Clings V8 trans in an "A"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clings V8 trans in an "A"

Looking for first hand experience with this modification. Are the pedals and emergency brake handle, situated in EXACTLY the original location? Or are floorboard issues created, requiring mods to the floorboards and steetting column seal?
    Thanks

With this kit everything should be the same. No i never installed one

http://www.clingsaftermarket.com/add....asp?prod=3000
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

After conversing with Dudley, I think the gearshift location is moved back slightly. If using a mid 29-31 e-brake handle I think that is ok. If using the 28 or early 29 handle you will need to make your own mount. Pedals are in the stock location. Rod
      "Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." Thomas Sowell

Comment

I'm not gonna do it, but I'm curious what is the benefit of installing a V8 trans?

Comment

Synchro gears if using the right one. I have a 39 transmission that is nice inside that I plan to use in the delivery. Also with a good cluster gear would have another to use in another car. With carefull section it is much cheaper than the Mitchell synchro transmission. Rod
          "Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." Thomas Sowell

Comment

As a side note, we once had a coupe with a 2000cc Pinto engine which rev'd too high for the stock A tranny to shift into first gear and a challenge at 2nd. A synchro box would have been beneficial.

Comment

• CarlG
              CarlG commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought that the Pinto engine conversion took the tranny with it.

Carl, the builder we got the car from left everything stock except the engine and cleverly mated it to the fly housing. We sure would have preferred the Pinto tranny.

Comment

I have seen a couple of Pinto conversions.
              The problem with that motor is there is no low end torque and you have to rev the nuts off it to get it to do anything

Comment

I have a 39 transmission that is a candidate for this mod with a meager $200 parts investment, so the overall cost is less than half of what a Mitchell would run. Its not a double clutch issue with me as much as it's a clutch chatter problem. As long as I have to deal with the clutch, I'll put a v8 clutch in and at the same time make shifting a bit friendlier. I have a friend with a home machine shop who can do the flywheel machining for nothing so the incentives are there.
                Last edited by Russ/40; 01-13-2018, 12:50 PM. Reason: No pinto interest here

Comment

Not interested in any pinto mods, I won't stray that far from purity.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• William_Smith
                    How do I mount a 21 Stud with 36 Trans into a stock "A" Frame
                    by William_Smith
                    My 21 stud with a 1936 Trans is ready to be dropped into a 31 coupe but I need advice on transmission mounts, I bought weld-in front engine mounts from Brookville and the biscuits but not sure what to expect for the rear mount and was also told the ears on the Trans will not reach the center crossmember so I will have to make a support. I also bought adapters to run stock A pedals and parking brake....
                    02-09-2019, 11:36 AM
                  • Sport Coupe
                    trans change
                    by Sport Coupe
                    Hello I am new here just since yesterday, everything looks very interesting. Here is my question - although I have built several cars over the years I need to know about adapting a trans. I have a 32 ford 4cyl diamond block engine with a half top bell housing and 2 oil pans, one with the bottom piece removed from the pan and the other with it still on. What I would like to do is use a later v8 37...
                    01-29-2020, 07:55 PM
                  • William_Smith
                    V8-60 with big flatty trans
                    by William_Smith
                    News to me and for those who would want to run a 39 trans with a V8-60 it can be done with modification (basically cutting a big hole) in the trans housing to clear the bendix. Borrowed this photo from my friend Marty....
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    04-24-2019, 11:20 PM
                  • Greynomad
                    V8 pressure plate
                    by Greynomad
                    I have a V8 pressure plate in my "30 CCPU and the clutch operates just off the floor. There is LOTS of free play in the pedal before I can feel the pressure come on from the springs in the PP. Is that normal? I don't like it so what can I do? I suspect this is caused by the V8 PP bing lower than the A PP. Is that so?
                    t has occurred to me that a spacer in front of the thrust race would help...
                    10-20-2019, 01:12 AM
                  • Poor Boy
                    Transmission seal kit
                    by Poor Boy
                    Good morning Guys. I have been puttering at my 31 coupe trying to get rid of as many little issues as I can. This is not a restoration, just make it safe and drivable for now. I have an annoying leak at the two transmission shafts on the rear of the case, that makes a mess on the shop floor. I see that the vendors sell a kit to stop this. (A-7111-S). Does anyone have experience with this kit?...
                    02-20-2020, 09:29 AM
                  • BudP
                    How a Ford Early V-8 Helped Save Lives as an Aerial Minesweeper During WWII
                    by BudP
                    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/0...-world-war-ii/
                    06-18-2019, 08:20 PM
                  • ClaudeC
                    1933 v8 distributor rebuilding
                    by ClaudeC
                    I am starting to assemble the parts for a 1933 distributor. Need some help in rebuilding. Any good self help books out there, web sites?
                    01-22-2018, 12:34 PM
                  • old31
                    Ford F150 trans 4th gear
                    by old31
                    Is there anything that can be done with a Ford F150 trans 4th gear to lower the rpms?

The trans goes in a 31 Roadster. It is currently out for some engine work. I also installed a drain plug in it.
                    02-24-2020, 06:52 PM
                  • Jim Mason
                    early 28 type A handle
                    by Jim Mason
                    This us a style A handle used in coupes, Tudors and a couple other bodies till May 28 although this is in a November 28 Tudor. ...
                    11-15-2018, 03:10 PM
                  Working...
                  X