• Show
Clear All
    No photos found.

Related Topics

Collapse

• carolinamudwalker
    Greasing rear axle
    by carolinamudwalker
    When I pulled my rear wheels I found a big glob of fresh grease that was about to find its way to my brake linings. Obviously I pumped in there. So my question is do you pump grease in the rear axles? This may have already been covered, I cant remember.
    06-21-2020, 09:03 AM
  • Great Lakes Greg
    Help me understand how rear axle seals work.
    by Great Lakes Greg
    Seems easy enough, right? Let me explain my confusion. I am working on a car with a bad leak on one side. Streaked wheel, soaked brakes, a real mess. I have heard over and over again, that the seals don't do much, because a spinning axle shaft flings the lube off before it makes it to the end of the bell. It then naturally drains back down the taper to the banjo housing. The only time the seal really...
    05-21-2019, 07:00 AM
  • chas1930
    rear wheel bearing grease.
    by chas1930
    very new to the Model ! vehicles. Inherited from my 95 year old father. 3 yrs ago I did manage to start and drive by myself. So I am learning very slow.
    OK, my question is... rear wheel bearing were installed 4 years ago on the restore process. Now 2,500 miles later I would like to know how to lube them. I think they are sealed but not sure. I see two fittings on the backing plate. Original...
    03-28-2020, 03:20 PM
  • Jamey E
    Quick question for you A experts
    by Jamey E
    Is there anything I need to replace with doing just a brake inspection?? I plan to grease bearings while apart, but should I order hub seals or anything else before I start? I’m thinking the brakes just need adjusted, but I won’t know till we tear into it...
    07-09-2019, 09:45 PM
  • tavvy
    Rear backing plate - no grease fitting?
    by tavvy
    Today I did my first 500 mile maintenance on my 1931 cc pickup, and noticed that I seemed to be missing the grease fitting on both rear backing plates directly below the axle tubes. I haven't found a good source yet for which grease fittings my Ford should have, and which ones it shouldn't.

In the Les Andrews book, in the lubrication diagram at location C, label 9 points to what looks...
    05-19-2020, 05:56 PM
  • dmdeaton
    Rear Axle Bearings
    by dmdeaton
    Quick question, when doing brake or axle work, do you guys pre pack the axle bearings in grease while reassembling? Or soak them in some rear end oil of choice? they are greased from the banjo oil?
    04-27-2018, 04:37 PM
  • 2manycars
    Rear hub grease seals
    by 2manycars
    How far in do the rear hub grease seals go on a 1940 ford rear axel?
    10-30-2018, 11:26 AM
  • Denis4x4
    Rear axle issues
    by Denis4x4
    Recently, the right rear drum is rubbing on the backing plate (39-42 Hydraulics). The right rear axle is 4-9/16" from the hub to the end of the axle. The left rear axle is 4-11/16" That 1/8" can not be shimmed as the contact on the shoes will be affected and how the drum seats on the axle taper. I pulled the axles and gears and can not figure where the 1/8" is missing. There's...
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    06-04-2020, 05:08 PM
  • Mickey
    Shimming rear hub question
    by Mickey
    When I disassembled the rear brakes for sending out for overhaul I found a worn through shim on the left rear hub. I'm about ready to reassemble the new rear brakes and am wondering how and what to check for as far as shimming is concerned. I ordered up a couple of new shims to have on hand just in case.
    04-17-2019, 09:21 AM
  • CountrySquire55
    Rear Wheel Bearing Grease Color Change
    by CountrySquire55
    Just replaced a broken left rear axle shaft in my 31 Slant Town Sedan with a good, used original shaft. When I pulled the rear drums/bearings/hubs off the car, the rear bearing grease (I used StaLube 3131 drum brake grease, a light yellow color in the can, and hand packed the bearings myself) had turned gray after about 2,000 miles of driving, about the color of anti-seize compound. There is no noticeable...
    09-23-2017, 07:39 AM
Working...
X