See less

KingPin Removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to remove seized kingpins on a '56 GMC truck when I was 20. All I had was propane and a sledge.
    I about killed myself, but i got it done. Today, beyond any question, I would remove the axle, to level the playing field.
    Once of the nice things about Kevin's method is the vibration set up by the air hammer. Heat and vibration are the way to loosen the fine rust that has locked the pin in.

I once freed up a frozen dizzy on an old cadillac by aiming the needle scaler at the base and let'er rip. No damage was done to anything (just needles), but the vibration was incredible and that loosened it right up

Comment

Time to pull the axle,not only is it easier to do the work but bear in mind axles do bend,last thing you want to do is beat a king pin out and alter your camber at the same time...I know it sucks after your diet coke run but draw a breath and pull it down,check everything and do it right,in the end you.ll be glad you did.

Comment

Steel and iron are porous; and believe it or not, old "solid" rust is porous.

Old tight and dense compacted "porous" rust requires a special fluid to penetrate it.

Only few want to try this vintage, old time Mechanic-In-A-Can rust penetrating remedy; i.e., mixture of 1/2 Automatic Transmission Fluid + 1/2 Acetone in a "Glass Jar", but it works if applied often and allowed to soak for a few days.

The Glass Jar is often necessary to "see" that this mixture is "thoroughly" mixed prior to applying same. Sometimes some ATF's & some Acetone's do not want to mix; hence, one has to shake the jar immediately prior to application to "see" that one has this uniformly Pink colored vintage solution.

This homemade mix works when one can see it is Pink.

Comment

I agree pull the axle, you still have another side to do. As Chief mentioned above, you can then go over everything else while it's apart. You can bet your dollar that there may be more issues than the king pins.
          2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• BNCHIEF
            BNCHIEF commented
            Editing a comment
            After seeing those bearings you can bet on it, now is the time to do the whole front end springs and all while your at it and check that front crossmember for cracks. When you are done you will have piece of mind.

• Beauford
            Beauford commented
            Editing a comment
            New Springs, cross member is solid, new tie rod...new everything but axle, king pins and actuating arms and they are in decent shape. New brakes and shoes, new drums, original backing plates with new brake components. Hell, its all new or rebuilt. Just read something about king pins and did the test. Someone with my limited knowledge did not know to check. Now if you want to know how to make sewage water into drinking water I can help you with that....LOL or sell you the equipment.

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Beau
            I want to look into using the toilet water for my keurig. Any ideas?

• BNCHIEF
            BNCHIEF commented
            Editing a comment
            Beau great is the radius rod ball in good shape?

• Beauford
            Beauford commented
            Editing a comment
            Mitch, I can set you up with a gray water filtration system we use in 3rd world countries. LOL

Chief, all my balls are in great shape. One hangs a little lower though.

• CM2
            CM2 commented
            Editing a comment
            them aint coffee grounds your chewin on brother

Believe it or not, religion sometimes has an effect on the final result.
          I usually beat the "hell" out it! Jeff

Comment

• Beauford
            Beauford commented
            Editing a comment
            JD, I have had shit come out my mouth to make a sailor blush. I told Mitch a match in the gas tank may get them out then I thought I wouldn't get off that easy....

• JDupuis
            JDupuis commented
            Editing a comment
            The extreme heat from the shop fire might loosen the king pins.
            I don't suggest this as an alternative method though. Lol. Jeff

• CM2
            CM2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Fire has been very good to me,burnt model a's..I like burnt model a's..you make me blush,and i was a sailor,sailor..

• JDupuis
            JDupuis commented
            Editing a comment
            If memory serves me right, you made out like a "bandit" on that burnt model A.
            Sooooo........add a sailor and a bandit together....me thinks a pirate, maybe? Lol....rolly guy on floor. You know what I mean. Jeff

• Beauford
            Beauford commented
            Editing a comment
            Its on now! I got a 20 ton press on the cheap. Just put it together. Gave me a excuse to clean up my work space. It's like Pep Boys in here now and about the same knowledge...hahahahaha

• JDupuis
            JDupuis commented
            Editing a comment
            My fingers are crossed for you.
            And out of the way of the press. Good Luck. Jeff

• Beauford
            Beauford commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Jeff! I will keep you informed of my progress or lack there of...

So dropping the front axle but I take off drum and backing plate on other side.....the other king pin comes out with 3 blows....WTH??

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            That is because the worn out side was in there beating itself up.

Once you are done, be certain your grease pathways are totally clear. I'd be putting in new grease fittings. You gotta keep king pins greased well and often. If you do, they will last a long time. Jack up the car and turn the wheels left and right as you are greasing, grease the hell out of them, and do it often.

Also, check the tightness of your lock pins periodically, they like to loosen up. I whack 'em from the front then take up what I can with the nut. If you try to tighten the hell out of them with only the nut you can strip the threads

Comment

• BNCHIEF
            BNCHIEF commented
            Editing a comment
            Amen to what t-bird said I also use mobil synthetic grease just my choice.

The press is scaring me...lot of creaking. (like rust cracking or my axle) Shattered a socket and now using other pin with head cut off. Just hard to get a whole axle good and level so I need to use something shorter so there is no tilting.

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Sometimes i put my goggles on and a welding helmet on over them. Then i tie on my full body welding apron.. It does get scary sometimes

You can't press using a HF socket either

• CM2
            CM2 commented
            Editing a comment
            When you get a load on the pin with the press whack the axle a few times with a hammer,vibration works wonders,especially when combined with press load..

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Move your press table up to the pump as close as you can. Always press using the shortest distance. Place a strong steel cup under the spindle, this will help to steady the ASSY. I have an assortment of metal disc brake caliper pistons. I also use the cups that came with my ball joint press tool. As the pin presses it will go into the cup.

• Afordman31
            Afordman31 commented
            Editing a comment
            I used my cherry picker to hold the axle while I pressed out the kingpin as I was working alone!

FWIW, during king pin/spindle re-assembly ...... especially on an 85+ year old worn assembly::

1. Make sure the top & bottom spindle bushings cannot rotate inside the left and right spindles.

2. The holes in the top & bottom spindle bushings have to line up with the spindle holes for the spindle grease fittings.

3. If either the top and/or bottom bushings in the spindles "can" rotate inside the spindle, the bushing hole can rotate with the bushing to where it will not be aligned with the spindle grease fitting.

4. If this happens, the king pins and spindle bushings will not be able to receive needed grease lubrication.

Comment

• Beauford
            Beauford commented
            Editing a comment
            10-4 H.L. There is a excellent Model A King Pin Video on youtube that talks about this..

socket I put under knuckle...thought pin broke free..nope Husky broke.

Comment

• Beauford
            Beauford commented
            Editing a comment
            Wiz, seemed like you have done this before! HAHAAHA! This socket was just a stress reliever on the bottom but you guessed right. I was hold everything and do it all at once. My back will know tomorrow. I have a fellow Model Aer 30mins away who has a torch. He said he would get it out or melt the axle.

Beauford, since you have the axle out, may I make a suggestion?

If you lay the axle on the floor, drill the hole a bit, just enough to slide a bolt in and get a short socket to fit the head of the bolt and use that as a guide to keep the socket in place. It will help even more if you have say a 2in or 3in bolt you can add enough nuts on to fill the socket you use. This will cut down on having to hold the axle, socket, and pump the press all at the same time, and be sure to use the shortest socket possible as Mitch mentioned.

It would also help if you were using impact sockets.
          Last edited by DaWizard; 01-13-2018, 11:42 PM.
          VFF Recruiter

"We do not stop playing because we grow old;
          We grow old because we stop playing ...
          NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

"Why so Serious?"

Comment

When you get some pressure on that, use a torch and apply some heat then cool you may find it is starting to move a little that way what wiz said is good and a impact socket or borrow a snap on socket Mitch can always get you a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Afordman31 View Post
              I used my cherry picker to hold the axle while I pressed out the kingpin as I was working alone!
              Good idea.
              When I'm working in the basement, I've clamped a C clamp to the floor joist and tied a rope to it to hold a long part I'm working on.

Comment

• BNCHIEF
                BNCHIEF commented
                Editing a comment
                I use my cherry picker a lot i even use it to remove the hood on my car, makes it real easy to do by myself.

If it moved 1/8", I'd be tempted to hammer it back that 1/8", and keep going back and forth.

I am thinking at this point that you are gonna need some serious heat

The farm boys I knew back east had a trick when they needed to remove a rear tractor wheel from those long splined axles (they were long so they could adjust the wheel spacing to suit their crop rows).
              They would heat the center of the wheel hub with O/A to a good blue color and then walk away until the next day, when the wheels would just fall off. If they tried to hammer them right after they were heated they wouldn't budge

Comment

tbirdtbird~~I am thinking at this point that you are gonna need some serious heat
                You got that right. His Mapp gas isn't going to do squat.
                2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
                "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• tbirdtbird
                  tbirdtbird commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mitch I am sure you have a full size O/A setup. I'd like that but we have one of those mini-kits and since we seldom need that much heat, it works out real well. I keep some spare bottles of each gas, and I don't have to worry about storage space for the bigger rig

Sometimes ya just gotta let Mr O and Mr A take over......LOL

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Or you need MR. I

https://youtu.be/WcOE7NlHMpU

• BNCHIEF
                  BNCHIEF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Heat and quench with pressure on it won't hurt either just do not get in a hurry. This is a good time to look at the spring perch bushing as well.

• Beauford
                  Beauford commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Spring perch bushings are new
              Working...
              X