X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin in NJ
    commented on 's reply
    You gota live a little dangerous!!
    The tank I had was dry for many many years so blowing up was not going to happen.

• aford193031
    commented on 's reply
    X2

• BNCHIEF
    replied
    I use a bore scope on a lot of things works great on tanks as well, lets you see everything in there I have used it to inspect motors as well.

Leave a comment:

• DaWizard
    commented on 's reply
    If there is the slightest smell of gas...keep that vacuum away from the tank!!!

• Kevin in NJ
    replied
    Take the gas guage off and get the spark arrestor out then put a light inside and see what you have. Should be a silvery coating, Terne (lead) coating to be exact, and no things bouncing around.

Light surface rust is ok, pitting makes it questionable. If there is no smell of gas you can make a narrow adaptor and suck up the junk with a vacuum.

Leave a comment:

• H. L. Chauvin
    replied
    1. If one's "unknown" Model A gas tank is already out of the car when purchased, it is not a bad idea to remember that this tank is already 85+ years old.

2. Also, just try to remember that there are some Model A owners who would never try to sell or get rid of an "excellent", "like-new", and leak proof Model A gas tank.

3. For example, after providing your time consuming gas tank cleaning and sealer treatment, and after your finish painted gas tank re-installation:

A. Suppose an interior metal baffle is loose and rattles and makes noise only when you cross a railroad track; and/or,

B. The tank was once coated with the old 1973 Model A recommended "Permatex/Alcohol" sealer hidden behind the tank baffles; and this sealer dissolves and badly clogs your fuel system and engine valves if you add ethanol gas; and/or,

C. The tank had leaks through rust holes or other holes that were improperly patched and painted; and/or

D. Whatever else many Model A owners might find out after final installation when it is too late.

4. For total peace of mind and life safety for years to come, I agree with the above logical responses to at least first call Mr. Brent in TN to get his professional opinion based on his many past Model A tank experiences.

Leave a comment:

• dmdeaton
    replied
    I figured with aftermarket tanks not available I would give it a shot and set it back as a good one for my project this summer. I am not out much if it is too bad off.

Leave a comment:

• BNCHIEF
    commented on 's reply
    My thoughts exactly Tbird or go to his seminar and take it with you.

• tbirdtbird
    replied
    he recently posted some pix and description of how he handles the situation, and I seriously doubt anyone else does it better. I would just ship it to him and be done with it

Leave a comment:

• BNCHIEF
    replied
    This is an area of expertise for a guy like Brent.

Leave a comment:

• dmdeaton
    started a topic fuel tank restore

fuel tank restore

I bought the fuel tank from the swap meet and want to play around with restoring it. I am going to get the outside cleaned up and make sure all threads are cleaned and chased. Should I take it somewhere to be etched and sealed, or try it myself? And I left a question about the repop floats in the repop thread.

Related Topics

Collapse

• jmart76
    Fuel Tank Clean
    by jmart76
    I'm a proud new owner of a 1929 Fordor. This is my first restoration so excuse my ignorance.

I can turn the engine over, but it doesn't stay started ( Video link below). After I made the video, I pulled the sediment bowl and it was full of rust. My next plan is to clean the fuel tank and either clean the carb or purchase a carb on ebay (please let me know what you prefer).

06-23-2019, 05:10 PM
  • KB9JLO
    Dirty Leg Fuel Setup
    by KB9JLO
    I saw this posting - https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...tering-options
    (and here: http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/kellyshutoff.htm)
    And that "dirty leg" fuel setup looks like that might be a good setup for making sure the tank is really clean. Anybody have any idea what size those fittings are? Is the fitting on the...
    08-05-2019, 02:05 PM
  • Mitch
    ATTN Brent!
    by Mitch
    Brent
    I posted this fuel system tech thread back in June and mentioned the work you do on fuel tank restorations in post #1. If there is anything you might want to add to this either for or against what i wrote? Feel free to add a comment onto that first post. Your input would be valuable to the information.

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...tering-options
    12-19-2017, 08:02 AM
  • Beauford
    Gas tank blues...
    by Beauford
    So when I received a gas tank I purchased I really didn't give it a good once over since the deal was done and guy said it had no dents and was a really nice tank. Got it back from sand blaster....what a waste of money. Huge whammy in the top corner. Nasty welds on upper corners of dash. Looks like fuel valve was snapped or cut off so there is a mess there....nobody will work on a tank correct due...
    07-18-2017, 06:44 PM
  • Michael M
    Model A gas tank
    by Michael M
    A distinctive feature of the Model A is the gas tank location and gravity feed system. Any ideas on what prompted this arrangement? And did any other car makers use a similar arrangement?...
    02-03-2018, 10:35 AM
  • BillLee/Chandler, TX
    After you get it clean .....
    by BillLee/Chandler, TX
    I am getting ready to replace a leaking gas tank in my Tudor, I have a very good one coming from Berts, but ..... I'm not totally sure what I should do now.

I have read Brent's thread over on the old barn regarding getting a tank clean, by cutting apart and then re-welding. But what do you do AFTER you get it clean? What do you do to keep it from turning back into a rusty tank?
    02-04-2018, 12:54 PM
  • cpf240
    YARGTT ( Yet Another Rusty Gas Tank Thread )
    by cpf240
    I've been following the various threads here on how members have been dealing with rusty fuel tanks. While I'd love to pull the tank and ship it off to Brent, that will have to wait.
    The Rust911 concentrate should arrive today. After a PM session over FB ( Facebook, not the ) with the Rust911 people, I'll be picking up 10 gallons of distilled water to use in the process.

As...
    01-25-2019, 05:02 PM
  • CSPIDY
    Gas Tank Rust Removal
    by CSPIDY
    Finally got around to addressing the rust in the gas tank of my 28 Tudor.
    the plan is to remove it, fill it with 10 gallons of Evaporust, clean with Por-15 cleaner degreaser, then prep with the Por-15 metal prep, followed with Por-15 paint coating.
    what are your thoughts? I have heard good reports on the Por-15 paint but have some reservations using an internal coating.
    any advise...
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    01-18-2019, 01:52 PM
  • dmdeaton
    Gas Tank Sealer
    by dmdeaton
    Mitch, you posted in the speedster build thread a link to Caswell's sealing kits.
    any more comments on this sealer? I am having 2 tanks cleaned and stripped at the moment. No leaks when I dropped them off. I heard mixed feelings on sealing VS not?...
    Plating Kits, Electroplating Kits, Aluminum Anodizing Kits, Gas Tank Sealer, Metal Polishing & Buffing Supplies. Do it yourself with plating kits from Caswell Inc. Selling chrome - nickel - cadmium - brass - gold - silver and metal polishing supplies.
    06-06-2018, 10:54 AM
  • Beauford
    Rusty's rear tank..
    by Beauford
    So while I wait on another tank I installed a T-ish cylinder tank in bed of truck. I have a fuel pump with a before and after filter, fuel regulator at 1 PSI and a electronic shutoff with a toggle switch that controls all. Well, Rusty cranks but no start. I removed fuel line from carb and turned on pump and fuel was flowing. Reconnected and put coil to head nut and cranked. Bright blue spark. It was...
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    08-12-2018, 07:01 PM
Working...
X