Front Hub Grease Cup(Dust Cap)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Hub Grease Cup(Dust Cap)

We were working on a friends 1931 indented firewall S/W Town Sedan the other day. We redid his front brakes and put everything back together. He has the press on Grease Cup A-1138 to protect the bearings. When he put his wheel back on the cup has pushed the hubcap out on the wheel! Have any of you seen this happen before and what possible things need to be corrected or looked at?

Jerry

I know that to install the dust cap the washer usually needs to be turned down to a slightly smaller diameter. I haven't heard of the dust cap hitting the hub cap. I'd just leave it stock with no dust cap, as the wheel protects it quite well.

Comment

• Beauford
      Beauford commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a bag of dust caps if anyone wants them...I see no use.

My late31 tudor has the grease caps on and no problems with 19 inch wheels with repoped wheel caps, may be my grease caps are from something later? Not all wheel caps are correct ( I have read) some are flater.

Comment

Were the grease caps "seated"??
      Paul in CT

Comment

I have had no problem with the grease/dust caps. I did notice that when putting my brakes back together that the caps have a strange stamping on them. Turns out that the marking is actually an H with an i superimposed on it, as in International Harvester. Maybe all caps of that era were interchangeable?
        Alaskan A's
        Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
        Model A Ford Club of America
        Model A Restorers Club
        Antique Automobile Club of America
        Mullins Owners Club

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
          BILL WILLIAMSON commented
          Editing a comment
          Caps help, when going through DEEP WATER.

Related Topics

Collapse

• S.Torrance
        Front wheel hub cap being pushed out
        by S.Torrance
        I have a 1931 Fordor and members of my club have helped on extensive repairs to it. We discovered a situation that I need some help on. Right front wheel - when I tighten the wheel onto the drum, the dust cover pushes out the hub cap out about 1/4 inch. The left wheel / hub is fine. I roughly measured the wheel and compared to other wheels (stud hole to the end of the hub). They all seem to be...
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 5 photos.
        12-23-2017, 12:18 AM
      • Soapy
        Hub Caps (wheel covers)
        by Soapy
        I did a search before asking this question and didn't find anything. How do you install the hub caps on a 1930-31 wheel so that it doesn't rattle?...
        03-15-2019, 07:37 AM
      • BNCHIEF
        Hubcaps
        by BNCHIEF
        Putting hub caps on the model a wheel what is a good way to do these and keep them tight and from moving around. One guy has a video posted where he uses silicone seal but I think that is a bad idea. Just wondering what some others here do.
        09-12-2017, 07:11 AM
      • fred93
        29 Repro gas cap question
        by fred93
        The original gas cap on the 29 Tudor that I am restoring would not tighten down. The threads looked okay but when I tried to tighten it down it just kept turning. So I bought a repro from Brattons and when I went to put it on the gas tank I seemed to have a tough time of it. Those fine threads are a pain (I guess that is why Ford changed it on to 30-31 cars)

Anyway, I got it to fit (I...
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 3 photos.
        03-20-2018, 01:10 PM
      • bosticjb
        BRAKE WEDGE DUST CAP
        by bosticjb
        REPLACED FRONT BRAKE ADJUSTING WEDGES AND HAVING TROUBLE GETTING THE DUST CAP BACK IN PLACE , ANY SUGGESTIONS ?
        10-22-2018, 07:04 PM
      • Loubob
        Radiator cap rebuild
        by Loubob
        I want to install a motormeter in a repro 1930/31 cap. Does anyone sell the inner cap parts necessary to do the rebuild? Anyone offer this service? Suggestions?
        I don't want the locking cap. Thanks! Loubob...
        10-20-2017, 09:01 PM
      • canadian
        gas cap sucks
        by canadian
        1929 gas cap , Vintique 100%. 10 karat crap, can't even reproduce a fu$#ing gas cap. original back on....
        03-27-2018, 04:31 PM
      • Ayyy
        NOS Rear Wheel Hub Roller BEARINGS
        by Ayyy
        I search for them, as many people do, but never find.
        There are a few out there, somewhere. Maybe.
        Has anyone found some in the last few years?

“If I cease searching, then, woe is me, I am lost. That is how I look at it - keep going, keep going come what may.”
        Vincent van Gogh...
        04-30-2018, 12:58 AM
      • WayneT
        Center Main Bearing Cap
        by WayneT
        (FYI, I am working under the car.) I removed the center main bearing cap due to fact it has bad Babbitt. I am going to replace the bad cap with a good cap with good Babbitt. The old cap had 4 shims on each side totaling .014 shim thickness on each side. I am seeking an answer from someone that is knowledgeable on A main bearing cap replacement. (from under the car). My question is, how much total...
        01-28-2018, 12:54 PM
      • Jerry Kzoo
        Rear Main Bearing Cap
        by Jerry Kzoo
        I have a spare engine that I thought I would disassemble and try to get running. It appears to be in very good shape with pistons .080 over and valves in good shape. My concern came when I looked at the rear main cap. It has a shorter flange for the bolts holding it on and as a result needed 5/8" spacers(larger nuts) put in to fill the gap to get the castle nut high enough to engage the cotter...
        10-04-2017, 03:45 PM
      Working...
      X