Exhaust pipe rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust pipe rattle

Does your exhaust pipe rattle at certain rpm? Recently I noticed at certain rpm or when I back off the throttle I get this rattling sound that sounds like it's coming from the exhaust pipe. I know it's not the engine pans, ran without them for a road test. Everything else is tight and when I bump it with the palm of my hand no rattle. If I bump the exhaust pipe after the muffler body I can get a rattle from it at I believe the clamp. So has anybody tried one of those clamps that has the material on the inner side to help reduce rattling?

You could drive a small wood wedge in the clamp and give it a quick run to see if the rattle goes away.
    My 28 has a rattle when I go over a bump or RR tracks, and I still haven't found it.

Comment

muffler baffle loose?
      gland ring get blown into muffler?

have seen both, they can rattle under various odd circumstances

Comment

• Dennis
        Dennis commented
        Editing a comment
        No gland rings, no muffler seal ring or gasket.

Well it sure was not one of the best designs. A loose fit on the tail pipe compounded with no insulator between there and the frame it will resonate. Many have adapted a modern style hanger for this reason. I'll stay stock and enjoy the sounds
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I was lucky enough to never have had a Model A tail pipe rattling problem, even with my former old steel Model A muffler or my new Stainless Steel Aries muffler; however, I remember guys coming to my Dad's 1840's rural General Merchandise Store years ago asking to buy asbestos containing kerosene lamp wicks to cushion loose, rattling joints at rear vehicle tail pipe clamps ...... never witnessed anyone returning lamp wicks saying they did not work for their kerosene lamps ....... or failed to work on their muffler clamps; but that was before Amazon (5) Star ratings where people appear to love giving their famous one (1) star ratings.

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          ☆☆☆☆☆

Yeah I might just have to get used to it. It gets annoying because it reminds me of how some of these youngsters hondas and other foreign cars sound with their aftermarket mufflers. It's a new Aries muffler so I hope that's not the problem. It only has a little over 1k miles on it.

Comment

• BNCHIEF
          BNCHIEF commented
          Editing a comment
          Dennis go to a race car shop get a little header wrap and cinch it up tight it will be fine.

• Dennis
          Dennis commented
          Editing a comment
          Did that and now I'm beginning to think it might have broke loose inside the muffler. I need a different car to try it on...

Rattles bother me, so I made a bracket that bolted to the stock hole for the tailpipe clamp, but extended forward to where the tailpipe meets the muffler, and used a universal tail pipe hanger with the rubber insulator riveted to both parts. It is now quiet, the way I like it.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        Bill
        http://www.brauchauto.com/
        Eastern Connecticut

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          That hanger is called a swinger 360

Just throwing this out, maybe it will stick, IF the bend in front of the muffler is prefect, could this cause a rattle? IF the bend is off and you would have to force the pipe up or down in the clamp this tension keeping rattling down?
        When I installed my Aries I made the connection first at the manifold with a support under the muffler. Then I pushed the pipe up and into the clamp, no rattles, just the clicking from heat expansion!

Comment

• Dennis
          Dennis commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know if I'd want that strain (?) on the flange. When I bolted it up the last time and everytime before that, I got the tailpipe in the clamp with a couple threads on the nut in case I needed to slide the muffler forward or back to get it located in the right place on the ex manifold. But I'll try what you suggested.
          Last edited by Dennis; 12-21-2017, 12:41 AM.

FWIW:

While considering that securely fastening the manifold to muffler clamp is of primary structural importance for muffler front suspension support, as well as insuring a tight 360 degree metal to cast iron fit at this joint to avoid leakage, I installed my SS Aries in a similar manner to that described in #8 above.

1. First, with movable and adjustable wood supports under the large part of the SS muffler, try to "perfectly" align the movable 90 degree vertical part of the smaller front muffler pipe, (in front of the larger diameter part of the muffler), with the non-movable 90 degree vertical rear part of the exhaust manifold.

2. Carefully adjust and align the muffler vertical member with the exhaust manifold vertical member, (while observing straight alignment of these two (2) vertical members from front, rear, and sides), prior to installing the manifold to muffler clamp.

3. Install the manifold to muffler clamp and re-verify vertical alignment.

4. Lastly, push rear part of tail pipe upwards into the tailpipe clamp and loosely clamp same to allow for linear metal tailpipe heat expansion .

5. It has always been my experience that there should be an upward or downward force from the tailpipe exerted on the tailpipe clamp to prevent loose tailpipe rattling.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I would reach under the muffler with a rubber mallet and tap upward on the muffler to see if it will make the sound.
          It might be brake rods or something else vibrating at a certain RPM.

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            I always use my big rubber old school hub cap mallet to ck for rattles at the shop

If you 'load' the exhaust your setting a condition that results in cracking.

Comment

Not sure this photo has been posted before in another thread, but this is our rear clamp from a NAPA $5 hanger made to fit at the frame hole.(similar in concept to Bill's in post 7). It's fairly rigid by adding some pipe strap to reinforce/ complement the hanger strapping,but the double rubber allows for movement. Also, with float a motors, this accommodates some engine "flex".
            Attached Files
            Last edited by plyfor; 12-21-2017, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• 2manycars
              2manycars commented
              Editing a comment
              Somehow that pdf does not work as well as a jpg. When I clicked on it, a file was downloaded to my computer, and a big dark picture came up, but I dont know where the file was downloaded to, or what it was.

I made a hanger that looks something like post #7

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

This is not answering your question, but I bought the clamp that was lined with some heat proof woven material and it only lasted a few hundred miles. I do not know if they still sell this clamp (think it was Aries).

John

Comment

• Dennis
                Dennis commented
                Editing a comment
                I've installed the clamp and still the same. I'm going to try a different muffler eventually to rule it out. Waiting for another member to go half with me for freight on a muffler. If I remember correctly, Aries told me the freight was the same for 2 mufflers as they can put both in the same box. Seems like I remember seeing that when I got mine from them but that was too long ago.
                Last edited by Dennis; 01-31-2018, 12:18 PM.

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                That is correct Dennis
                Get a Model A buddy to buy one also

• carolinamudwalker
                carolinamudwalker commented
                Editing a comment
                John, I used bailing wire in 3 places to hold the woven material in place, but not enough mileage to know if it will work.

Henry designed the rear muffler clamp to allow some flexibility at the point of pipe to clamp area in the back. Originals were somewhat thicker and shaped to allow clamping bolt adjustments at the correct angle. The original clamp design is a little different than today's replacements. My second 1930 Coupe had one. Never any "rattling" issues.

Comment

Getting back on this and was wondering if anybody has a picture of the rear clamp in relation to the tailpipe. Or maybe a dimension from the rear crossmember where the hole in the frame is to hold the clamp.

Comment

Dennis , can you open the (dark) photo in post #12? We tried oil lamp wicks,the liners from the vendors, etc. with not much success as posted by others. AL's nice clamp in post 13 appears centered on the tail pipe hump as is ours. We clamped the muffler to the manifold 1st and using an original style rear clamp for position only, then adjusted the homemade rubber clamp system to suit. We also tapped the side of one or 2 mufflers, and the internal baffles made noise. The Aries muffler baffles didn't resonate, etc.

Comment

ANYONE that's ever even been around a car knows YOU DON'T MOUNT EXHAUST STUFF SOLID TO THE FRAME OR BODY!!!!

Comment

Ok, first of all I know better than to mount a muffler/tailpipe solid to the frame or body. I would never load a muffler or pipe anything on an exhaust system. You have to let an exhaust system expand and contract without strain. I changed the muffler last night, stock Aries plain black, and the sound is gone. The clamp, soon after this thread was started I opened up the clamp so it had a lot more room plus I stitched up a piece of welding blanket material and placed it between the clamp and tailpipe. It has plenty of free movement. The clamp change made no difference in the sound, it happens at a certain rpm when decelerating. So when I had a chance to change the muffler that was what I did. I haven't been able to get some road test time in with it yet so that will give me a better idea how things are going to end up. Initial running in the garage and checking for leaks resulted in no unusual sounds. Also in years past I would have never considered using the exhaust pipe sealer that Aries recommended. I have used it several times in the past 3 years and am impressed how well it works. That stuff is as hard as a rock and not that easy to get off after it's cured. Another thing the muffler that had a rattling unusual sound was a Aries high performance muffler. Maybe that's just the way they sound, I don't know.
                      Last edited by Dennis; 03-07-2018, 01:07 AM.

Comment

• DaWizard
                        DaWizard commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey Dennis, if you aren't going to use that old muffler, I'll be happy to test it for you on my car. Anything newer than 50yrs old would be better than what I have.

• Dennis
                        Dennis commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm thinking about chopping the flange off and fitting it to the collector for my cast iron header. btw, how's the engine coming along?

• DaWizard
                        DaWizard commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well........it looks like this block will be used for pressure oiling mock-up, so for now, I am drilling holes in it. We'll see.

• Dennis
                        Dennis commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'll be patiently waiting to see your thread on it and how it turns out.