Funny story about repop parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny story about repop parts

When I was a boy my dad and a friend of his had model A's, My dad got a new set of hubcaps from jc whitney if I remember right, He opened the box and instead of Ford they were stamped Fool, He told his friend well they got that part right.

I remember reading threads about those Fool hubcaps over the years.HAH
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I saw one once.....

Comment

I had those that was back in the 70ts. I think I have sum hanging on the wall in the shop.

Comment

One of those was on a car we got in the early 70s, it wasn't real noticeable just walking by the car. I think it rusted.

Comment

My father had a set of those from J C Whitney. I think I still have some. If you looked closely, it said both Fool and Bool. A good way to get around the Ford copyright.
            Bill
            http://www.brauchauto.com/
            Eastern Connecticut

Comment

Put it on the spare for a conversation piece.

Comment

• BNCHIEF
                BNCHIEF commented
                Editing a comment
                I do not have them Tom apparently quite common.

• BILL WILLIAMSON
                BILL WILLIAMSON commented
                Editing a comment
                Once had a HORSE, that looked like a "string" toy, on top of the dash, it's held upright by a VACUUM HOSE. Designed to save GAS. It COLLAPSES, when you go FULL throttle.
                WHERE??? can I find one?
                Bill Toys

Someone sell me one of those FOOL caps please.

Comment

This is an old J.C.Whitney "Re-Run" Model A joke on "Re-Pop" parts from back in the 1950's when J.C.Whitney was famous for advertising lots of gas-saving devices in their catalogs.

I can't remember all of the exact details, but J.C. Whitney listed fuel-saving devices such as:

a) A metal gasket device to fit between the carburetor and manifold which introduced outside air to the fuel mix and guarantied 10% more miles per gallon; and,

b) A High Voltage coil that burned "ALL" fuel; hence added 13% more miles per gallon; and,

c) Specially designed tips on Hi-Intensity spark plugs which guarantied 7% more miles per gallon; and,

d) A spark intensifier fitted in the middle of one's coil wire to the distributor for 15% more miles per gallon; and,

e) High Octane liquid to add to gasoline to gain 11% more miles per gallon; and,

f) Etc.,etc., etc. with lots of inexpensive fuel-saving items listed, promising better gas mileage.

Anyway it was reported that one guy decided to perform a J.C. Whitney "Fuel Savings Test" and report back to J.C. Whitney on same about the effectiveness of their advertised gas saving devices:

1. In his written report, he wrote that he first filled his gas tank and recorded the mileage on his odometer to determine exact miles per gallon.

2. Next, after buying and installing "ALL" of these J.C. Whitney fuel saving devices, he drove off and at about one (1) accurately recorded mile that he read on his odometer, he had to immediately stop his vehicle.

3. His report included that the J.C. Whitney devices were "ALL" working effectively because he noticed that his Model A gas tank cap flew off and he clearly witnessed that his gas tank was profusely overflowing.

Comment

Yes , JC Whitney had a lot of parts for the A's before the current vendors got up and running.
                  We bought a bunch of cowl lights, tail lights, etc. for less than $10 a set if memory serves in the 1960's.

Comment

Over the years I have aquired a few of these hub caps. I culled them from the heard last year and put them in a seperate box from the few restorable originals I have as I did not want to accidently send them in for replating when I manage to get 5 or 10 original 29's. Rod
                    Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

Originally posted by dmdeaton View Post
                      Someone sell me one of those FOOL caps please.
                      Here you go,, they are always on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Model-...ZaKbxB&vxp=mtr
                      3 ~ Tudor's
                      Henry Ford said
                      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment