Handy Battery Jumper Wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handy Battery Jumper Wires

I usually make up clip leads with alligator clips on each end, and usually make up one wire at a time. Sometimes you need to power an item right off the battery or from the large nut and stud at the starter switch, so I picked up up a pair of battery clamps and a set of 4 alligator clips at Menards for a couple bucks. I used an electrical cord from the surplus store for another 95 cents, so I only have about $3 into this 6 foot jumper wires. I left the wires connected together since both ends will usually be used together. They are easily pulled apart if I need to use the ends further apart. I'll coat the alligator clips with red and black Plasticoat to insulate them.
    Notice that I always solder the wires to the clips, rather than crimp them. I crimp the insulation only.
    Clip Leads.JPG

Wow, nice jumpers, Tom.

Comment

I have several of those in my electrical drawer of my tool box. I agree with soldering the connections.
      Bill
      http://www.brauchauto.com/
      Eastern Connecticut

Comment

I have the Longacre #45740 jumper posts from Speedway on both A's and the car trailer. These posts are mounted where I can access them easily. I highly recommend buying the bracket.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Tom Wesenberg
          Electricity 101
          by Tom Wesenberg
          When making electrical checks you can be measuring voltage or amperage. Voltage is the pressure behind the electron flow. Think of a high pressure hose squirting water on the lawn. It might have 40 pounds of line pressure, but not a lot of flow. Amperage is the amount of flow. Think of a river which flows hundreds of gallons of water per second. It doesn't have much pressure, as you can hold the open...
          05-17-2017, 03:49 PM
        • Tom Wesenberg
          A Variable Power Supply and Battery Charger
          by Tom Wesenberg
          This is a very handy tool to own. It's a variable power supply and battery charger with 2 ranges, 0-8 volts, and 0-16 volts. I bought mine at the local surplus store, thinking it was a working unit. It turned out it wasn't and it only put out 5 volts, which dropped to 3 volts after a couple minutes. I did some serious cleaning, and got mine to look as nice as this one on ebay. I took the case off...
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 4 photos.
          10-22-2017, 08:47 PM
        • JohnnyDeMichael
          Fuses
          by JohnnyDeMichael
          I just tuned my Model A last nite and the engine sounded good. Today, it would not start. It turned over good and the battery was strong. I opened the hood and the wire from the starter into the metal channel up to the terminal box had burned thru just 3 inches from the starter switch. I removed all wires from the terminal box and pulled the wire out of the metal channel and all of the insulation...
          09-05-2018, 09:21 PM
        • Beauford
          Cranking....
          by Beauford
          Rusty i having a hard time starting but once started runs great! I thought it might be something draining the battery but it is 6.15 at the battery, starter and coil. It will only want to do a revolution and then sometimes a few. Starter has been rebuilt by a local shop. I put a jumper on the pos ground to a engine bolt to test for bad ground but does the same thing. Head lights and horn are not installed...
          11-18-2017, 08:32 AM
        • plyfor
          Non Stock Battery Box ( for a driver, etc.)
          by plyfor
          Speedway sells a drop down battery box as per the attached photo. Has anyone tried one of these? They appear to fit a group 1 or many other sizes. The bracket mounting holes are 9" o.c horiz. x 4+" high and perhaps could be secured to the cross member or frame , etc. with some mod's. The photo shows the drop down position though we haven't yet investigated clearance issues, if any.....
          07-30-2018, 11:43 PM
        • Tom Wesenberg
          Locating an Electrical Short
          by Tom Wesenberg
          I wrote about this years ago, but it's worth repeating. Model A's have such a simple wiring harness, this may not be very useful for them, but can come in handy on later cars with several wires, and many times the wires are under the carpet.

In the early 80's I taught auto mechanics at the Vo Tech for one year. Another auto teacher told his students that if you want to find a short, you...
          10-02-2018, 10:37 AM
        • DaWizard
          Shim Stock.
          by DaWizard
          Ok, show of hands just how many of you have tried to separate a .001 shim from the bearing shim stock?

I have NEWS!!

I just figured a better way to do it without pealing them up like curley que. I have this tool that is called a "resistance solder machine" and basically what it does is has 2 wires which electricity is passed through to heat up an item, kinda like
          08-27-2018, 09:55 PM
        • Tom Wesenberg
          Fixing a Bad Starter Repair
          by Tom Wesenberg
          A club member's starter quit working the other day, and it was easy to see why. Someone had worked on the field coils or starter contact, and did a poor solder job. They cut the starter field wire short of the contact slit, and left some of the old winding still soldered to the contact. They then tried to solder the windings to the short strap, but didn't use enough heat, which resulted in a cold...
          This gallery has 5 photos.
          08-29-2017, 02:07 PM
        • Hank_kirk
          Question regarding 1926 Model T Re: Battery Polarity Connections
          by Hank_kirk
          I am new to this forum and have a question for you guys. When I built my 1926 Model T in 1962 my friend and well known Model T guru, Chris Egsgaard, instructed me to connect the positive battery pole to the frame and the negative pole to the start button. I have had it like that ever since but the car has always cranked slowly. The question is will reversing the polarity help the starter motor...
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          02-06-2018, 04:26 PM
        • plyfor
          New Battery Suggestions needed
          by plyfor
          We've been using Optima batteries with good success in 12 volt applications with 1 wire alternators. We tried a 6 volt Optima and haven't had much success with holding a prolonged charge. Our (commercial) battery vendor won't recommend a maintainer (such as the Battery Tender Junior, etc.) for the 6 volt application unless it's a wet cell battery. Any thoughts and / or what are folks using for batteries...
          05-05-2018, 05:08 PM
        Working...
        X