Clings V8 trans in an "A"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clings V8 trans in an "A"

Looking for first hand experience with this modification. Are the pedals and emergency brake handle, situated in EXACTLY the original location? Or are floorboard issues created, requiring mods to the floorboards and steetting column seal?
    Thanks

With this kit everything should be the same. No i never installed one

http://www.clingsaftermarket.com/add....asp?prod=3000
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

After conversing with Dudley, I think the gearshift location is moved back slightly. If using a mid 29-31 e-brake handle I think that is ok. If using the 28 or early 29 handle you will need to make your own mount. Pedals are in the stock location. Rod
      "Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." Thomas Sowell

Comment

I'm not gonna do it, but I'm curious what is the benefit of installing a V8 trans?

Comment

Synchro gears if using the right one. I have a 39 transmission that is nice inside that I plan to use in the delivery. Also with a good cluster gear would have another to use in another car. With carefull section it is much cheaper than the Mitchell synchro transmission. Rod
          "Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." Thomas Sowell

Comment

As a side note, we once had a coupe with a 2000cc Pinto engine which rev'd too high for the stock A tranny to shift into first gear and a challenge at 2nd. A synchro box would have been beneficial.

Comment

• CarlG
              CarlG commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought that the Pinto engine conversion took the tranny with it.

Carl, the builder we got the car from left everything stock except the engine and cleverly mated it to the fly housing. We sure would have preferred the Pinto tranny.

Comment

I have seen a couple of Pinto conversions.
              The problem with that motor is there is no low end torque and you have to rev the nuts off it to get it to do anything

Comment

I have a 39 transmission that is a candidate for this mod with a meager $200 parts investment, so the overall cost is less than half of what a Mitchell would run. Its not a double clutch issue with me as much as it's a clutch chatter problem. As long as I have to deal with the clutch, I'll put a v8 clutch in and at the same time make shifting a bit friendlier. I have a friend with a home machine shop who can do the flywheel machining for nothing so the incentives are there.
                Last edited by Russ/40; 01-13-2018, 11:50 AM. Reason: No pinto interest here

Comment

Not interested in any pinto mods, I won't stray that far from purity.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• GeezerGearhead
                    V8 Trans in a Model A
                    by GeezerGearhead
                    I want to install a V8 trans in my Model A. I have the trans - a 1937. Cling's has the adapter. Can I use the V8 flywheel and clutch? Has anyone done this?
                    03-24-2021, 11:49 AM
                  • William_Smith
                    How do I mount a 21 Stud with 36 Trans into a stock "A" Frame
                    by William_Smith
                    My 21 stud with a 1936 Trans is ready to be dropped into a 31 coupe but I need advice on transmission mounts, I bought weld-in front engine mounts from Brookville and the biscuits but not sure what to expect for the rear mount and was also told the ears on the Trans will not reach the center crossmember so I will have to make a support. I also bought adapters to run stock A pedals and parking brake....
                    02-09-2019, 10:36 AM
                  • Sport Coupe
                    trans change
                    by Sport Coupe
                    Hello I am new here just since yesterday, everything looks very interesting. Here is my question - although I have built several cars over the years I need to know about adapting a trans. I have a 32 ford 4cyl diamond block engine with a half top bell housing and 2 oil pans, one with the bottom piece removed from the pan and the other with it still on. What I would like to do is use a later v8 37...
                    01-29-2020, 06:55 PM
                  • William_Smith
                    V8-60 with big flatty trans
                    by William_Smith
                    News to me and for those who would want to run a 39 trans with a V8-60 it can be done with modification (basically cutting a big hole) in the trans housing to clear the bendix. Borrowed this photo from my friend Marty....
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    04-24-2019, 10:20 PM
                  • TZBrown
                    Transmission issues
                    by TZBrown
                    Well I changed the trans oil yesterday evening and found this in the drain plug well.
                    Now for the decisions, do I pull and rebuild this one, look for a replacement, or change to an overdrive trans?

Hopefully the posts from What did you do today that was model a related? will get transferred to here and more suggestions will be added
                    About 2K miles since I changed engines in...
                    09-04-2020, 09:33 AM
                  • Keith True
                    Mitchell OD in early-mid 28.
                    by Keith True
                    Will the shift bracket-linkage for the Mitchell OD fit the back of the trans with the early braking system? I'm thinking it won't,but not sure.I have a new overdrive sitting here and have been thinking I would like to use it in the July 28 car. Also,when was the change from the early style pinion to the newer style? I'm thinking it was earlier than July,but not sure.
                    01-16-2021, 02:17 PM
                  • Licensed to kill
                    Installing motor/trans
                    by Licensed to kill
                    I wil be putting the engine and trans back in my 31 fordor tomorrow and was wondering if there was a trick, or way to do it alone. Last time i had a friend come over and line uo the splines to the drive shaft while I put the engine/trans in place but it's in the minus 30's and I don't want to bother him. Too hard on vehicles to have him start one up just to come over and do this in they weather. ...
                    02-05-2021, 06:31 PM
                  • wrndln
                    Unknown emergency brake handles
                    by wrndln
                    I am a model A fellow and don't know much about early V8 parts. I am going through my cache of parts trying to sell the parts I know I will never need. I ran into 2 emergency brake handles I don't know what the fit. They aren't model A handles, as least none I have ever seen. These emergency brake handles may be for early V8 Fords. If anyone knows what the are for, please post it below. The picture...
                    01-12-2021, 06:48 PM
                  • Jordan
                    Shortened Emergency Brake Handle?
                    by Jordan
                    I am curious if anyone has tried a shortened emergency brake handle for more room in a Model A. Maybe something from a hot rod shop? Something that looks like it belongs if you don’t know what you’re looking at.

My emergency brake handle currently sits right against the AC. It’s fine, but if I want to make any adjustments to where the AC sits or is angled, I can’t, and I would...
                    12-29-2020, 07:40 PM
                  • AV8 Dave
                    20-plus year AV8 buildup
                    by AV8 Dave
                    Hi "Early Modified" forum members! I am "AV8 Dave" from the west coast of Canada (Victoria, BC to be exact) and after starting out on the "A" forum and meeting some of it's cool members, I was invited over here. Having always been into cars since age 15 and following a 20 year stint in oval track auto racing in which I built and drove several racecars, I had always wanted...
                    11-30-2020, 12:22 PM
                  Working...
                  X