No announcement yet.

The MARC National Meet in Gettysburg..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The MARC National Meet in Gettysburg..

Hello everyone.. Here are your updates for the MARC National in Gettysburg. July 30-Aug 4th 2017

The Welcome Event

Gettysburg National Military Park Museum
    And Visitor Center
    Enjoy unlimited use of the entire facility, this modern and updated venue will provide an excellent introduction to your week in Gettysburg.
    During this Exciting Private Evening the MARC Membership can explore the vast array of exhibits and displays this Museum and Vistor Center has to offer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Your Evening includes:
    1. “A New Birth of Freedom” A film narrated by Morgan Freeman and sponsored by the History Channel;
    2. The Cyclorama which is the nation’s largest painting that places visitors in the fury of Pickett’s Charge on the third day of the battle
    3. Gettysburg Museum of the American Civil War which houses 11 exhibit galleries featuring Gettysburg National Military Park artifacts and interactive displays
    4. Gilder Lehrman Institute Special Exhibits Gallery
    5. Mingle with and be photographed alongside actors portraying Abraham Lincoln and Gen. & Mrs. Robert E. Lee.
    6. Refreshments and hors d’oeuvres will be provided along with a cash bar.
    7. This is our own private showing that you should not miss

MORE Updates....see you all their!!!

Gettysburg Meet Updates For All

There have been some cancelations and there may now be room at the Wyndham and Marriott Courtyard. If interested, people may want to call these hotels to check on availability.
    Wyndham 717.339-0020
    Marriott: 717.334-5600
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    The drive yourself to Hickory Bridge Lunch and Totem Pole Playhouse on Wednesday is sold out. We have 9 spaces available for the bus trip to these events.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    The 10:30 – 1:30 movie and Gettysburg battlefield bus trip on Tuesday is almost sold out. If the 10:30-1:30 timeslot is the first preference, you should specify a second choice on their registration form.

Comment

Thank You for posting
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

What could be better; combining a Model A tour with visiting the Gettysburg National Battlefield! Wish I could go. I spent a week at Gettysburg a couple of years ago. I was awed by the experience. I especially remember being at "The Angle" as the sun came up, looking across the open field where thousands of Confederate soldiers attacked in what became known as "Pickett's Charge". Some historians say it was on that spot that the tide of war turned, leading eventually to restoration of the Union and creation of the United States we know today. Don't miss it if you have the opportunity. By the way, here's a couple of books if you're interested in learning about the Battle of Gettysburg:

James McPherson, "Hallowed Ground: A walk at Gettysburg" (2009); A short, very readable guide to the most prominent places
        Stephen W. Sears, "Gettysburg" (2003); An award-winning history of the battle, but >500 pages
        Harry W. Pfanz, "Gettysburg"; 3 big volumes for the full-meal-deal. Lots of detail here but too much for many readers.
        Kent Masterson Brown, "Cushing of Gettysburg" (1993) about a Union battery commander killed defending "The Angle"

Hope those of you who go have a wonderful trip in your amazing cars at this amazing place! Post pictures please!

Mike in far-away Oregon

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          i will take and post so many pics you'll think you were there

• BNCHIEF
          BNCHIEF commented
          Editing a comment
          Being a history buff especially Gettysburg and the civil war i look forward to your pictures.

PLEASE see our new post on the Web Site NOW on line!!! ...........mark

Comment

Mark, Any idea where the mandatory tour (grand tour) will take us? I have not seen anything on the MARC or Hub City web sites.
          Dave

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            You can email Elizabeth from hub city directly
            If you find out let us know

[email protected]

Mitch,
          I had sent and e mail Beth last week and have not heard back from them yet. Since I saw Mark's post on this site, I thought I would ask him.
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave in MD View Post
            Mitch,
            I had sent and e mail Beth last week and have not heard back from them yet. Since I saw Mark's post on this site, I thought I would ask him.
            Dave

Dave I Emailed Beth and here is the response back..

Hi Mitch,

We have not published details of the Grand Tour because our meet chairman has chosen to wait and distribute the details and directions on the morning of the tour. I can tell you that it will be about a 35 mile drive through the Pennsylvania countryside.
            Beth Baldasarre
            2017 MARC National Meet Registrar
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Mitch,
              I also got the same e mail from Beth to my earlier query to her. So, I guess that those of us going on the tour will all be surprised.
              Dave

Comment

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes it sure seems that way, i would liked to have known the route ahead of time also. If there are any dirt or gravel roads i'll be taking a detour

Mark, Any idea where the mandatory tour (grand tour) will take us? I have not seen anything on the MARC or Hub City web sites.
              Dave
              What can happen if you disclose the destination for the Grand Tour is lots of cars will skip most of the tour and take some kind of shortcut to the final destination.

Comment

Dave
                Here I sit on the lower left coast wondering if this is indeed a "Model A Restorer's Club" function and they are making the tour "mandatory", what in the holy world of restorers would make anyone think that the road trip would take a restored car out into the bush or off-roading in any way?

You can't tell me that by making the run a surprise means that all the beautifully restored cars will be taken out into a corn field and run through the furrows.

Relax, it will probably be the best scenic tour you will have been on in years.

You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

35 miles the fine point people will not like that !!!
                  Mike
                  Michael
                  1928 speedster
                  1929 closed cab p/u
                  1930 standard roadster
                  1931 deluxe tudor sedan
                  1967 ss/rs conv.camaro

Comment

• DaWizard
                    DaWizard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    *rolls eyes* You mean to tell me a fine point car is pushed into the trailer, then pushed out with never a drop of gas or oil or even coolant added?

I sure am glad I never wanted to build a fine point car. Sure sounds like a whole lot of fuss for no reward. I'll drive mine til the wheels fall off, then change the oil
                    Last edited by DaWizard; 06-26-2017, 01:55 PM.

• Mitch
                    Mitch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mike
                    Is it mandatory for the fine point cars to participate in the tour? I thought it was just the touring class

Maybe that is why they have changed the name to the Grand Tour. At one time the fine point cars had to run the tour and at some meets they had a shorter route to run. Guess we will see on August 3rd.
                  Dave

Comment

35 mile tour for FINE POINT CARS.... I'll bring a tow chain just in case someone needs a tow....!

Comment

• DaWizard
                      DaWizard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Don't forget the bucket of water!!

Mitch,
                    In the 4 meets I have attended in the past all cars being judged must complete the tour .
                    mike
                    Michael
                    1928 speedster
                    1929 closed cab p/u
                    1930 standard roadster
                    1931 deluxe tudor sedan
                    1967 ss/rs conv.camaro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      Mitch,
                      In the 4 meets I have attended in the past all cars being judged must complete the tour .
                      mike
                      NOT True.... it is not the MANDATORY Tour anymore for Fine Point... That tour as in Ohio was about 1 mile in the parking lot, in Niagra it was 5 miles, that has changed recently..

Comment