Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beauford
    commented on 's reply
    Dennis, the bolts I have are original. I ordered new baffles and bolts to be on the safe side. Thank you!

• Dennis
    commented on 's reply
    So if you order the new rear backing plate bolt set and use your old grease baffle with the spacers on the plate, the nuts are gonna be too long... and the bolts will be too short to get the cotter pins in. Beauford you might look at your bolts and nuts to make sure you have the correct ones for your backing plates and grease baffle.
    Last edited by Dennis; 12-22-2017, 01:28 AM.

• Dennis
    replied

Mitch commented
    Today, 08:15 PM
    Dennis which spacer?
    https://www.brattons.com/assemblies/...sembly-16.html
    • These spacers on the back side of old grease baffle. So they did away with the spacers spot welded to the plate and made the nuts longer and kept the bolts same length.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Mitch
    commented on 's reply
    Dennis which spacer?
    https://www.brattons.com/assemblies/...sembly-16.html

• Beauford
    commented on 's reply
    Fluid is at the bottom of fill hole. I jacked it up enough on other side to just remove tire and do brakes. I just put re-end on jacks and removed both tires and hubs to be ready for new grease baffles that I didnt have and it's dry in the area. I guess I'll check next time I run it.

• Dennis
    commented on 's reply
    Mitch, did they eliminate the spacers on the grease baffle? Those nuts don't look like mine

• 1931 Flamingo
    replied
    What's the level of rear end fluid?? How high did you jack it up??
    Paul in CT

Leave a comment:

• Mitch
    commented on 's reply
    They take special bolt and nuts for your info
    https://www.brattons.com/rear-backin...s-1-wheel.html

• Beauford
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Dennis....you have just made me place a order! I dont have the grease baffles....my work is never done.

• Beauford
    commented on 's reply
    I smelled it and it doesnt smell like 600. Smells like grease. I wiped down the area and see nothing leaking out the rear hub...dunno. What I do know is I do not have grease baffles back there. LOL just ordered. I thought I had saved the old ones. Might be at the scrap yard...

• Mitch
    replied
    Is it 600w or wheel bearing grease?

Leave a comment:

• Dennis
    replied
    A good way to tell left side from right side is the hole in the emergency backing plate is always at the bottom to match your service backing plate hole. That hole in the image is to the left of the word RIGHT.

Leave a comment:

• Dennis
    commented on 's reply
    The grease baffle fits in the emergency backing plate and the image does not show the spacers on the baffle either.

• Beauford
    commented on 's reply
    Hub bearing grease looking thick and red!! They are new backing plates so I hope they wouldn't be plugged.

• Dennis
    replied
    Sounds like your axle seal is leaking. Those are inside the axle housing and can only be changed by removing the housing. If they leak very much it will thin out the grease in your hub bearing cavity. If it is getting oil on your brake shoe then the hole in your backing plate might be plugged or there is grease and grime between the rear grease baffle and the backing plate preventing the excess to drain off through the hole in your backing plate.

Leave a comment:

• Beauford
    started a topic Rear axle seals

Rear axle seals

So when doing rear brakes I noticed a small amount like drip on top side of bottom brake.(didnt smell bad like 600) Could this be do to jacking up the other side when doing the brakes? I really am not that comfortable tearing down the rear end and installing new seals. I heard somewhere there is a seal that can go on hub side? I know that isn't correct but thought if this was to worry about to do that until I can find someone with more knowledge than tackling this myself.