every once in awhile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• every once in awhile

Every once in a while the sun shines on a dogs ass..going to look at a B engine tomorrow...
    Last edited by CM2; 01-02-2018, 10:48 AM.

I'd throw a bill on a chance...she turn?

Comment

complete disassembled..seller says she was running when pulled down,had a knock..but hell yeah,a crapshoot it is...gimme the dice.

Comment

• Beauford
        Beauford commented
        Editing a comment
        Let us know how it turns out with pics!!

• CM2
        CM2 commented
        Editing a comment
        tomorrow sir..gonna be hard not to flip it..

One of our generational problems is that we can remember when our generation, in about 1950, for $100.00, could buy about two thousand (2,000) Coca-Colas at .05 each; and then get one cent back if we kids brought the empty bottles back = getting about $20.00 back.

Today, we are lucky to get about sixty (60) Coca-Colas with $100.00.

So today buying 2,000 Coca-Colas in 2018 would coast about $1,200.00.

If we consider we are only giving a guy about ten (10) six-packs of Coca-Cola for a Model B engine, this might sound to us seniors like a much better deal.

Comment

I love the 'hunt' side of Model A's,to me,the thrill of coming across a deal never changes,I get as giddy as a school girl. I've studied some about the B engine,the weakness in the valve area alone precludes me from building one..that,and my aversion to chasing speed,especially with the dollar cost per horsepower with the engine and its capability to eat all your money in one 'crack'.No,my speed chase ends with a high compression head,mild cam downdraft carb and centrifugal advance distributor..all on a model a engine.

That being said,there is another side of this model a hobby,the flip.I payed for my '29 by flipping a '57 beetle I got for an 'in sleeper' truck diesel fired heater.The real speed boys love B blocks and I need to develop my cash stock for the purchase of a 30/31 body for the frame I'm building. The model a game isnt quite a easy as flipping Vw parts but some stuff moves quick,real quick
        Last edited by CM2; 01-01-2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

A Man sed, "GIMME' 12 Yards uf thet PINK SILK"-----"Whut you gonna' Make"?-----"The Wife's gonna' make a NEW Nightgown"----"WHY???? so much"??-----"The HUNT is more FUN than the FIND"

Comment

offed this little jewel..its not a 50.its a 57 late oval,correct splitcase and 36hp,w decklid,clear needle speedo..let it go for 4k..cest la vie...kept the '67..

Comment

Picked up the B block,clean 80 over,deck pitted but no cracks..its off to the flip..
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Beauford
                Beauford commented
                Editing a comment
                Sweet!

The counterweighted crank should help sell it for a good price.

Comment

The more I sit on it the more I want to keep it..

Comment

• DaWizard
                  DaWizard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, if it were me, I would keep it and have it magnafluxed.

• CM2
                  CM2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wonder if going with an OHV would make the difference,then you could seal off most of the valve area..after I hit the Powerball that is...

I saw your ad, not looking to make too much profit are you??
                Paul in CT

Comment

Hey,even the blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while..it did twinge me for a second,Ill grant you that.But all is well,I looked closely at the block tonight and sent some pictures to the chipmaker..who said 'yeah,we can save it for an OHV conversion' so I pulled down all the ads,soothed my conscious and now have to figure out how I'm going to sell the wife on an OHV setup..

Comment

CM, hold your horses.
                    That is not just a B counterweighted crank.
                    It is a type of double counterweighted crank and def. worth extra. At first glance I thought it was an original Ford made BB crank, but I can see where the extra weights have been welded. They are bolted also. And it is not a true BB style because the rod journal is not overhung.
                    A true BB crank has the weights shrunk on
                    That crank is valuable

I can't find all my crank pix , so I am still a bit confused. In some ways it seems like an A crank that has had the weights added, as is so often done. But the rod journals are too big for that

also it is said that the rear main is hard to seal because of pressure oiling. That seems to be controversial, but some people I know have had a devil of a time.

If you are gonna go OHV then I'd get Jim Brierley's book

here is his email
                    [email protected]

You sure that is a B? I don't see the hole in the block for the fuel pump
                    OK, maybe, I think I can just barely make out the pad on the outside of the block

Another thought, since the crank is double weighted, I suspect a performance guy had his hands on this motor, I'd magnaflux the daylights out of it

George Miller, what do you think??
                    Last edited by tbirdtbird; 01-04-2018, 04:55 AM.

Comment

• CM2
                      CM2 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks.Ive got Jim's book,well worth the coin.Its a true B Block,the counterweights are fabricated and welded on The deck is nasty,a ton of pins in it a pitted in the combustion chamber,definitely an OHV candidate,too much of a crap shoot for a flathead.

Pull one of those main caps to see if it's an inserted block. I don't see shims.

Comment

• CM2
                      CM2 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      its babbit,and in decent shape

The block has been sleeved and has .080 split skirt ford pistons,the rod caps have shorter dippers than an A.This changes the whole curve of what I was doing..I was going to build up the A engine Im doing a bit,winfield head,centrifugal advance distributor and a holley or dual webers..now Im building it stock and Ill pump up this one..once I find a money tree..one other interesting thing..it has a stock cam with a total lift of .270..didnt know ford made a fuel pump cam under .300..
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment