $250.00 is not much for a one time Model A .................."Radial Tire/Inner Tube Life Insurance Policy."

3. One can imagine a headstone inscription after a serious Model A blow out accident, like:

He actually saved $250.00 with his Model A Restoration, and ....... He succeeded to "Travel Over The Rainbow!"

Tom,

You are far too kind and too valuable for all of us for you to try to drive without recommended radial tubes ..... but just one opinion.

Comment

If you are going to cut corners then you probably should not do it at all, H L made some great points and info in the thread i started about radial tires, I plan on following his advice.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• 2manycars
          Tires
          by 2manycars
          The 600-16 bias firestone wide white tires on my 40 are getting old, and I want to replace them with coker radials. What is the opinion on 600-16 vs 650-16? Are radial tubes necessary?...
          06-21-2018, 07:30 AM
        • old31
          Antifreeze in tires for balancing
          by old31
          Who is using antifreeze for balancing? Do you see any drawbacks?

I have tied installing the dyno beads twice and I gave up. Once on my old tubes and once on my brand new radial tubes. I vibrated them, shook them, poured them real slow, they just bunched up, so I will stick to the old ugly weights....
          03-18-2019, 11:55 PM
        • 2manycars
          radial tires
          by 2manycars
          Is anybody using 16 inch radial tires on their car? 600-16 or 650-16? Coker says the tire is tube type. Anybody try mounting on an old ford wheel without a tube?
          06-21-2018, 09:04 PM
        • popsjohn
          Metal Stems on Radial Tubes
          by popsjohn
          I am looking to put radial tires on my car and from what I've read on this forum I will need radial tubes. Can these be purchased with the nickel stems or does the rubber stem tube need to be modified?
          07-15-2020, 10:54 AM
        • mysarah
          tire dry rot
          by mysarah
          Hi all. I'm not a mechanic and I'm a Model A novice so there's not much I can contribute, but I sure have learn a lot from checking in regularly during the last year and a half. I driven my 31 Tudor over 5k in the last year and love every mile.
          I need tires. I have two Firestone with good tread but some dry rot. Is it safe to put them on the rear with new tubes? I eat up two new Firestone's...
          05-13-2020, 09:14 PM
        • BNCHIEF
          Radial Tire Information
          by BNCHIEF
          I was wondering about radial tires do they make a big difference on your car steer easier ride etc . I will use the orignal size wheels....
          05-26-2017, 06:57 PM
        • Big guy
          Egad..more tire talk
          by Big guy
          After reading several strings on tires including radials, I decided it may be time to look at my Firestones. I talked to Coker and they said the tires were likely theirs. While the tires don't look bad they are at least 20 years old. My Tudor came from a gentleman in Ohio and she was always kept in a climate controlled garage. This should be a no brainer for me but at almost $1,200 for new ones the...
          08-03-2018, 10:35 AM
        • DustDevil
          Question about RIM WIDTHS
          by DustDevil
          I'm in the market for some new tires for Bonnie, my 1930 Town Sedan. She came with some economy tires that Coker says would fit on 2 1/2 or 3 inch rims. I measured my rim width at the farthest out edges and they are 4 ". Am I measuring the width correct or do you measure the rims from some other spot, like where the tire sits inside? If I'm correct, I should have a bigger, better tire on these...
          06-20-2017, 07:17 PM
        • BNCHIEF
          Do radial tires improve the steering and ride of a model a
          by BNCHIEF
          I was wondering about radial tires do they make a big difference on your car steer easier ride etc . I will use the orignal size wheels....
          05-26-2017, 06:57 PM
        • old31
          Radial tube install hardware, what have you used?
          by old31
          For those that have installed cokers new radials tires and tubes. Actually, this question doesn't need to be about radials only. Have you installed them with, or without the metal u shaped brackets/bridge washer?

Coker is telling me for the nickel metal stems they should not be used. I have had issues with 2 of the stems pulling out of the tubes.

As Mitch said in an earlier...
          05-25-2019, 08:32 AM
        Working...
        X