Adjusting Camber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting Camber

Is there a way to adjust camber? Do you have to remove the axle to do it? Thanks, David

No Dave you do it in the car but that really needs to be done an alignment shop preferably a truck shop they have the knowledge and know how to do something like IMO.

Comment

Yep, like BNCHIEF said, an older well established alignment shop or Truck shop is the best bet to be able to do it correctly.

Comment

Thanks, I'll start asking around. Do you know what it should be set at?

Comment

Ck this out from the chassis tech area

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...nt-information
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I guess Dave what makes you think it is off? But a good shop can tell you where you stand and what Mitch posted is spot on.

Comment

Chief there are very few items that have not been referenced here . For being seven months old the VFF is already a hell of a resource.
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• BNCHIEF
                BNCHIEF commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a fact Jack not to mention it is archived and at your fingertips no searching several threads which makes this a great resource.

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                Chief
                I'm not sure if this is noticed by all, but most of the tech item posts have the original link attached. I do this because many times more content is added after it's copied to the specialty forums.

• BNCHIEF
                BNCHIEF commented
                Editing a comment
                Good point and a great idea as well Mitch, well done sir.

It seems like the tires are wearing on the inside and for sure there is a lot of information here. And answers to questions

Comment

What about toe in? If they are wearing close to the same amount, that maybe be it
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just about every car i put on the rack that had the toe set by a manual gauge, broom stick, or shower rod is way off.

I didn't know toe in could cause that I thought it was a camber issue. I have to find someone who can do this. Bring my list with.

Comment

• BNCHIEF
                  BNCHIEF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dave go visit a shop that does class 8 truck alignments my car was done on a modern machine like the one Mitch uses my camber was fine toe-in was not as Mitch mentioned. Also it will show how all four wheels track. I am no alignment expert but my car drives beautifully. I am a big fan of radials as well makes a huge difference in making the car steer easily.

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dave
                  Beware of those chain style tire alignment joints that employ mostly the inexperienced.

• BNCHIEF
                  BNCHIEF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do not know where you live but should be able to find a reputable place and like Mitch said stay away from the chain shops for sure.

Thanks for giving me a direction to head. Radials will be on my list.

Comment

Dave check out the thread do radials really improve steering H.L. Chauvin gave us all the right info you need on radials and this will save you a lot of searching and headaches or do-overs.

Comment

Alignment specs ? They are a bit sketchy as the manufacturers were still trying to figure this out.

Ford changed the toe-in spec from 3/16" to 1/16" [ +or - 1/32"] which was a good change
                    Castor is set at 5 degrees
                    Camber was spec'd in inches for some strange reason. 1 13/16" if memory serves . In my option thats a lot, a whole heck of a lot. I'd cut that back to about 1/2 degree.

Both the castor and camber should be positive.

Comment

I'll check that thread. Was thinking of 16 inch 35 ford rims with radials but kinda like the 19's. Thanks Patrick for the specs

Comment

There is also a thread in the chassis tech section that had info out of the dykes manual which is the specs I used.

Comment

Chief that is the link i referenced in post #5
                          3 ~ Tudor's
                          Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• BNCHIEF
                            BNCHIEF commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Time for me to go to the shop, see what happens when you get old.

• Mitch
                            Mitch commented
                            Editing a comment
                            HAHA

Patrick's specs were the same..

Read the thread on radials. A lot of good information. I guess it's Alignment,shocks,radials in that order.

Comment

If the tires are old,hard, and worn ANY new tire is going to make it ride and drive better. JMO
                            Paul in CT

Comment

• BNCHIEF
                              BNCHIEF commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Your right Paul the biggest thing I noticed about radials is it seems like the car has power steering now these turn so easily it makes a big difference, but they should for the price.